After lowering...have a quick question

Just got my 07 Edge lowered with H&R springs and I love the look and ride. My question is when I turn I hear a creaking sound. So far it's been only when I'm turning and driving real slow. I heard it during a trip to a fast food joint during my wait in line. I haven't had the car aligned yet(will do so on Tues this week),maybe it needs to "break-in". Any thoughts on those who have already lowered their Edges.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom:

There are front springs and rear springs clearly marked with paint, hard to mess that up. Do you get the noise driving over flat surfaces or over bumps? Front or rear? Maybe your bushings need a little lube? The front springs are designed to seat in the "cup" at the bottom of the strut tower, the end of the spring will seat in a pocket there. The top is the same but more of a "profiled washer". Notice they are tapered and there is only one way they can be installed. Did you also align the car after the springs were installed?

Mine don't creak anymore. I get occasional bushing noise that I resolve with silicone lubricant.

Hope that helps.

The noise comes from turning while going real slow...as if in line at a drive-up window. It doesn't happen when going straight. I had the car aligned 3 days after the drop and the noise appeared immediately. Seems to be coming from the pass side front. Which bushings are you referring to? Thanks for the reply.

Tom:

Here is a compendium of suspension information for the front-end of your Edge. Information on the struts starts at about page 24, but I wanted you to have a complete picture of what is going on. As you can see, there are a few pivot points there that may require periodic lubrication.

If it is more of a groan than a creak and only when you turn the wheel especially when you're not moving, I would check the power steering fluid level in the reservoir.

It's odd that the noise only happens while turning at a low speed on smooth pavement.

Ford Edge Front Suspension.pdf

• 1 month later...

Try this. Buy a can of waterproof silicone lubricant, take off your front wheels and spray the area where the spring meets the top strut hat where the rubber bushing is (no WD-40 or oil based lube!). Also spray at the bottom where the spring meets the lower strut collar and see if the noise goes away. A little trick you can do is to buy some spiral cable loom, jack up the front to uncompressed the spring, and thread the spiral loom onto the bottom where it meets the lower strut collar.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After all summer of hearing the creaking,I finally took the car back to the mechanic who did the installation and he had it for a whole day and determined it's the driver side strut bearing cap. I bought new caps(oem Ford)h new shocks when the springs were installed. I'm hoping this will solve the creaking noise for good. He even took the caps apart and greased them,but to no avail. I'm crossing my fingers this time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the new strut mounts did not solve the creaking issue. I've tried all of your suggestions...I also neglected to say that when I got an alignment after the initial install,I had to get new tie rod ends because of wear(according to the alignment shop). Could these be the culprit? If not,I'm going back to stock and see if the noise goes away.