Plasti dip or vinyl or inserts

Travis Totten

Looking to change the front chrome grill to black. I have read about plasti dip and vinyl. I saw that ford sells primed inserts, also. I live in Northern CA, so weather is not a real issue. I have read the pros and cons of each, but nothing about the application and long term results. Please share your thoughts on which direction I should go. Thanks!!

well i have not done plastidip on the grill but i plan to. i just purchased a 2012 edge se and this is on my list of to do's. i had a 2007 ford fusion and i plastidipped the wheels and they went for 2 years with no problems so i think the grill is worth a shot. if it doesnt work, peel it off and you're only out $8-15 depending how many cans you used.

i cleaned the wheels with simple green, used an air gun to get them dry and went to town with 2 cans of plastidip. my wife curbed one wheel and it barely peeled the plastidip. i decided to peel and redo the wheel and it was surprisingly difficult to remove the remaining PD. the stuff is amazing to say the least. oh and for the wheels, i coated the tires with the typical tire shine gel prior to spraying and didnt need to mask off the tires. the tire shine prevents the PD from sticking and just washed off.

Edited by bdevillier19

I plasti dipped the chrome front end. Please see the photos. Came out great!! My son and I took about two hours and three cans. I have some pointers: wash the front end (we used purple power) and a soft brush, let dry (we used a leaf blower) and after all tape, paper and plastic where in place, we wiped down the to be painted areas with rubbing alcohol using a lint free cloth, take your time and follow the directions on the can, cover at least half of the vehicle with plastic, before removing the tape, cut along the edges with a razor blade, use painters tape, cover anything you do not want covered. We found that covering the plastic inserts between the grill was a great idea. Good luck!

Ā 

post-30185-0-87539000-1397348627_thumb.jpgpost-30185-0-15316900-1397348629_thumb.jpgpost-30185-0-39682600-1397348630_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...