Gas Mileage

jgeres

We have had our 2007 Edge now for about 1-1/2 months (3800 mi) bought used with 2500 mi on it. We are seeing 14.9 on our avg gas mileage readout. Nearly all in town driving. Anyone else getting these numbers? We were hoping for closer to 16 mpg. :shades:

I think I saw one or two posts about this very same subject...can't remember for sure.

Something about the mileage getting better as the engine gets broken in. In fact, I think a few people are getting upwards of 18 in the city..maybe more.

I know I am averaging 16.5 - I just went over 8K.

We have had our 2007 Edge now for about 1-1/2 months (3800 mi) bought used with 2500 mi on it. We are seeing 14.9 on our avg gas mileage readout. Nearly all in town driving. Anyone else getting these numbers? We were hoping for closer to 16 mpg. :shades:

Hi jgeres. :D In addition to the reasons given by other forum members above (which are all correct), there are several other reasons why you may be experiencing lower fuel mileage than you expected. You will see that many of them are weather related. You must remember that the EPA results cannot take every factor into consideration when they do their testing.

Please read the following list carefully, as there is at least one factor that you can do something about (#5):

Here are just some of the many (simplified) reasons your car will get lower mpg's in very cold weather:

1 - In many regions of the US, the gas formula is switched over by law to an "Oxygenated" mixture in the winter months, to meet EPA Air Pollution standards. This mixture is inherently less fuel efficient. Your car uses more fuel.

2 - An automobile engine has a specific temperature range where it is most fuel and power efficient. Get too far out of that ideal temperature range, either high or low, and fuel efficiency suffers. So essentially, extremely warm or extremely cold temperatures (summer and winter in most regions) adversely effect fuel consumption and engine efficiency. Once you are out of that ideal range, your car use more fuel.

3 - A car will take longer to warm up in cold weather, therefore running richer for longer. Your car uses more fuel.

4 - Cold air is denser than warm air, so an engine needs more fuel to run properly (just to drive normally). Therefore, the Engine Management System must run a richer mixture, to avoid running lean. Your car uses more fuel

5 - If you run your front windshield defroster, or have the Automatic Temperature Control HVAC system set to "Auto", your cars A/C compressor is running to dehumidify the warm air. It is the same as running your A/C in the summer. Your car uses more fuel.

6 - It takes more energy to get a car moving and keep it moving in wet, icy and snowy conditions, than it does in dry conditions. Think of driving in snow as almost the equivalent of driving in sand. Your tires, and therefore your engine, need to overcome more force against them. Your car uses more fuel.

These are just a few quick, simple reasons. I am sure someone else will jump in with more. And not that it makes us feel any better, but our friends and neighbors are not immune. Their cars are getting lower mpg's also. If they say they are not getting lower mpg's, they are either oblivious or telling a little white lie. :hysterical: You can't beat the laws of physics. :banghead:

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 3 months later...

For town driving my wife gets 18.9 mpg, she goes about 15 miles on country roads with stop signs, traffics lights and of course the ever present commuter slow downs as the local traffic makes its way out to 128. Hell I got 17 mpg today hauling a 19 foot power boat 35 miles through the center of 5 MA towns on route 16. On the Hi-way we get about 25 mpg, we just crossed 8000 miles.

post-1110-1206815023_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...