Front Plate Holder

pickupf150

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want to abide by the law - the states that require front plates usually want it in middle lower bumber with nothing blocking it (ie not behind a grill).

However, I am in a state with required front plates. I bought my Mazda 3SP in TN and they dont have front plates. To this day, I have not been sited (only warned) about not having a front plate. Of course my state is OH, and there is still litigations to move to rear plate only - I dont know if that helps or not.

Unfortunately, I bought my Edge in OH, so I already had the plate drilled and mounted.

Solas

Well I just got a ticket last week for $109 for not having a front plate mounted on the Edge. What kind of cop pulls someone over at 8:30 on a saturday morning as I pull in to stop for breakfast. He gave me a 15 min chat about how its the dealers fault and I should get them to pay for not selling me a bracket. I work for the dealer and I have a bracket...forgot to tell him that part. I will fight it and see what happens but I still don't have my plate mounted.

Well I just got a ticket last week for $109 for not having a front plate mounted on the Edge. What kind of cop pulls someone over at 8:30 on a saturday morning as I pull in to stop for breakfast. He gave me a 15 min chat about how its the dealers fault and I should get them to pay for not selling me a bracket. I work for the dealer and I have a bracket...forgot to tell him that part. I will fight it and see what happens but I still don't have my plate mounted.

what state? how could you fight it?

I live in Vancouver, BC Canada and I have 30 days to fight the ticket and then I wait for a court date. The nice part is if the cop doesn't show they through out the ticket...works for speeding tickets and everything else.

same deal here.. BUT if he does show... what is going to be your angle/defense is what I am wondering?

I have a similiar story - but mine was on New Years Eve at 10PM and I just got a warning - still dont have a front plate.

Now I am not saying to attempt this but rumor has it states it might work.

If you can get up into the bumper (dont know about edge as this was on a 1991 MR2) where the owner was cited a fix it ticket and required proof of inspection. Well he really didnt want holes drilled in the front bumper so help epoxied one extremely strong magnet (the bumper side covered in felt) to the bracket and put the other magnet on the other side. It passed inspection and 15 minutes later he was without a front plate again. I guess this also depends alot on who inspects it too - and if they really care.

A few notes, most modern cars I think have the foam stuff on the bumper - so this might be difficult but it might work on the edge - have not checked.

Good Luck

Solas

awesome idea! love that trick...

I was thinking, as here in CA you would get a fix-it-ticket. this means you have to go to a cops office, they come out and confirm the 'fix' and you pay a $25 fine and move on. so, you could use simple silicon gasket seal from any auto store and silicon it on. the beauty is, gasket seal or silicon will then peal right off and leave no marks or drill holes.

• 4 weeks later...

the bracket is held on by two thick coarse threaded screws. they are spaced wider than a license plate hole spacing. as far as plugs, i used trunk interior plugs from a 99 corolla. they were a dollar a piece from the toyota dealership. they are the kind that hold the felt trunk liner in place. the finished look is raised about a 16th of an inch and about three eigth's of an inch in diameter. i color matched them with touch up paint from dealership. i figured ill prob need it some day anyway. this look is a hell of a lot better than with the front plate or just holes. it looks finished. then nothing takes away from the carbon body kit or the 3 piece billet insert i have installed!!

• 5 months later...