fuel economy acting wierd after changing air filter

jester1989

So I just changed my air filter on my 2013 ford edge 3.5l to a nice K n N filter and now my inst fuel economy is acting wierd. When im parked it says my fuel economy is 30l/100km and when I drive it acts relatively normal.

any idea why that is. Any help is appreciated.

thanks.

Factor99 is correct. Using metric fuel economy, it states how many litres used per 100 km driven, so when your not moving, guess how many litres it takes for you to drive 100 km? Infinite. So the gauge just defaults to 30 l/100km.

Also, if you think something became weird after the k&n filter install, how was it beforehand?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Did the k n filter give you a power increase you can actually feel? Most Pele day no. So I wonder if it's not snake oil.

I've been using K&N since we had a 3.0L Vulcan powered Aerostar. We bought it with 85K on the odometer. It had a new paper filter when we bought it, and two weeks later, my wife drove I-44 in Missouri, and reported the the engine was dogging it. A week later, I installed the K&N and we took a trip down to the Lake of the Ozark with a full load of family and gear inside, and two roof carriers on top. The little van didn't miss a beat.

On the Edge, you could feel the improved throttle response, and this is using just the stock air box. I ordered ours through Amazon, got it for roughly $25, shipped, and delivery was super fast.

Another example, V-10 Ford Excursion. It had strong acceleration with the stock filter. First time I accelerated with the K&N, it chirped the tires with a moderate accel, which kind of startled me. That truck really benefitted with the extra air flow. Coupled with a 3" Gibson exhaust, we went from 13 to 18 MPG Highway. Still gave up the truck later, because even with better MPG, it was eating us out of house and home in gas expenses.

• Like 1