Replacing the factory installed Trailer Hitch

rtn60350

Greeting folks,

I currently don't own an Edge, but will purchase one soon. I hope you guys can help me to make a decision.

I will purchase an Edge with the towing package. The factory installed Trailer Hitch is class II. I don't like it. I'd like to replace it with a class III one, either Curt or Hidden.

I am not sure if I CAN or SHOULD do it. Any helps will be appreciated?

Thanks.

I also did a Hidden Hitch and it is a very good product. There will be no problem physically mounting a replacement hitch because the aftermarket ones use the factory mounting holes. However, the factory hitch is mounted higher requiring a notch cut in the lower rear valance panel. Aftermarket hitches are designed to go below the valance panel so you will end up with a cutout in the panel that is no longer necessary and may look odd.

I got rid of my Edge a couple of months ago and I don't have any photos of the hitch. Besides, mine was installed without being a replacement for a factory hitch so I didn't have the cut area of the lower valence to worry about.

Here's a photo of a Hidden Hitch on a recent Edge:

hiddenhitch.png

The photo is from the eTrailer.com site where I bought my hitch. There are a number of additional photos you can browse there: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Edge/2013/87604.html?vehicleid=2013304548

• Like 1

There's always the counter argument, why do want to change the hitch?

I've got the class II factory hitch as well, and I don't like it either. But, if I just absolutely need a 2" receiver for some reason, I'll just use a 1-1/4" x 2" adapter. Plug it in when you need it and into the lower storage compartment when you don't.

http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Hitch-Extension-Adapter-Anti-Tilt/dp/B00PDENHWQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423900624&sr=1-2&keywords=1-1%2F4+x+2+adapter+hitch

There's always the counter argument, why do want to change the hitch?

I've got the class II factory hitch as well, and I don't like it either. But, if I just absolutely need a 2" receiver for some reason, I'll just use a 1-1/4" x 2" adapter. Plug it in when you need it and into the lower storage compartment when you don't.

http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Hitch-Extension-Adapter-Anti-Tilt/dp/B00PDENHWQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423900624&sr=1-2&keywords=1-1%2F4+x+2+adapter+hitch

Has something changed with the factory installed hitch? My 2013 Edge has the optional factory towing package, and the hitch does have a 2" opening. I just went out to the garage and measured it to make sure. Were earlier year models equipped with a different size opening?

Has something changed with the factory installed hitch? My 2013 Edge has the optional factory towing package, and the hitch does have a 2" opening. I just went out to the garage and measured it to make sure. Were earlier year models equipped with a different size opening?

Yes, 2011+ models got the 2" opening.

Thanks, I didn't realize there was a change. I have never towed anything with any car or truck I've owned. I order the factory tow package or find one on the lot with it for the increased cooling and other additional items which may come with it. It also is a nice feature come trade in time or resale time usually. Especially when it has never been towed with!

Thanks, I didn't realize there was a change. I have never towed anything with any car or truck I've owned. I order the factory tow package or find one on the lot with it for the increased cooling and other additional items which may come with it. It also is a nice feature come trade in time or resale time usually. Especially when it has never been towed with!

Not to mention all of those cute little hitch cover plates you can use to cover the receiver opening .......... :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...