Morimoto bulb install troubles

I just got my 55w morimoto hid kit. I got everything wired up and so far everything that I was worried about isn't a problem, it fires every time and works with the auto headlights.One of the few thing that I wasn't worried about turned into a problem. I can't get the bulbs in for the life of me. I compared to the OEM light for orientation and that puts the return wire on the bottom. I can get them into the slots this way but I can't turn the bulb to seat it all of the way. The return wire on the bottom is giving me a shadow and the cutoff isn't very clean because they aren't seated tight enough. I then turned back to kc300c's video for guidance. He shows the return wire oriented to the outside of the car. I can't get the tabs to line up this way. What am I doing wrong?

I had to trim my morimotos a bit. I probably wouldn't have had to if I had lowered the front fascia/bumper and simply taken the headlights out.

That would have saved me a LOT of time, f-bombs and busted knuckles.

I had same issues when I originally tried to install my DDM bulbs. I think the edge is just a b!tch to swap bulbs out while keeping the headlights installed.

I took the bumper off and headlights out. I also ended up trimming about 1/8" of an inch off the biggest tab. Made my life easier.

I am going to start with a mirror and see if I can just get a better look at how it's all lining up, but this may be the route that I need to take.

I am going to start with a mirror and see if I can just get a better look at how it's all lining up, but this may be the route that I need to take.

If ya stick your head in there at the right angle you can see how the tabs should line up. Ya gotta use a flashlight. Wish I would have known this the first time I installed a set of DDMs in my Edge.

I got everything sorted out last night with a mirror and now they are perfect. The pattern and cutoff is much better and no more shadow. I had to rotate the bulb so they were 1 tab clockwise from where they actually lined up to. 1 tab had to be trimmed quite a bit, like half of it, but then the slid it and rotated to seat tightly. For the proper alignment the return wire had to be at the 6 O'clock position. When placing them into the housing it was at about 8 O'clock looking towards the car or 4 O'clock from the back of the housing.

Thanks for all of the help and feedback.

• Like 1