Wheels, tires and springs

Well we took the plunge and got my lovely wife a 2008 MKX. She absolutely loves the vehicle as does the whole family. While we were buying it she said "you are going to get me wheels and tires right?". First off she doesn't care for a lip on the wheels she likes the flat face look but not stock. We were thinking of 20" TSW Vortex in chrome since they are similar to the Q5s she had on her Acura. The largest they come in is 20" with widths of 8.5 and 10. I told her if we get 20s she should drop it because of the large gap which would probably be they case for 22s as well. I have seen the pics in the galleries but not all the details are in there. I would like to see as many pics as any of you guys/girls can provide with the details like width, diameter and tire sizes as well as opinions on ride also any spring info. She would not mind a stiffer ride but would like it smoother that her Acura that had 18s with 45s and definetly not want the rubbing. Anything you can privide would be helpful.

post-1575-1193660337_thumb.jpg

Well we took the plunge and got my lovely wife a 2008 MKX. She absolutely loves the vehicle as does the whole family. While we were buying it she said "you are going to get me wheels and tires right?". First off she doesn't care for a lip on the wheels she likes the flat face look but not stock. We were thinking of 20" TSW Vortex in chrome since they are similar to the Q5s she had on her Acura. The largest they come in is 20" with widths of 8.5 and 10. I told her if we get 20s she should drop it because of the large gap which would probably be they case for 22s as well. I have seen the pics in the galleries but not all the details are in there. I would like to see as many pics as any of you guys/girls can provide with the details like width, diameter and tire sizes as well as opinions on ride also any spring info. She would not mind a stiffer ride but would like it smoother that her Acura that had 18s with 45s and definetly not want the rubbing. Anything you can privide would be helpful.

When I first read that, I was thinking she wasn't sure the MKX came with wheels and tires.

I have 20's and imho there isn't a big gap. Couple of people have 22's that weren't lowered and they look good too.

My tires are 275's and I have absolutely no rubbing. Someone has 305's (I think NYEdge?) and he hasn't said a thing about rubbing.

You won't have any rubbing issues (unless you try to mount some really, really wide tires)

As Good_Hands says, we have members running tires up to 305 tread width with no mention of rubbing.

I'm running a set of 275/45R20s.

As far as the "gap" between the tire and the fenders... imo there is definitely more than necessary and it will stay the same if you keep the factory overall diameter the same.

Some of us, myself included, have had the H&R Sport springs installed. They effectively lower the vehicle nearly (to right at) 2".

With these springs however the lowering is secondary to the stiffer ride. The handling and cornering are MUCH better than stock - less body roll of course but also lower center of gravity.

I haven't searched for a lowering kit which does not increase stiffness.

Possibly a company such as H&R offers or will offer springs which are softer than the Sport set many of us have.

A custom suspension shop could feasibly cut the factory springs which would effectively reduce the ride height without "adversely" affecting the ride stiffness.

At least one member here says he didn't notice a difference in stiffness. He qualified that statement with "maybe because I didn't want to notice".

I can tell you for a fact the H&R set definitely stiffens the ride quite a bit.

The springs have apparently broken in some... and of course I have adjusted... but they are still much stiffer than stock.

That stiffness isn't a bad thing imho but does have me avoiding speed bumps if at all possible and weaving around really bad spots on bad roads (of which there are plenty in my area)

Another option concerning the gap between the tire and the fender would be to install a larger diameter wheel/tire combination.

In that case your speedometer and odometer would be off but could be recalibrated (from what I read) by a company such as Evolution Performance, Inc. from THIS thread. Also a larger overall diameter wheel/tire combo would effectively raise the vehicle's ride height 1/2 the amount of the additional diameter, or the same amount you would lessen the gap between tread and fender.

Keep in mind too that braking efficiency would be affected with an overall taller wheel/tire combination. A larger diameter rotor and better after market calipers would be a consideration in this case. I'm planning to get better braking hardware at some point but as of yet have no links for you there.

Hope that helped :)

Edited by scoopo

Thanks for the info and support. If possible can you guys provide wheel width of your aftermarket setup as well as tire sizes. The wheels my wife likes (TSW Vortex) come in a max diameter of 20 in and 8.5 and 10 in width. I want to make sure it doesn't look like stock but I think a 10 in width will be too wide. Thanks again..

Thanks for the info and support. If possible can you guys provide wheel width of your aftermarket setup as well as tire sizes. The wheels my wife likes (TSW Vortex) come in a max diameter of 20 in and 8.5 and 10 in width. I want to make sure it doesn't look like stock but I think a 10 in width will be too wide. Thanks again..

The factory 18" wheels are 7.5" wide.

I got 20x8.5 and they look perfect (to me) width-wise.

And with the additional 30mm tread width from 245 to 275 I think the sizing came out just right.

post-1289-1193762593_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1193762629_thumb.jpg

KSN177...i saw your thread and wanted to help. I am the 1 with the 305 size tires. I went with 22" wheels and 305/40-22 tires. I also lowered mine with h&r springs like a couple of the members on here. I love the way it handles and looks. I recommend if you go with 22's, that u get a 35 series tire. My 40 series tire in the rear make an ever so slight rub up against the plastic inner fender liner at 50mph or above on big bumps (railroad tracks etc.) It does no damage, just annoying. I will change to a 35 series when these tires wear out in another 25,000 miles or so. Also...go to this website...1010 tires.com...they have a setup where u can log in your standard edge tire size, and then add 4 other sizes u are thinking of getting...u click on calculate and it will tell u the speed differance, sizes, and warns u if the size u inputed is not recomended. It is an outstanding site. Here are pics of my edge before and after lowering with the springs and then with the 22's added. Hope this all helps........ 1st photo is stock heightpost-650-1193801360_thumb.jpg 2nd photo is after HR springs added post-650-1193801320_thumb.jpg 3rd photo with lowering, and 22" wheels /tirespost-650-1193801392_thumb.jpg.

Edited by SALEENS7

Thanks for all the information folks you all have some great looking Edges/MKXs. No offense to anyone but my wife really likes the look and stance of ramhi4x's setup. ramhi4x are you out there I would like any details like wheel width etc you can provide. My wife is worried about switching the springs out so does anyone have pics of 22s without drop. Sorry fols I don't mean to be a pain I just would like to do it right the 1st time. -Kevin

Thanks for all the information folks you all have some great looking Edges/MKXs. No offense to anyone but my wife really likes the look and stance of ramhi4x's setup. ramhi4x are you out there I would like any details like wheel width etc you can provide. My wife is worried about switching the springs out so does anyone have pics of 22s without drop. Sorry fols I don't mean to be a pain I just would like to do it right the 1st time. -Kevin

ramhi4x:

"...I've lowered it via an H&R spring kit, and put 22's & 285/35's"

LINK to thread.

Clickable thumbnails:

post-1289-1193943403_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1193943430_thumb.jpg

So 285/35R22 tires on unknown width 22" wheels.

I suspect about a 10" wheel width as they appear more than 10mm wider than the 275s I and a few others are running.

It does look pretty sweet :shades:

Anyone know the details on Bleededges setup? It appears to be 22s without a drop.

He uhhh, ended up not liking his edge.. said it had a lot of problems. Came back on and was preaching how we all would hate the day we bought one. Wonder if it was because of what he did to it. I notice all of his posts have been deleted now also.

Edited by 07 MKX

Only car I have never had problems with is Acura and Honda but most of their cars are hideous now (IMO) in fact we traded in a 2004 Acura TL on the MKX. My wife hated the looks of the MDX and it rode like it was a cheap suv. Oh well I hope BleedingEdge got what he liked and hope we made a good choice.