Reputable ignition coils?

Toyz

Hey guys

07 AWD SEL 3.5L, 85k miles

Started to notice a slight misfire. Individual bucking feeling every few seconds. No CEL or flashing CEl. Seems to be random at different speeds but mostly under load with lower rpms in the 1500 range is most noticeable. Ive read the stories of pcm's causing coils to burn up and bad coils burning up pcms... not sure which is true but either way one of them is and from my research it seems to lean more toward a bad coil leading to a bad pcm which in turn can cause other coils to go bad. So, before the misfire gets any worse Id like to replace all of the coil's and plugs and cross my fingers.

Question is, other than OEM motorcraft parts, are there any reputable ignition coil manufacturers to buy coils at a lesser costs for the 3.5L? For instance, being an F150 owner for the last 15 years I know that Visteon used to manufacture ignition parts for FOMO and makes oem quality ignition coils for the modulars and have held a good review for many years. I know to stay away from all the other ebay chinese manufatures, ive had bad experience with global cop's, and accell.

Is there another option or am I heading to the dealer for new parts?

Toyz,

If a cylinder is misfiring, it will likely show up on an OBD code scan. To be sure, move the suspect faulty coil to another cylinder and scan again to see if the PCM clears the fault on the original cylinder and moves it to the later cylinder. If the code stays on that cylinder, then you have a bad PCM. Disconnecting the COP and measuring its resistance is also a good test of its integrity. Compare the resistance of the faulty coil with the others. If all the coil resistance values fall within the same range, I'd take a closer look at the PCM.

Are you still on the original plugs or have they been changed already? Gap distance increases over time and will gradually affect the amount of energy the PCM will need to send to the COP to "cross the gap" with a spark. Too much gap can cause a misfire, it can ruin the PCM too.

And then, it may be a gremlin in your transmission that is causing that bucking sensation you are feeling. Search this forum for issues about the transmission.

Your issue may also be caused by a weak battery. All these electronics require a very stable and reliable stream of electricity, your alternator produces this energy, but the battery acts as a cushion to prevent irregular fluctuations in voltage. Have your battery tested to make sure it can properly hold a charge. Irregular transmission shifts and poor driving economy can be blamed on voltages fluctuations (usually dips) which may occur with a malfunctioning battery.

After all of that, I'm sure that there are OEM makers of COP units for this engine. www.weaponxperformance.com may have a kit for our engines, but it wouldn't be the first place I'd start.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the input bud.

Not sure if the plugs and cop's are original. We bought it with 18k and have not changed them myself so my guess is they are.

No Cel yet. Also checked the kam and nothing stored.

Not sure how the system is on the edge but in my F150 you can experience low grade misfires to a degree that the truck is under powered and bucking and it still will not throw a dtc. I have on numerous occasions had to press it for a few miles to misfire just to get it to kick the cel to give me a cylinder number to work with. If these coils are built anything like the cop's I have in my truck, a resistance check will only show a primary failure in the winding. As far as I know, if it wont provide a dtc, low grade misfires can only be picked up running live data mode 6.

Battery is 1.5 years old. Haven't had it tested but no other sings of it being weak.

I want to change the plugs at the least as standard maintenance. But If I'm going to go tearing the intake manifold off to do that, might as well throw a new set of cop's.

I hope it's no gremlin in the trans. That's always the first thought for most. But in many cases ends up being a misfire (fingers crossed)

It has all the tell tale signs of a low grade misfire from what I can tell. Shows up more under load and right after the shift into OD when the rpms are in the lower 1.5k range. Slight random bucking every few seconds.

I'll poke around for a set of oem quality cop's or may just bite the bullet and pick up motorcrafts.

Hope that fixes it!

Thanks for the info again.

• Like 1

You might have luck finding aftermarket COPs on EBay. I just saw a set for under $160 from a reputable seller. EMail the seller alanisdeals to see if they have any for the Edge. They have many satisfied customers for Ford COPs, at a very reasonable price.

OEMs will run around $92 per COP.

My Edge's spark plugs were gapping at 0.070+ after 80K miles. So yeah, changing them could help. Plus changing the PCV valve at the same time would be a good idea.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Toyz,

I'm having the same issue in my '07 MKX. I had a slight mishap with my oil sender failing and losing 5qts of oil over the past 250 miles. I had that changed this morning and took the mechanic for a ride. thankfully I was able to get it to shake (also low RPMs, usually ~1500, and ~2200. He said it was a slight misfire, but I wasnt showing a CEL as well. He threw his scanner on and also did not find any DTC's. He suggested I buy two COP's and move them around to see which one is missing. That sounds like a waste of time and effort to me. Especially if it's on the back bank.

I think I'm going to just buy new COPs and plugs. I have 132k on the clock, and I bought the car at 21k. So I know it's well past time.

Did this fix your issue? The first mechanic I took it to printed a TSB on the camshaft phasers and quoted me just under $3,000 in repairs. I took it to the stealership and they promised to keep labor under $2,100 for me. Now that the short lived oil leak is resolved, I'm hoping it truly is just a low-grade miss.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

On 2018 Thanksgiving day 2 of my coils on my 2007 AWD SEL went and took the ecm with them.

Replaced all six coils and plugs and ecm. Had to get the dealer to reprogram a new ecm. They would not let my regular repair shop program. This was a warranty recommended tech bulletin for the police interceptor that year.  Same engine. It was a known defect. Needless to say my warranty had expired and it only has 51,000 miles on it. Was not happy with the $2900.00 repair bill but it is the only repair I had to do on the Edge except for tires so far. Car runs great and gets 24 mpg on trips. Love the ride! And the look.

• 1 month later...