PTU - Updated Version???

07 Black MKX

Found a PTU on eBay claiming to be an updated PTU version. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Was thinking it might be for a different/newer Ford vehicle and or a bogus marketing scheme to lure in unsuspecting buyers. I also found another seller on eBay with the -DE etched on the PTU, but no mention of an updated version. I'm in need of a new PTU for my 07 MKx and have been combing the web for best prices.

Here is the product description:

- Sale is for 1 (ONE) Complete Power Take Off Unit - There have been many problems with this part and it has been updated in design 7 times (See Below) by Ford Motor Company - This is the most current version of this part, Service # AT4Z 7251-D, Engineering # AT43 7251-DE, Be cautious when buying from other sellers that they may be selling older, inferior versions of this part that are not the new and improved design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ford-Power-Take-Off-PTO-Differential-Transfer-Case-Unit-AWD-UPDATED-/251405265985?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a88ebec41&vxp=mtr

I contacted the seller to ask what exactly has been updated. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I have a 2007 Edge and was just told that the PTU needed to be replaced due to leakage, cost $1600. My research has shown this is a problem with the Edge. I read somewhere about a class action suit possibility because ford is not responding to complaints. I have heard two different excuses/explanations why this units fails. Does anybody know the truth?

After reading about this problem here on this forum, I decided to have my local dealer change the fluid while I had my 09 in for its 90k. Service tech questioned whether I needed it, had him call out the head mechanic & and he said definitely, wish Lincoln would have added this into the maintenance schedule. They charged $75, said it was because the fluid cost $22 a quart.

• 4 weeks later...

I have personally had this issue with the PTU fluid change and it didn't cost much and I got it done in upstate NY where everything is expensive. I did a huge fluid change in everything in that car before the 1300 mile hike to MN before I went to Korea. That flush and refill stopped all heavy shifting and the sudden thud when accelerating up hill and even if accelerating quickly on flat roads, especially in town. Best choice I made and they showed my the fluid afterwards and it was charred! Absolutely stunk! I say to everyone that owns one of these to have the fluid flushed and filled every 100,000 miles. I did mine at 165K and have 184K on it now. This car never quits and has been back and forth across the country several times. I cannot complain. Now I need to have the timing cover removed and new sealant put in due to its first oil leak. Gonna replace everything in the process, pulleys, guides, tensioners, chains, ect. Might as well if it is all being ripped apart to do the seal. Excellent site, love this thing. Been a minute since I have been on it after being overseas for the last year.