Overheating, no heat from vents.

briandye

No, no I didnt. It completely slipped my mind once I was overwhelmed with joy when I was able to drive it home after that whole incident. Is there any way to test it?

Edit* Screw it, (no pun intended lol) it's only $7 for a new one at AZ. I'll stop on my way home and grab one. Couldn't hurt to replace it either way. I assumed since its not just a standard small metal radiator cap, and a newer car that itd probably be 5x the price. Will post back later.

Edited by briandye

The testers are at least 5x the price of the cap :) Basically a pump with adapters that fit a variety of radiators/degas bottles + an accurate gauge is what you are paying for. Even Harbor Freight's kit is $84! You CAN get a MITYVAC kit for $35. Maybe AZ or AA rent these things out? Maybe they can check the old one at the parts counter? Check for codes while you are there.

For reference, the FSM recommends the UView 550000 (pressure tester) and 560000 (combustion gas tester) units.

I am still concerned that the coolant level does not rise above cold full when engine is hot. Pls doublecheck carefully, it may not be a whole lot, but there SHOULD be some difference, maybe a 1/2 an inch or so.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I just got to work, and am hopefully leaving within the hour, so I'll check that level when I get home when it's warm and when it cools down. (Would stop at Autozone but don't think they'll be open yet) I would like to say there was a very small difference, like you said maybe 1/2-3/4" but I didn't know that was significant enough to mention.

My needle doesn't ever leave the middle of the gauge (once it's warmed up)

Ford (along with most other manufacturers) hasn't made a real gauge in years. Even in their "sport" cars like the Mustang, the gauges are more like glorified idiot lights. They rise to normal levels after starting and then do not deviate unless something goes wrong (normal fluctuation is completely damped out). I understand that this was done in response to dumbass owners who would repeatedly take their cars in for warranty service because their volt or temp gauge was fluctuating.

Yeah I've always heard about that, about the only correct gauges are the gas and some voltage gauges seem to be decent. Obviously not a "readout" showing just "L________H" but it will actually fluctuate with voltage drops/spikes.

I wish the gas gauge was an idiot gauge too :D tell me it's always full until it's time to fill up, lol.

At what point does the Edge temp gauge read it as over heating? (To cause it to move from the normal position, to the hot side)

My 95 Ranger had analog gauges but it also had a red "check gauges" message light. One day my wife was driving it and called.

Her: "The check gauges light came on when I was leaving daycare. It's out now."

Me: "Ok, so what was the problem?"

"The light was on"

"I know but what was the problem?"

"The light was on"

"What did the light say?"

"Check gauges"

"Did you?"

"Did I what?"

"Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!"

Turns out the fuel was low and she parked on a hill so it was the low fuel warning.

• Like 2

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I was alone on this. LOL

My 95 Ranger had analog gauges but it also had a red "check gauges" message light. One day my wife was driving it and called.

Her: "The check gauges light came on when I was leaving daycare. It's out now."

Me: "Ok, so what was the problem?"

"The light was on"

"I know but what was the problem?"

"The light was on"

"What did the light say?"

"Check gauges"

"Did you?"

"Did I what?"

"Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!"

Turns out the fuel was low and she parked on a hill so it was the low fuel warning.

Home Improvment, after the car has seized up and Jill reveals that the oil light had been on for a couple of days:

Tim Taylor: It's a warning light; didn't it occur to you there might be a little problem?
Jill Taylor: I thought if there was a problem with the car that the light would get brighter, or there would be a buzzer.
Tim Taylor: A buzzer? It's a car, not a game show.

• Like 2

Oh. My. God. That's hilarious (and awful at the same time).

I've had 4 different second even Explorers, which all had that same "Check Gage" light. Only saw it on once or twice but never-didn't actually check the gauges when it alerted me to an issue lol.

WWWPerf- my coolant bottle does rise about an inch when the car is warm.

Another funny exchange back in the days of VCR recordings. We used to record Buffy the Vampire Slayer on VHS. One day I found it recording Angel, the show after Buffy which I didn't watch. I wasn't sure if she set it to record on purpose or if it was still recording Buffy by accident.

Me: Did you mean to record Angel?

Her: I like Angel - it's similar to Buffy. It's got good stories and characters.

Me: Did you mean to record Angel?

Her:

Me: . Was the answer to my question yes or no?

Her: . Yes.

Me: Thank you.

Guys rule #12 - the answer to most questions can be yes or no.

I would not worry too much the temp being where it is seems good. I would be more concerned if it were 240 or above then you have problems. 210-220 my trailblazer runs that temp all the time. Then again it is not running right now!!! different issue though.

Me: how long has the check engine light been on?

Wife: I don't know. A while

Me: How long is a while?

Wife: This week some time

Me: Why didn't you tell me?

Wife: I figured you would see it when you drove it.

• Like 1