Aftermarket wheels and TPS system questions

DKS

I have three damaged 20 inch chrome clad wheels. It is much less expensive to buy new aftermarket wheels. I plan to buy wheels/tires this spring and then put winter tires on the original wheels next fall. How have you handled the TPS system if you have aftermarket wheels on your car. I can find TPS monitors everywhere but it is not clear what it takes to fit on aftermarket wheels with the Ford system. I would like to buy the wheels and TPS items and then take them to the tire store. Save much money that way.

What model year edge are you talking about?

If you are putting them onto a 2010 or older Edge, you will need to use the type that have a band holding the sensor to the wheel. 2011 and newer models use the sensors that just attach through the valve stem hole. The two different type sensors use different frequencies to transmitter to a module in the car You would not be able to use the newer type sensors in an older Edge, or older in a newer for those reasons.

Since you want to keep your old wheels for winter and use the sensors on them, you will have to buy some others for the new wheels. I find good deals on eBay, having bought some extra OEM new ones for under $50.00 total for all four of the newer style.

It is a 2008 built early in the year. I understand about the batteries. Are they replaceable, or does it require new units? Would I be correct in the idea that I can buy the units with a band from eBay or ? and then they just fasten onto most aftermarket wheels?

Actually you do not need to use new "banded sensors" even on older vehicles.There are replacement units available which are much cheaper, we sell them at my shop for around $60 each. I would not bring your sensors to the shop because not all shops have the ability to program all brands of sensors.

Never heard of that, but sounds interesting. Are you saying you could use a valve stem mounted sensor on the older type frequency and module by changing the frequency of the sensor?

However, your cost of $60.00 for one is higher than what a set of four can be found for. Here is one example of brand new OEM Ford band sensors with all hardware for $51.00 which would include the shipping charge. They can be used on wheels up to 28" according to the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-09-Ford-Tire-Monitor-Sensor-TPMS-Bands-Straps-and-Cradles-Set-of-4-/3712509

• Like 1

Never heard of that, but sounds interesting. Are you saying you could use a valve stem mounted sensor on the older type frequency and module by changing the frequency of the sensor?

However, your cost of $60.00 for one is higher than what a set of four can be found for. Here is one example of brand new OEM Ford band sensors with all hardware for $51.00 which would include the shipping charge. They can be used on wheels up to 28" according to the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-09-Ford-Tire-Monitor-Sensor-TPMS-Bands-Straps-and-Cradles-Set-of-4-/3712509

what I see here is bands only no sensors... banded sensors are a thing of the past this is what we use now

http://www.ez-sensor.com/

You are correct after I look at that link closer. It does not include the sensors. However, there are sensors and bands for good prices if someone wanted to stay OEM. Without an extensive search, here is one set of used OEM for an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Lincoln-Mercury-OEM-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Sensors-Set-of-4-/201221421767?hash=item2ed9bb3ac7

I do like what you have posted as an alternative. It would just be a matter of how much an owner wanted to spend on replacement sensors, bands or no bands, etc.