IA remote key fobs and push button start inconsistency

Thanks to FordService (Todd) on this forum I was able to get the best resolve for my remote start issue. Being this is my first remote start the inconsistency problem really turns out to be in some areas the range may vary greatly due to signal interference. In my case, my remote start range where I work is about 75 feet at best or about 30 steps away. Anything beyond it doesn't work. The reasoning explained by the Ford Tech is the location of my work is within a mile of Rickenbacher Air Base. I've accepted this explanation because in every other case I've used the remote start it works perfectly every time with a 300+ ft range and sometimes even working from inside of a store. However, I have what I believe is still a legit gripe. A friend where I work has an after market remote start on his pickup and his works from well inside the same building. The tech told me after market remotes have better range primarily because that is what they specialize in! Thus I have to ask the obvious......an Edge Sport maxed out with options has a sticker of 40 grand plus and they're telling me an after market unit for an older pickup is better?? Ok, I'm not dissatisfied because remote start is just a bonus deal for me and low on my priority list but that explanation makes little sense.

Well, you can also upgrade to the 2-way extended range remote start that is available as a Ford Accessory.

My direction is not aimed specifically at quality as I do understand the simple logic of frequency band. The tech mentioned the after market product specializes in remotes and therefore is making a statement, in his opinion, they typically have a longer range....quality aside.....they work better more often. He said it, not me and I assumed by that what he meant is they work better than the installed factory units. And all I am simply saying a vehicle in this price range seemingly should have a comparable, if not better long range remote than what one can buy in the average after market unit. Quality, luck, whatever.....if longer range is possible and after market is generally better why don't they just say spend an additional 350 and you too can have long range like the average after market.

• 5 weeks later...

I was in the dealer this week for a few common problems with the Edge (mine being a 2013 SE) before the warranty expires - I am already at 35k+ miles. Anyhow, one of my issues is inconsistency with the keyfobs.

The service manager asked whether I have anything plugged into the 12v socket, and that they think this is possibly one of the sources of interference?

It isn't the case for me, but just thought I would mention for anyone having this problem.