Younger owner, 2009 Limited w/ AWD - Impressions

briandye

Was raised by a Ford family, so of course I love Ford. Only had a few non-Ford products, and one was the worst vehicle I'd ever owned. I like modifying my vehicles as well, and sometimes get bored with them, and get something else.

1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer (First car, paid $800 for it)

1997 Ford Taurus SE (Passed down from my grandma, had alot of issues that were out of my price range)

1995 Explorer XLT (Traded the Taurus for this, then found a ton of hidden issues)

2002 Taurus (Traded the 95 X for this, grew tired of having a car vs a 4x4 SUV)

1995 Explorer Sport (Traded the Taurus for this, had low miles, mint condition)

2002 Grand Am GT (Traded the Explorer for this after gas sky rocketted. Had every issue you could imagine)

2000 Explorer V8 Limited AWD (Drove this for awhile, then got my current job which is out of state)

2007 Focus Hatchback (Traded the Explorer for this, to save up some money on gas)

2004 Crown Vic LX Sport (Basically a Marauder Clone without the seats, center console gauges and motor)

2013 Charger R/T

2014 Patriot Latitude

And now my 2009 Edge Limited AWD. Still have the Patriot, that was a lease, and the GF drives it. Traded the Charger in because of the terrible Winter we had that year. Would have never been able to make it to work!

Anyways, the Edge is coming up on being my second longest owned vehicle. I love it, but I hate it. I love the styling, I love the power, the AWD is amazing in the Winter months, but there are so many issues it seems like. I regrettably didn't do any research before I saw it at the Ford dealer and bought it. The PTU issue alone would have turned me away, even though mines been fine (knock on wood.)

Doesn't seem to be a hit with the girlfriend though, she laughs at it and calls it a "Dad car." (Im 22, she's 21), no kids. I guess it was a huge transition going from a "muscle" car to this, but thats the perks of having a far drive, vs her who works a few miles from home.

I love the way it looks, and drives, but hate the brakes. This car has the worst feeling/poorest performing brakes I have ever felt, even compared to my old Explorers with 200k miles, and cheap Duralast pads/rotors. I have new pads on the way, and will be replacing the rotors soon as well. It seems another issue with these is the brake booster failing. Also, not a cheap easy fix. The PTU seems to cost people between $1500-$3500 and NEVER seems to fix the problem with it leaking, or not working. Seems like they are in and out of the dealer getting it replaced or repaired 2-3 times.

If those 2 issues were fixed, I would recommend the Edge to friends in a heartbeat. I don't plan on keeping mine much longer, because I miss the sound of a big V8, and can definitely afford to buy a smaller car just for work now, but I want a larger SUV. Definitely want to get back in the music scene, as I miss having heart stopping bass, but the Edge is so small that I would lose my cargo space with any system I would install.

However, if I do keep it, im planning on lowering it, upgrading from my 20" Forte rims, to 22" wheels (Something like the IROC style, simple and clean) and possibly a deep blue paint job.

• Like 1

Neatly summarized :) Your vehicular history list makes my head spin! I consider the Edge's styling to be "nice" and "friendly", not "bold" or "menacing". So yes, your girlfriend has a point. I think of the Edge as a "constant companion" rather than a thrill-a-minute ride. Though I wouldn't mind being behind the wheel of a fast ride once again, I am content to contemplate the nature of the universe with serenity :)

I do believe the brakes were addressed starting in 2011, but upgrading pads/rotors helps a lot! The AWD, however, remains enshrouded in mystery, I have no evidence to believe anything has changed there with the 2015.

You definitely would have to get creative to install a major league sound system in the Edge, but moving over to components rather than all-in-one speakers will help greatly. And tuning your setup will bring it to life.

So I hope you decide to keep your Edge and look forward to what path you choose to upgrade it :thumbsup:

Haha yeah, when I was younger I loved getting a car and doing stuff to it like aftermarket wheels, stereo, lights, etc then id get bored with it and find a different car. I have a thing for Explorers though, if you couldn't tell!

I was just watching some YouTube videos of the next gen Edge Sport's and like them more and more. Might just have to grab one if I can find it for a good price. I guess ill just make sure I get a worth-while warranty though. I HAVE to have AWD or 4x4 if I have an SUV. The Patriot is only FWD and it kills me when I have to drive it around.

As for the stereo, that 10-speaker Sony system seems like it sounds great, so at the most with that, id add a little single 12" or 15" sub so I could keep some cargo space. Id just have to get creative and make it easily removable for when I have to haul stuff. I always do the whole system though, I couldn't stand when friends would just throw some Wal-Mart subwoofers and amps in the trunk and turn the gain all the way up and think it sounded good. I gotta have the full range of sound, but with ass-kicking bass when I want it :)

• Like 1

Im 25 and agree with you one some points there. I too was raised in a ford family and have only owned 1 non ford product ( 73 International Scout) that was a project/ off road toy. I went from a 2001 F-250 to a 2004 Mustang to a 2006 F-150 and now my Edge. While I agree that the Edge is no sports car and minimal towing capacity compared to my previous vehicles, I consider it a great daily driver. I wanted a ford product that was decent on gas, not a car, had a some style and had options. And thats what the Edge is. A good looking crossover with decent MPG's ( for me at least compared to my truck) and i got the options I wanted. I put alot of miles on my cars and this is by far the smoothest, quietest ride I have had. Of course i got some blowback like you said with people saying " what happened, you knock the girlfriend up already?" But then they take a look inside and realize that it has more options and looks nicer than their " faster, cooler import". Would I love to drive a GT500 every day or a lifted F-250 with the 6.7L powerstroke? sure i would..... but those are not practical for my every day situation. I bought the Edge for a specific purpose, better gas mileage, more options and a great DD all in a good looking package. And thats exactly what I got. So doesnt matter to me if someone doesnt like my choice. They can keep enjoying their honda civics and race them from stoplight to stoplight like when they were in high school. I have other things to do like enjoy my comfortable ride to work.

ANYWAY..... I hope you enjoy your Edge, hope it stays out of the shop, and hope the GF comes around on her opinion. IMO your driving a nicer car than the one you gave her anyway B)

• Like 1