Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

oskar27

I bought my Edge LTD on February 2013 and since by local laws I needed winter tires I ask the dealer to remove the 18” chrome clad tires and install the 17” winter tires I bought from him. Two months later I removed myself the 17” winter tires and installed the 18” chrome clad and drove all summer with no problem. Last December, I removed again the summer tires and installed the winter ones and all went fine again.

Last Monday, I removed the winter tires and installed the summer ones again. Checked the pressure in all and it was 36psi. Next day was a heavy rain day, start the car and noticed nothing on the dashboard and drove for about 3 miles to a store. When I got back into the car and drove another 10 miles the TPMS message came on. Stopped and checked all tires and nothing was wrong and finally went home.

Car stayed all night in the garage including all day Tuesday and I thought that now she will dry enough to get no messages again. Today I went out but the message now says “Tire Pressure Sensor Fault”. Car has 12000km

Should I go to the dealer or there is something I can do myself?

BTW I forgot to ask; why last year I installed the 18" summer tires and all was ok and this time I have this problem? Perhaps the tires need to be installed in a certain way and last year I was just lucky?

Are you storing the other set of tires in the garage this year or last year?

You may have a point here. Last year when I bought the car in February I drove back home and left the summer tires (18") in the garage since I was going to change them in a couple of months. But last December when I removed the summer tires I store them in my cabana which is about 100 feet away from the garage.

Perhaps keeping the tires far away de activates the sensor on the tires? If that is the case, can I do something myself to avoid going to a garage which will cost me $$$ ?

Here is something good about this subject for all members. I was scheduled to go to the dealer to fix my "tire pressure monitor fault" and the other day when I started the car the warning light / message was NOT there anymore. So to my opinion, as long as you know that your tires are inflated properly, give it some time and the warning message will go off (unless there is a real problem with the sensor

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know if it is possible to completely disable this feature? Those tire pressure sensors are crap... and they die one after another - my dealer keeps replacing them for free (so far), but it is so annoying having this "ding-dong" always when I start my car now (not to mention the orange warrning light on the dash).

I don’t know of any way to disable this feature but to me the tire pressure monitoring system is useless and it just adds cost to the price of the car. I don’t need a complicated system to tell me if my tires are properly inflated or not but others they may need that