Engine Noise

LJEDGE

• 2 weeks later...
In test drives, the whine was quite noticable on the Edge but very subtle on the MKX. It looks like the likely difference is the plastic shroud on top of the MKX engine. Has anyone tried putting the MKX cover on an Edge?

Hi LJEDGE. :D While the shroud may help, it is most likely not the only reason the MKX is quieter.

If the MKX/Edge pair are like the MKZ/Fusion/Milan siblings, there are at least several other differences which would lead to the quieter cabin. The MKX will have thicker door glass (not sure about the windshield), extra weather/sound seals on the door area and also extra sound proofing material in the passenger compartment and firewall area.

I have a 2007 MKZ. I helped my neighbor purchase a loaded 2007 Fusion SEL on the X-Plan. There is the same, quite noticeable NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) difference between the MKZ and the Fusion as you mention with the MKX and Edge.

Just several of the hidden reasons (along with the visible ones) why an MKX costs more.

Let me also add (before anyone feels the need to defend their purchases) that I think the Fusion/Milan and Edge are also great vehicles, and would have no problem owning one myself. Just all a matter of choice. America is a great country, "don'tcha think"!

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530