Backup camera

enigma-2

Wife and I were at Sams Club yesterday, I thought I would browse their automotive section. Seen where they are selling a complete wireless backup monitoring system; consists of a wireless camera, mounts to the car with suction cup , and a wireless monitor, again with suction cup. Whole installation should take about ten minutes. Sells for $99.50.

Granted, a suction cup camera will only last for a couple of days before a kid rips it off in a parking lot, but the concept was interesting. I suppose one could mount the camera inside the vehicle, in the rear tailgate window. Would still need to charge the battery occasionally. Be somewhat of a pain.

Not entirely practical, but interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed an aftermarket backup camera system! quite easy i may add!

replaced factory standard auto-dimming rear view mirror with a new Rear view mirror with built in 4.3" lcd screen that you can hardly see when screen is off...(also has another video input if i wanted a, lets say front camera).....

found a flush mount camera and mounted it in the rear between backup sensors. looks pretty good...first camera i had was better, but didnt like the parking lines.

I already had a screen in my car in my aftermarket HU, but just bought a flush mount one off Amazon. Works great. $20

I was looking at one similar, Amazon, $20. One question I haven't resolved yet is, does the camera connection just plug into the OEM head unit? I have navigation and sync (1st gen). Haven't pulled the HU yet to see if there's a "vid in" jack, but was reading that it was an option on the 09 MKX.

This is the camera I was thinking about: http://www.amazon.com/Esky-EC170-06-Waterproof-Backup-0-86X0-65X0-50-inch/dp/B00GSFIJS6/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Edited by enigma-2

found a flush mount camera and mounted it in the rear between backup sensors. looks pretty good...first camera i had was better, but didnt like the parking lines.

My sensors are flush-mounted into the rear bumper. Where exactly did you mount your surface-mount camera, and what vehicle do you have?

I've been thinking about a bracket-mount just above my license plate, (between the license plate lights) simular to the '15 Edge I was looknig at yesterday (only mine would be lower down as the license plate is in the bumper on an 09 MKX. That would put it just above the trailer hitch. I'm concerned that the camera would get covered with dirt and water being so low down). :headspin:

I was getting this from my 2009 Navigation System, Sync Manual, page 24.

------------------------------------------------

REVERSE CAMERA (IF EQUIPPED)

Your vehicle may be equipped with a reverse camera on the tailgate

which provides a video image of the area behind the vehicle. When the

transmission is in Reverse ®, an image will automatically display on the

navigation screen. Once the vehicle is back in Drive (D), the image will

continue to display until you are driving over 5 mph (8 km/h). To remove

this image from the screen, press any hard button on the navigation

system.

------------------------------------------------------------

I assumed from this that it had originally been offered as an option on 2009 models.

I had seen the Lockpick before and wrote to them. Response was, the camera works on a 2009 MKX, but not the Lockpick stuff (watch DVD's while driving, etc.). 2009 was only gen 1, and the head unit's software is incompatible.

I still want to find out if the 2009 HU has a video port.

Anyone with a 09 head unit with hard drive based (has jukebox) Sync Navigation System ever look on the back to see if there's a camera port?

The Navigation manual might be a general manual, not specific to the MKX. Though I could still be wrong about the Camera on the MKX, but only 90% sure it was something new for the 2011+.

Anyway, here is an EBay listing for an 2009-10 Head unit & there does seem to be a line in the back (yellow plug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381041877974

The Navigation manual might be a general manual, not specific to the MKX. Though I could still be wrong about the Camera on the MKX, but only 90% sure it was something new for the 2011+.

Anyway, here is an EBay listing for an 2009-10 Head unit & there does seem to be a line in the back (yellow plug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381041877974

Completely agree, probably a generic manual for all Ford products. But it was for 2009 so they must have offered a camera as an option back then. I looked in the copy of the 2009 MKX literature and there was no mention of a camera option. But the head unit in the Ebay listing is identical to my HU. And I believe your right, the yellow plug is for a camera. My guess is they used the same head unit for a different vehicle which did have a camera option (perhaps the Navigator)?

In any case, I'm now convinced more than ever that the HU will accept a camera input and all we would need to do is plug in a $20-$30 camera to make it work. Price includes the 19 ft video harness & power harness.

Thanks for the Ebay find, exactly the conformation I was looking for. :thumbsup:

Edited by enigma-2

• 3 weeks later...

My god, I was rolling through this thread, and you all have the same avatar, so I kept thinking it was the same guy talking to himself. My flush mount cam on Amazon is silver. I don't remember much about the description, but I'm pretty sure I submitted user pics. So if you stumble across a silver one on there for about $20 with edge photos, it's prolly mine. It came with super long ground and power wires as well as a plenty long-enough vid-in.

My god, I was rolling through this thread, and you all have the same avatar, so I kept thinking it was the same guy talking to himself. My flush mount cam on Amazon is silver. I don't remember much about the description, but I'm pretty sure I submitted user pics. So if you stumble across a silver one on there for about $20 with edge photos, it's prolly mine. It came with super long ground and power wires as well as a plenty long-enough vid-in.

Did you just mount and run the wire to the head unit, and simply plug it in, or did you need to have the dealer program it to turn on? (Also, where did you plug it in at?

I have an aftermarket HU (in my sig), and yeah, I screwed it into the panel with the license plate lights, ran the wires to the HU and simply plugged it in and turned on the backup camera setting on my HU.

The only thing that doesn't work totally is the red, yellow, and green lines that show distance. They still show distance, but they're not like 1 foot, 5 feet, and ten feet. It's more like 7, 4, and my bumper lol, but that's prolly just the angle I prefer the camera at.

Edited by wannabang