GPS map not always accurate when first started.

i recently purchased a 2011 edge, sport model with the fancy naviation system and am wondering if need an update or if the system is starting to have issues. on many occasions when leaving home with the navigation screen showing, the shown location may not be exactly acurate and and may take a mile or so to correct the street info and become accurate. it seems to happen more often when leaving my home in an urban area with many small streets everywhere. i'm wondering if it could just be that i am in somewhat of a dead area or if its the start of a GPS problem or just need an update. hopefully someone can give me some help. many thanks.

i recently purchased a 2011 edge, sport model with the fancy naviation system and am wondering if need an update or if the system is starting to have issues. on many occasions when leaving home with the navigation screen showing, the shown location may not be exactly acurate and and may take a mile or so to correct the street info and become accurate. it seems to happen more often when leaving my home in an urban area with many small streets everywhere. i'm wondering if it could just be that i am in somewhat of a dead area or if its the start of a GPS problem or just need an update. hopefully someone can give me some help. many thanks.

Congrats on your new-to-you Edge, venicebeachboy!

Does this happen at any other time, or just when you leave your house? Also, to make sure you have the latest version of software for your MyFord Touch, log in to your SYNC account at www.Support.Ford.com. It'll tell you which version you have in the blue column on the right side of the screen. Let me know what it says.

Rebecca

• 11 months later...

TSB 14-0037

GLOBAL POSITIONING SATELLITE MODULE (GPSM) – NAVIGATION DISPLAY OFFSET OR INCORRECT POSITION BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/6/2014

Publication Date: February 21, 2014

FORD: 2013 Fiesta; 2013-2014 C-MAX, Focus, Fusion, Mustang, Taurus; 2013-2014 E-Series, Edge, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, F-Super Duty, Flex
LINCOLN: 2013-2014 MKS, MKZ; 2013-2014 MKT, MKX, Navigator

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 vehicles equipped with SYNC® and/or MyFord Touch®, MyLincoln Touch® and built on or before 1/6/2014 may exhibit navigation display offset or incorrect position. The last known vehicle location may be displayed instead of current location, or the vehicle location may be displayed as off road from the current vehicle position.

ACTION:

Reprogram the GPSM to the latest calibration using IDS release 89.02 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

140037A Reprogram The GPSM Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
10E893 04