IA remote key fobs and push button start inconsistency

Ok, I admit I'm new to this remote start. I bought my 2012 Sport used and it has IA remote start fobs as well as push button start. The sales guy demonstrated the remote start by first locking the doors by pushing the lock button twice. Then pushing the 2x remote button twice and it worked both when he did it and then myself doing it. Easy, right. However at home this technique would not work. So I realize that it may need reset by putting foot on brake and then starting with the interior push button start and then shutting down to begin again. Still nothing. The service guy at ford called me and ask me to try it by pushing the fob lock button just one time and then 2x the remote start. It worked again.....however it occasionally doesn't and here is what I have experimented with. Not always but sometimes I have to lock once, then unlock and lock again and then it will remote start. There doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason but certainly it does not seem to work one way all of the time and consistently. I have tried numerous times and one of methods above eventually works but I don't know why. Am I still missing something or could there be some oddity causing this? I also realize that the remote start will only work 2 times within an hour without resetting. Any suggestions appreciated.

Is the same issue happening with both fobs? Could that one of them has a weak battery.

Another thaught, are you sure the vehicles registers the "lock" command? I would suspect that it isn't abd hence the sequence would fail. Try for some time pressing the lock button twice (and hearing the horn chirp to confirm) then press the remote start button twice.

Thanks, Omar. Yes, it acts the same with both fobs. As I mentioned, the sales guy initially demonstrated it by pushing the lock button twice (horn chirp), remote start button 2x and it worked for him and it also worked for me.....however, it does not always work. That's when the service guy advised pushing the lock button only one time and then the remote start button twice. That worked as well.....but not always....there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern and that is what is confusing me. Sometimes the pattern is lock, unlock, lock, remote button 2x and that will work.....go figure?

akirby, I understand your point that the system only recognizes whatever it is set for. It probably is as simple as weak battery(s) as I think about it. Some say these batteries have a long life range up to seven years but then again that has to be somewhat subjective to the specific conditions. I know this vehicle was only driven randomly over a long time owned by the dealership and this winter has been extremely harsh. As for range, this is happening standing beside the car. Anyway, I'm going to replace them and see if it helps. Thanks.

Not exactly. If it works some of the time then the fob is obviously programmed to the vehicle correctly. I just meant that for some reason the button press isn't being seen by the vehicle. Could be simple interference - do you have anything else on the keychain with the fob?

If nothing else on the keychain that might be interfering with the radio signal and you've changed the batteries in the fobs then it sounds like the receiver in the vehicle is having antenna issues.

12EdgeSport,

When you have to do a sequence other than the factory one, do you see the lights on the vehicle working on every press? Is yes, then the remote is working and it's not a battery issue. May I suggest that you disconnect the car's battery for ~30 minutes? Sometimes forcing a reset to electronics fixes them.

Edit: Just for information, the remote stat works consistently as per the factory sequence (press 1xLock then 2xStart), so it is designed & should work correctly.

Edited by omar302

I just replaced the IA fob batteries. I've not really had the chance to thoroughly check it out again however I quickly tried the 1xlock then 2xstart and it did not work. I know this sounds stupid however what does seem to work consistently is to 1xlock, 2xunlock, 1xlock and 2xstart. For whatever unknown reason, this works almost everytime I've tried. I understand the logic being explained from the replies and I have no clue why the example I gave works consistently but it does. ???

My guess is it's not seeing the first button press but after that they start registering. Almost like the first press or two wakes it up then it sees the rest. You could probably hit any buttons on the remote a few times then do Lock-start-start.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset everything? That might fix it.

Ok, I admit I'm new to this remote start. I bought my 2012 Sport used and it has IA remote start fobs as well as push button start. The sales guy demonstrated the remote start by first locking the doors by pushing the lock button twice. Then pushing the 2x remote button twice and it worked both when he did it and then myself doing it. Easy, right. However at home this technique would not work. So I realize that it may need reset by putting foot on brake and then starting with the interior push button start and then shutting down to begin again. Still nothing. The service guy at ford called me and ask me to try it by pushing the fob lock button just one time and then 2x the remote start. It worked again.....however it occasionally doesn't and here is what I have experimented with. Not always but sometimes I have to lock once, then unlock and lock again and then it will remote start. There doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason but certainly it does not seem to work one way all of the time and consistently. I have tried numerous times and one of methods above eventually works but I don't know why. Am I still missing something or could there be some oddity causing this? I also realize that the remote start will only work 2 times within an hour without resetting. Any suggestions appreciated.

i have the same problem with my 2011 ford edge sport!!!! It works when i feels like it...

Mine wouldn't work every time either. Always seemed like it wouldn't on the coldest bloody day!!

Hey all,

Have you been to your Ford Dealer for this concern? Let me know and I'll look into available options.

Todd

Hello Todd, actually I just purchased my Edge Sport (used 2012) 12 days ago and it is Motor Trend Certified. The salesman did fine to demonstrate the remote start and it will occasionally work correctly. However, it would not work consistently so I made an appointment with ford service. It seems the tech who specializes in remote start is overwhelmed as I was scheduled as a "waiting customer" only to get a cancellation unless I could leave the car for a day. This was last minute notice and I could not so the tech called me and tried a couple times over the phone. Like I say, it will work correctly but still randomly. The procedure seems so simple and should not be so picky and one would have the expectation that it works every time or not at all. That is the mode I'm in now. I walk out of work and do the simple procedure within 300 feet and nothing. I almost hesitant to attempt another service appointment but I am very frustrated that it doesn't work correctly. I won't name the dealer on here as otherwise I love the car. Thanks for any advice.

I haven't had any issues yet and I have used it every morning since the I bought it in mid January. You should get really close to the car and lock the doors with the fob then hit the start button twice to see how consistent the starting is at close range. There may be something wrong with the key fob. If you hear the door lock you'll know the lock button works. You should have ford get you new keys. that way you can eliminate the key as the problem.

I've had issues with mine as well. There are two things that I've done to make it more reliable.

1. Don't use it in my pocket. Not sure if my body attenuates the signal or if it is becuase I'm not hitting the buttons reliably.
  2. Don't do two fast clicks on the start button. It's not like a double click on the mouse.

Hello Todd, actually I just purchased my Edge Sport (used 2012) 12 days ago and it is Motor Trend Certified. The salesman did fine to demonstrate the remote start and it will occasionally work correctly. However, it would not work consistently so I made an appointment with ford service. It seems the tech who specializes in remote start is overwhelmed as I was scheduled as a "waiting customer" only to get a cancellation unless I could leave the car for a day. This was last minute notice and I could not so the tech called me and tried a couple times over the phone. Like I say, it will work correctly but still randomly. The procedure seems so simple and should not be so picky and one would have the expectation that it works every time or not at all. That is the mode I'm in now. I walk out of work and do the simple procedure within 300 feet and nothing. I almost hesitant to attempt another service appointment but I am very frustrated that it doesn't work correctly. I won't name the dealer on here as otherwise I love the car. Thanks for any advice.

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, 12EdgeSport. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

I've had issues with mine as well. There are two things that I've done to make it more reliable.

1. Don't use it in my pocket. Not sure if my body attenuates the signal or if it is becuase I'm not hitting the buttons reliably.
  2. Don't do two fast clicks on the start button. It's not like a double click on the mouse.

Are you currently experiencing concerns, bce? Let me know and I'll look into available options.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to FordService (Todd) on this forum I was able to get the best resolve for my remote start issue. Being this is my first remote start the inconsistency problem really turns out to be in some areas the range may vary greatly due to signal interference. In my case, my remote start range where I work is about 75 feet at best or about 30 steps away. Anything beyond it doesn't work. The reasoning explained by the Ford Tech is the location of my work is within a mile of Rickenbacher Air Base. I've accepted this explanation because in every other case I've used the remote start it works perfectly every time with a 300+ ft range and sometimes even working from inside of a store. However, I have what I believe is still a legit gripe. A friend where I work has an after market remote start on his pickup and his works from well inside the same building. The tech told me after market remotes have better range primarily because that is what they specialize in! Thus I have to ask the obvious......an Edge Sport maxed out with options has a sticker of 40 grand plus and they're telling me an after market unit for an older pickup is better?? Ok, I'm not dissatisfied because remote start is just a bonus deal for me and low on my priority list but that explanation makes little sense.