2008 Ford Edge SE, Error Code P0171, P0201, P0301

Michael Walsh

I own a 2008 Ford Edge SE, and my wife was driving the vehicle and the check engine light came on. Upon checking it, the vehicle was running very rough, and I also noticed it was having a tough time starting (I live in Philadelphia where the temperature has been hovering in the low/upper teens) so I'm not sure if this is related to the weather or the engine. I plugged in the diagnostic tester and the following codes appeared P0171, P0201, P0301. From what I reasereched online the codes mean the following:

P0171 - this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 has detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust).

P0201 - means that the PCM detected a fault in the injector or the wiring to the injector. It monitors the injector and when the injector is activated, the PCM expects to see the voltage pulled "low" or close to zero.

P0301 - means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #1.

From what I can gather online the aforementioned codes might represent a plethora of possible problems. From faulty oxygen sensors, spark plugs, fuel injector, fuel filter, mass air flow sensor, etc. I was curious if all three of these codes show up at once would that limit the possibitity for the problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Michael Walsh

^^ Would agree. Far passenger side (next to firewall/strut tower) = cylinder 1.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0201

Cylinder numbering:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/9106-cylinder-numbering/

Firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6.

Stupid question, but have you ever run a bottle of Fuel Injection cleaner like Techron through the gas tank? Would be worth a shot. Also try taking off and reseating the electrical connector before moving forward to the injector itself.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I will give the fuel injection cleaner a shot. I am far from a mechanic, so I'll have to probably take it to the mechanic if that doesn't solve it. I just wanted an idea of what the problem might be, or if it was something simple causing the problem that I could possibly fix. Once I get the vehicle serviced, I'll post the results. Thanks for your help.

Just wanted to post an update. I took the vehicle into the shop and they removed all the injectors and cleaned them and replaced the gaskets. Even though cylinder 1 was knocking the most, the other injectors were acting up they said. He said in the future some of the injectors might need to be replaced. I asked him the probability of me needing to replace the injectors, and he said it depends, he had some people come back in for replacements, and other times when it was never an issue again. He said after 3-4 gas fill ups to run some fuel injection cleaner through the vehicle. So far the vehicle has been running smoothly, but I have only had it back for a day. I want to thank you guys for the help as it was much appreciated.

• Like 1

Good gas is important. I rarely buy mom and pop gas and casey's gas. Most of the time I use Shell or Kwik Star tier one. This decision seems to have served me well over the miles of driving. I do add some injector cleaner on occasions when I feel I have reached a time to do so.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well my luck has run out. The other day the check engine light came on and started to flash and the vehicle became very rough to drive as I could feel the engine misfiring. When I got home I plugged in my scanner and the following codes appeared, PO174, PO204, PO304, PO204 P. I'm assuming another injector is going bad. Is my best bet is to have all the injectors replaced? I see from the feedback above that it would be wise to change the plugs as well. Also is the correct part number for a fuel injector for 2008 Ford Edge SE, CM-5132? I look forward to your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Michael Walsh

Interesting that the fault/lean code/misfire has moved over to cylinder 4 (radiator side bank, leftmost/furthest from battery). How much fuel injection cleaner/hom many tanks has it been since last report? Wat is the odometer reading on the Edge? It is also a possibility that the coils are starting to go, which eventually winds up frying the PCM or vice versa. This is a more frequent occurrence with the Edge than failed injectors (7T4Z-9F593-A / CM-5132) or failed spark plugs.

Fuel Injector related parts:

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2007-ford-edge/fuel-injectors-and-pipes.html

Ignition Coil related parts:

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2007-ford-edge/ignition-coil-and-wires-spark-plugs.html

tsb13-04-17 2007-08 Edge MIL ON WITH DTCS - P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, AND-OR P0356 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3-1-2008.pdf

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

The odometer reading is roughly 59,000 miles. After getting the vehicle back I waited after about 2 fill ups before I added the fuel injector cleaner. Overall I've probably filled the tank up about 4-6 times since I got the vehicle back from service. About 10 days ago I had my scheduled oil change. Currently the check engine light is on, but is not flashing. Is there anyway for a mechanic to diagnosis if this is ignition coil, fuel injector, or spark plug issue?

Edited by Michael Walsh

Should be pretty straightforward for a mechanic to diagnose those 3 elements. Doing a visual inspection for things like carbon tracking, cracked boots, etc. will diagnose the coil. Resistance tests will diagnose fuel injector firing. Checking plug gap will tell you if the gap is too wide for the PCM/ignition system to compensate for. These are just the initial checkpoints.

• Like 1

I also see some other issues that are very possible and contributing to your problems. The mileage or yearly driving is only amounting to just north of 8K miles a year. Do you used Gasohol? Alcohol in fuel is very corrosive and with it sitting more than running this can lead to corrosion not only in your fuel tank but in the other components absorbiing water and causing tons of issues. My opionon, but I am willing to say this vehicle needs to hit the highway for a good run once in a while.

I purchased the Edge in February of 2010 with 10,500 miles on it. Doing some quick math, I've been averaging about 9,500 miles per year with it. I actually don't use Gasohol. I guess my best bet at the moment will be to take it into the shop and have them run a diagnostic test on it and try to pinpoint the issue.

Are you saying you use 100% gasoline, not E-10? That's pretty hard to find nowadays. Maybe you're thinking about E-85?

I'm sorry, I wasn't sure was Gasohol was, I thought it was additive of some sort, as you can tell my knowledge of cars is very limited. When I fill up my Edge I have been using mid-grade gasoline which is 89 I believe, and I usually fill my Edge at up at either BP or Sunuco gas stations. Sorry for the mix-up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm actually taking my Edge to the shop this weekend. It's a weird situation as my check engine light goes on and off but the vehicle doesn't misfire at all lately. I'm going to a new mechanic as the one I had moved away, so I'm hopeful that he'll be able to give me some solid answers. Once I find out anything, I'll relay any information I get to this message board.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give everyone an update. It seems a coil was the issue. I took it into the shop and they replaced the bad coil and that has seem to have done the trick. I've had my Edge back for a about 3 weeks with no check engine light on and she seems to be running backing to normal. Again thanks for the help.

Edited by Michael Walsh
  • Like 2