Bye Bye, Audi Q5 / Hello Ford Edge

Pcfithian

I recently took over a 2012 Audi Q5 from a work colleague who left our company. After having this for about a month, with three trips to the dealer for warranty repairs, I am terminating its lease early and leasing a new 2013 Ford Edge SEL.

Although I like the way the Audi drives, here are some reasons why I'm switching over to the Edge:

1) The lease on a new Edge is 1/2 the cost, no money down
2) No need for a VCDS to perform routine maintenance. Unless the owner buys one of these for $350, only an Audi dealer can reset the oil service reminder
3) More confidence in vehicle dependability
4) Full warranty. With 6 months left on the Q5 lease and 38,000 miles on the odometer, I fear any repair cost might be enormously expensive. The Audi dealer quoted $830 to replace the front pads and rotors. The rotors were fine, I installed new pads ($40) in less than an hour in my garage.
5) Dealer is in town instead of 35 miles away
6) The Edge has a mechanically actuated emergency brake, an important safety feature. Audi's emergency brake system is electrically actuated, so if there is an electrical & hydraulic failure, you have no braking. See this post: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2852064&highlight=malfunction&page=5

Should take delivery of the new Edge on Monday.

I recently took over a 2012 Audi Q5 from a work colleague who left our company. After having this for about a month, with three trips to the dealer for warranty repairs, I am terminating its lease early and leasing a new 2013 Ford Edge SEL.

Should take delivery of the new Edge on Monday.

Hey usmcebm,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm Todd, your official Ford rep. :) Pics or it didn't happen.

Please let me know if you ever have any questions or concerns.

Start here with a digital copy of your owner's manual, service coupons, driving tips, and more.

All the best,

Todd

Here it is, just picked it up last night. Badges removed from the tailgate for a cleaner look.

After our rain that is expected for the next few days, it will get a fresh coat of Turtle Wax Ice.

2013 SEL, Equipment Group 205A with black leather, Chrome 18" wheels, Navigation, Class II Trailer Tow Package. Minimalist Luxury.

post-30124-0-31505800-1396358189_thumb.jpg

post-30124-0-10349100-1396358192_thumb.jpg

post-30124-0-31502400-1396358194_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pcfithian

Thanks for the offer on the Sync check, here's my VIN: 2FMDK3JC6DBE31674

Also, check the attached. Note that the date code on this shows the day/month/year. So this image shows my build date as 7 November 2013, just before the 2014 production start date of 18 November 2013.

post-30124-0-90033400-1396479908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pcfithian

As a fully loaded 2012 Limited Owner, when my lease is up... I doubt I will stay with the Edge. This is the thrid one we have owned, had a 2007, 2009 and now the 2012. Have been a Ford Family for 30+ years. If I don't go for the new F150 next year when my lease is up, I will be looking to go Q5 TDI.

Odd choice, but I get your reasons. In the long run if you did not end up with significant maitenenace issues with either vehicle, I wonder if you would still think the Edge was the best choice. Of course this would only be fair comparing same year, with same miles. When I bought my 2012 Limited, the Q5 Presitge AWD 4 banger was only about $4K more then the Edge. The Enfotainment in the Edge was a big sway for me. Sadly it has been very buggy and dissapointing how every update fixes one thing and breaks others.

If Ford opts to make the new QNX based OS for MFT backward compatible (ya know for those of us that got screwed, buying a $44K vehicle with crappy MFT), maybe they will recover some credibility.

Rayo

So after ~500 miles I can say I really enjoy the new Edge. It is much quieter than the Audi, more powerful, and smoother overall. No issues at all with connectivity and audio files with my iPhone 4s.

I also like the controls and MFT much better than what was in the Audi. But there is a learning curve on appropriate voice commands.

I haven't had the Edge up to 100 MPH yet, so I can't comment at this point on its high speed stability. I can say the Audi was very stable at that speed.

Next step is to black chrome the grille and Ford ovals with Dupli-Color Shadow. Or I'll leave it as is, might not be worth it to remove the bumper and headlamps to tackle this.

Edited by Pcfithian