Locking Key in car

I have a 2011 Ford Edge SEL Limited- I recently bought. It has the push to start/key fob/buttons on door. I have tried to keep my keys in the car and lock it (since I am able to get in the car via pin pad.

When I do it, the car beeps twice and then the doors unlock.

I had a 2008 Ford Escape that had the same thing- however it let me keep my keys in the vehicle and lock it. It was AWESOME! I always left my keys in the car so I didn't lose them.

Any help would be much appreciated! I am new to this forum thing as well-- any help on this would be wonderful also!

Thank you!

That is smart unlock, a feature to help prevent being locked out of your vehicle.

To bypass it, lock the car using the keypad by pressing the 9/0 & 7/8 buttons simultaneously. You can also use an another FOB to lock it.

Note that there is a security issue by leaving you key inside, I have detailed it more in these posts I made earlier:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14049-spare-key/?do=findComment&comment=108786

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14049-spare-key/?do=findComment&comment=108877

Read the whole thread for more info.

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the attraction of this. First people thought it was too much trouble to have to use a key to unlock the doors so keyless entry came along. Then it was too much trouble to take the remote out of your pocket to unlock the doors and have to use a key to start the car so the push button start came along. Now it's too much trouble to even carry a key in your pocket?

My Mustang has keyless entry but requires a real key in the ignition. The Edge has push button start. After a year with the Edge, I much prefer the Mustang key. I don't even really care about keyless entry except that it does help prevent scratches on the door.

</rant>

This is most useful when you go somewhere and you don't want to keep keys in your pocket or you don't want to risk losing them. Amusement parks, the pool, the beach, hiking, playing sports, etc. etc.

People who don't use it don't miss it, but once you use it you won't want to be without that feature.

I HATE having to take the key out of my pocket and manually start my wife's Edge. Yes, it's lazy. Yes, it's convenient. No, I won't go back to a car without it (unless it's a Porsche).

You can also wrap the IA fob in aluminum foil, and hide it the vehicle.

That works for me.

What does wrapping it in foil do? Don't you have to unwrap it every time you want to start the car? I see where that would perhaps prevent the horn from honking and also allow the doors to lock with the lock button inside the door.

I keep my IA hidden in the car and have for almost the last two years since buying it. I have gotten used to making sure the driver's door is closed last and to lock using the keypad. I sure don't want to wrap or unwrap the IA every time I get in or out of the car.