Day Time Running Lights

Hi

I've just bought at 2008 Ford Edge Limited - in Buffalo. I need to turn on the Day Time Running Lights, which I've been told IS installed in the vehicle, jsut not turned on.

Canadian Dealership wants $100 to "flip the switch".

US Dealership wants $50 to do the same, but called today to say they don't know how.

ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kyle

Hi

I've just bought at 2008 Ford Edge Limited - in Buffalo. I need to turn on the Day Time Running Lights, which I've been told IS installed in the vehicle, jsut not turned on.

Canadian Dealership wants $100 to "flip the switch".

US Dealership wants $50 to do the same, but called today to say they don't know how.

ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kyle

Kyle this is very simple to do :

The Dealer can use the IDS programmer and program the smart junction box .

They need to enable Daytime running lights in the exterior lighting section.

Takes less than 15 minutes to hook up the programmer and change it to enable Daytime running lamps.

If they don't understand how to do this they can call the Ford Tech line.

Richard and Barbie

I had mine activated while I waited, one day after the purchase. Dealer Tech took about 10 min's and this was done at no charge to me.

Gary F

Hi Gary

Can you post the name of the dealer (or PM me)? I would like to call them and ask their Service department for the high level 'how its done'. The dealer I have in Buffalo were quick to say they don't know how to do it so I would like to give them a little push. I pick up the car on Friday so I'm hoping to have them do it tomorrow.

Thanks

Kyle

Capital Ford

4900 Capital blvd

Raleigh, NC

They have a Tech that work next to the Quick lube location. I don't know his name however he works in a building that is located behind the new car dealership.

The main Service Dept is located down the street from the new car dept. I will be at the shop today (job releated) and will find out his name and ask him if its ok for you to call him directly. Will also obtain a contact number .

Can you post the name of the dealer (or PM me)? I would like to call them and ask their Service department for the high level 'how its done'. The dealer I have in Buffalo were quick to say they don't know how to do it so I would like to give them a little push. I pick up the car on Friday so I'm hoping to have them do it tomorrow.

The details are in post #2. That's all they need to know.

The details are in post #2. That's all they need to know.

Sorry... I'm on a business trip right now and trying to read the forum on my Blackberry... its a bit jumbled and I totally missed Post #2

Thanks to all for the posts... spoke to the Service Manager and let him know how to do it (not to mention surprised him that I had all the steps and lingo!)

Kyle

• 2 months later...
Kyle this is very simple to do :

The Dealer can use the IDS programmer and program the smart junction box .

They need to enable Daytime running lights in the exterior lighting section.

Takes less than 15 minutes to hook up the programmer and change it to enable Daytime running lamps.

If they don't understand how to do this they can call the Ford Tech line.

Richard and Barbie

I took my Edge SE in for its 7500 mile service and asked them to turn on the Daytime Running Lights. They told me that it isnt available on the SE and showed me a few pages of what looks like programming codes that said it wasnt on.

Is it true that the SE is unable to be programmed for DRL?

I asked my dealer to turn on the DRL's in our 2008 Limited. They were happy to do so at no charge, but they told me that the DRL's work only with the light switch in the off position, so then the automatic feature on the lights would not operate due to the switch not being in the automatic position. The owner's manual said the same thing. Any of you out there with DRL's enables have it work with your light switch in the automatic position? Just curious. We would like the DRL's but like the automatic lights better.

I asked my dealer to turn on the DRL's in our 2008 Limited. They were happy to do so at no charge, but they told me that the DRL's work only with the light switch in the off position, so then the automatic feature on the lights would not operate due to the switch not being in the automatic position. The owner's manual said the same thing. Any of you out there with DRL's enables have it work with your light switch in the automatic position? Just curious. We would like the DRL's but like the automatic lights better.

Hi hardhawk. :D I copied the following from the Owners Manual:

Daytime running lamps (DRL) (if equipped)

Turns the headlamps on at reduced intensity output. To activate:

• the ignition must be in the ON position and

• the headlamp control must be in the OFF or Parking lamps position.

As you stated, it looks as though having the DRL's operate while the headlight switch is set to "Automatic", is not possible. At least not without doing some re-wiring of the electrical system (which I would not recommend on a new vehicle still under Warranty).

Good luck! :beerchug:

kali4nia58:

I have the 2008 Limited - and I checked before purchasing that it had the DRL capability prior to purchase. Sorry I don't know abut the SE model.

bbf2530 & Hardhawk: My DRL work fine when the headlight switch is at the Automatic position. In fact, I would not have been able to import it into Canada (or more specifically it would have failed the inspection) if at any switch position, the headlights were not on while moving.

Of course, as you've all stated, the DRL are off when the vehilce is in park.

Kyle

kali4nia58:

I have the 2008 Limited - and I checked before purchasing that it had the DRL capability prior to purchase. Sorry I don't know abut the SE model.

bbf2530 & Hardhawk: My DRL work fine when the headlight switch is at the Automatic position. In fact, I would not have been able to import it into Canada (or more specifically it would have failed the inspection) if at any switch position, the headlights were not on while moving.

Of course, as you've all stated, the DRL are off when the vehilce is in park.

Kyle

Hi Kyle. :D Obviously as you know, the law is different in Canada and they are required for all vehicles. All I can do is relay what the Owners Manual of US versions say, and what "Hardhawk" was told.

I don't swear by anything else, other than that.

Perhaps the law in the US does not allow that capability? I can not answer that question. :shrug:

I guess until someone in the US (with a US registered, non-Canadian spec vehicle) can have that "DRL on while set to "Automatic" function" enabled, all we can do is guess.

Good luck Kyle. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Kyle. :D Obviously as you know, the law is different in Canada and they are required for all vehicles. All I can do is relay what the Owners Manual of US versions say, and what "Hardhawk" was told.

Perhaps the law in the US does not allow that capability? I can not answer that question. :shrug:

I guess until someone in the US (with a US registered, non-Canadian spec vehicle) can have that "DRL on while set to "Automatic" function" enabled, all we can do is guess.

sorry - i should have mentioned again that I purchased my edge in buffalo due to strong canadian dollar. i then imported it into canada. it is a us vehicle (down to the miles not kilometeres on the speedometer).

i'm confident that if you too have a 2008 limited model (I can not speak to others as this is the only one i have experience with) and have the dealer turn them on, regardless what the manual says, they will work in automatic mode.

Kyle

Edited by kylet

:happy feet: I have a NEW 2008 Limited AWD. I leave my light switch all the way counter clockwise (auto mode) & the DRL go on when i start my Edge.

Hope this helps!

• 5 months later...

may be this is a silly question, but if it is equiped with DLR why aren't they already pre programmed to the on set up when before leaving the factory. Are their some states that it in not legal to have lights on in the day time? I'm going to have to check my 2 day old EDGE out.

I like to have my lights on

Thanks everyone

Edited by serrington

may be this is a silly question, but if it is equiped with DLR why aren't they already pre programmed to the on set up when before leaving the factory. Are their some states that it in not legal to have lights on in the day time? I'm going to have to check my 2 day old EDGE out.

I like to have my lights on

Thanks everyone

Hi serrington. :D No, it has nothing to do with lights being illegal in certain States during daytime, as that is not the case.

It is because the majority of States in the US do not require DRL's. Therefore, they are not enabled unless the State where the vehicle being sold requires it, the purchaser requests it, or for certain Fleet usage.

For example (and this is just my personal preference), my State does not require DRL's and I would rather not have them enabled.

Just my opinion for my own vehicle, of course.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 9 months later...

Im curious as to the edge utilizes the high or the low beam bulb for the DRL. Most cars iv seen use the high beam bulb when on a dual bulb setup. The reason i ask is that i want to install HID bulbs on the low beam and DRL will not work with HID balasts. Many people on my Taurus forum have to disable the DRL when installing HIDs because Tauri only have a single bulb that works high and low. If the DRL uses the highs im going in to have them turned on.

Im curious as to the edge utilizes the high or the low beam bulb for the DRL. Most cars iv seen use the high beam bulb when on a dual bulb setup. The reason i ask is that i want to install HID bulbs on the low beam and DRL will not work with HID balasts. Many people on my Taurus forum have to disable the DRL when installing HIDs because Tauri only have a single bulb that works high and low. If the DRL uses the highs im going in to have them turned on.

sorry... DRL on my 08 Limited use low beam

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I took my Edge SE in for its 7500 mile service and asked them to turn on the Daytime Running Lights. They told me that it isnt available on the SE and showed me a few pages of what looks like programming codes that said it wasnt on.

Is it true that the SE is unable to be programmed for DRL?

We use Ford Edge SE and SEL for company cars. We just converted to Ford Fleet Vehicles from Dodge. All of our Ford Taurus SE / SEL Limited , EDGE SE, SEL , and FLEX SE /SEL have DRL's I did notice a charge on the window sticker from Ford for about $60 for DRL option on the cars we are receiving. Our corporation mandates all FLeet vehicles with DRL's.

So yes the EDGE SE does have DRL. Low Beam Headlight comes on after one goes from Park (lights off) to Rev or Drive. DRL's active.

I have the SEL AWD for Manager Car, and has automatic headlights. My DRL's work fine in the auto mode. I leave the light switch in Auto mode, and the DRL works the same as my Service

Engineers SE models. They stay off in park and come on in Reverse or Drive.

From what I can tell it is the low beam bulb that comes on at a lower voltage because the lights become brighter when it rains (auto lights come on ) or one turns on the headlight from auto/off to On via its switch

Sorry I can not confirm upgrade to existing EDGE SE /SEL if not already optioned from the factory.

• 10 months later...

I just bought a 2011 SEL. Would I be able to have this done at the dealer? Coming from Chevy's for the past 15 years (which have had DRL's as standard equipment), one of the questions I asked the saleswoman was about DRL and she said "no, Ford doesn't do that".

The dealers used to be able to turn on DRLs with software but not on the 2011s.