Losing Memory Seat settings-HELP!

:finger: I have my 2008 Limited for about 4 weeks. I intermitantly lose my seat memory settings, in either 1 or 2. I have tried resetting, with power on power off to try to figure out what could be causing this. :banghead: I keep hitting my head against a wall!

Any suggestions, ideas, or tests before I bring it to the dealer & they say "we cannot duplicate the problem".

:finger: I have my 2008 Limited for about 4 weeks. I intermitantly lose my seat memory settings, in either 1 or 2. I have tried resetting, with power on power off to try to figure out what could be causing this. :banghead: I keep hitting my head against a wall!

Any suggestions, ideas, or tests before I bring it to the dealer & they say "we cannot duplicate the problem".

I have a similar problem. Mine keeps the memory settings but doesn't do the easy exit all the time. I checked the setting and it is set to on but sometimes it works but most it doesn't.

I am sure you already know this so please don't be offended. You must have the Automobile in Park with the power on for the seat memory to function. It won't move, other than manually, when in gear. When exiting the vehicle you must remove the key from the ignition or the seat will stay where it is.

Now I do Have a problem when cleaning mine. I run the seat all the way forward and vacuum under the seats, then all the way to the rear etc.

I get in and put the key in the ignition and hit Memory 1 and that setting is gone. Hit 2 and that one is gone also. That is the only time I have ever had a problem.

I haven't read the owners manual on this, so it may explain why, Other than that I haven't had any issues with my seats.

According to the manual...

Memory seat and mirrors (if equipped)

This system allows automaticpositioning of the driver seat and outside rearview mirrors, to two programmable positions.

The memory seat control is located on the driver door.

• To program position one, move the driver seat and exterior mirrors to the desired positions using the associated controls. Press the SET control. The SET control light will briefly illuminate. While the light is illuminated, press control 1.

• To program position two, repeat the previous procedure using control 2.

A position can only be recalled when the transmission gearshift is in Park (automatic transmission). A memory seat position may be programmed at any time.

The memory seat positions are also recalled when you press your remote entry transmitter UNLOCK control and the transmitter is programmed to a memory seat position or when you enter a valid customer code 1 or 2 on the keypad.

To program the memory seat to remote entry transmitter, refer to Remote entry system in the Locks and Security chapter..

Note: The seat will not travel to its final position if the key is not in the ignition and the easy entry feature is enabled.

Easy-entry/easy-exit feature (if equipped)

This feature automatically moves the driver’s seat rearword 2 inches (5 cm) when:

• the transmission is in N (Neutral) or P (Park)

• the key is removed from the ignition cylinder

The seat will move forward (to the original position) when:

• the transmission is in N (Neutral) or P (Park)

• the key is placed in the ignition cylinder

Just a note from Captain Obvious, if the seat is already all the way back, the easy entry/exit feature can't help. The only issue I've had with the memory settings is sometimes the driver's mirror is not returned to the position when it was set.

Just a note from Captain Obvious, if the seat is already all the way back, the easy entry/exit feature can't help. The only issue I've had with the memory settings is sometimes the driver's mirror is not returned to the position when it was set.

I wish it was that but I have plenty of room before it is all the way back. Like I said sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

2008 Limited - and I was/am having the same problem. We also had a problem with the fuel gauge so it has been in the shop for about a week. Supposedly they have fixed the memory seat issue. The hard part was that it couldn't always be duplicated. Sometimes I would get in and hit my setting and it would go back, but not lower to the pre-set. Some times it would lower and go a little bit back but not all the way. It was messing with me because it would do something, but it wouldn't end seat location wouldn't feel right and the mirrors would be out of sync.

I did find that I could always get it to fail if I used the keypad to unlock and start moving the seat to my location. ie, I enter my 5 digit code to unlock and add the 6th digit to tell the seat to adjust to my setting.

So take it in and tell them it is not working.

• 6 months later...

We purchased our 2007 MKX in March 2007. Within 6 months we began having intermitent memory seat/easy access issues. We have had 3 different dealers attempt to identify the problem; of course, they can't get it to malfunction when they have it. As one other posted, they can't duplicate the problem.

We are aware of SSM-20025 (Owners Manual Incorrect) but that isn't the problem. Ford Customer Care Center is of no help at all, keep telling us to take it back to the dealer. We have had a module replaced, key fabs replaced, re-programmed time and time again and nothing works. I know of another MKX owner in our area having the same problem, also with no resolution.

Love the vehicle but if Ford won't deal with this problem, it will be our last Ford/Lincoln/Mercury product we ever purchase! Where's the customer care????

Has anyone found a resolution to this memory seat and easy entry problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion, but this did not help my situation. I am findng that without being able to "duplicate the issue", Ford will not stand behind this problem. I continue to have sporatic memory seat problems as well as easy entry problems. The easy entry option allows the seat in the back position until you put the key into the ignition. At times, ours will move out of the easy entry position and into the memory seat position when unlocking the car and before the key is ever in the ignition.

And the car has had control arm leaks 3 times (suspension) and been repaired in addition to transmission problems. I feel like I drive loaner vehicles more than my own car!

Any help or solutions to the memory seat/easy access would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks for the suggestion, but this did not help my situation. I am findng that without being able to "duplicate the issue", Ford will not stand behind this problem. I continue to have sporatic memory seat problems as well as easy entry problems. The easy entry option allows the seat in the back position until you put the key into the ignition. At times, ours will move out of the easy entry position and into the memory seat position when unlocking the car and before the key is ever in the ignition.

And the car has had control arm leaks 3 times (suspension) and been repaired in addition to transmission problems. I feel like I drive loaner vehicles more than my own car!

Any help or solutions to the memory seat/easy access would be deeply appreciated!

Its not that ford wont stand behind the product. If they can not reproduce the problem what do you want them to fix. You can not fix something that isn't broken. If you can get it to reproduce then take it there and show them how you got it to do it, otherwise there is nothing that can be done. Also just curious but what is a control arm leak? are you talking about the transfer case leak and having it leak down onto the control arm?

Its not that ford wont stand behind the product. If they can not reproduce the problem what do you want them to fix. You can not fix something that isn't broken. If you can get it to reproduce then take it there and show them how you got it to do it, otherwise there is nothing that can be done. Also just curious but what is a control arm leak? are you talking about the transfer case leak and having it leak down onto the control arm?

Ahhh...if it were only that simple. I have taken the car to my dealership immediately after it happens, but of course, it won't happen for them - it is too sporatic. (Have even attempted 2 other dealerships to take a look at the problem to no resolve.) This problem has surfaced 13 different times within a 2 month period (where I kept track). This isn't in my imagination and I certainly understand the frustration of the dealership when it can't duplicate the problem. But as an owner, I am frustrated also! Obviously, through this forum, I see that others have had the same problem and the dealership can't duplicate their problem either. We know of someone in the area with the same problem and has just given up attempting to have it fixed. I won't give up - this was a feature that we wanted in this vehicle and are stubborn enough not to just deal with it. Obviously, this isn't a national problem so Ford isn't going to spend a lot of time trying to resolve it.

The control arm issue is an issue that Ford is aware of and it took them a year to produce a replacement part. In the meantime, ours failed 3 different times with oil leaks on our driveway and garage floor.

Ahhh...if it were only that simple. I have taken the car to my dealership immediately after it happens, but of course, it won't happen for them - it is too sporatic. (Have even attempted 2 other dealerships to take a look at the problem to no resolve.) This problem has surfaced 13 different times within a 2 month period (where I kept track). This isn't in my imagination and I certainly understand the frustration of the dealership when it can't duplicate the problem. But as an owner, I am frustrated also! Obviously, through this forum, I see that others have had the same problem and the dealership can't duplicate their problem either. We know of someone in the area with the same problem and has just given up attempting to have it fixed. I won't give up - this was a feature that we wanted in this vehicle and are stubborn enough not to just deal with it. Obviously, this isn't a national problem so Ford isn't going to spend a lot of time trying to resolve it.

The control arm issue is an issue that Ford is aware of and it took them a year to produce a replacement part. In the meantime, ours failed 3 different times with oil leaks on our driveway and garage floor.

Hi ILMKXOWNR. :D Sorry to hear about your problems. As druck52 was trying to explain, it is always hard for a Dealership to fix an "intermittent" problem, if it does not occur when they have the car. Just curious, did you purchase new or used? Also, did you program the keyless remotes to recognize two different drivers and their individual seat settings? If you did, this could be part of the problem.

Concerning your "leaking control arm". What druck52 was trying to explain is this: You are mixing up the "control arm" with the name of another leaking/defective part on your Edge. Control Arms can not leak. They essentially are just hunks of metal. They have no fluid in them and are just bolted to other hunks of metal. Whatever is leaking on your Edge is not a control arm. You can have a leaking shock absorber/strut, a leaking transfer case (PTU), an oil leak, etc. etc., but not a leaking "control arm". Also, you could have one of the above leaking onto a control arm. Ask the Dealership what the name of the leaking part actually is.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi ILMKXOWNR. :D Sorry to hear about your problems. As druck52 was trying to explain, it is always hard for a Dealership to fix an "intermittent" problem, if it does not occur when they have the car. Just curious, did you purchase new or used? Also, did you program the keyless remotes to recognize two different drivers and their individual seat settings? If you did, this could be part of the problem.

Concerning your "leaking control arm". What druck52 was trying to explain is this: You are mixing up the "control arm" with the name of another leaking/defective part on your Edge. Control Arms can not leak. They essentially are just hunks of metal. They have no fluid in them and are just bolted to other hunks of metal. Whatever is leaking on your Edge is not a control arm. You can have a leaking shock absorber/strut, a leaking transfer case, an oil leak, etc. etc., but not a leaking "control arm". Also, you could have one of the above leaking onto a control arm. Ask the Dealership what the name of the leaking part actually is.

Thank you bbf, I was trying to be nice and didn't want to just come out and say that he was mistaken with his parts. I know he is fustrated with not being able to get his problem resolved, but I wish people would understand that if you can't duplicate the concern and the technician can not duplicate the concern then there is no way to diag it. I wish i could help with an answer but I don't have an answer.

Thank you bbf, I was trying to be nice and didn't want to just come out and say that he was mistaken with his parts. I know he is fustrated with not being able to get his problem resolved, but I wish people would understand that if you can't duplicate the concern and the technician can not duplicate the concern then there is no way to diag it. I wish i could help with an answer but I don't have an answer.

Hi druck52. :D Like you, I too am just trying to help, and trying to be nice. It is extremely frustrating to have a "can not replicate" type of problem. In no way am I trying to put ILMKXOWNR or anyone else down by giving corrected information (concerning the "control arm" definition). We are all here to learn, and we will all make mistakes at some time or another.

The way I look at it, the only way to learn is by listening to each other. Live and learn, right?

Edited by bbf2530

Here there - appreciate everyone's attempt to help. That is why I joined in - listening and learning! It is frustrating when you can not dupicate the problem, both for the dealership and the owner.

As far as the control arm,I am just going by what I was told by the dealership(s) and is on their repair information. As I understand it, the metal control arms were crimped too tightly in the manufacturing process causing them to leak. I will agree, I am far from technical when it comes to autos so am relying on what I am being told by the 2 dealerships that have worked on this problem. Shortly after this was originally diagnosed, Ford acknowledge the problem with many other vehicles but they didn't have a replacement part for almost a year. Therefore, we went through one additional replacement before the new part was finally available.

And as far as the question if we bought it new or used; it was purchased new. Yes, we programmed our vehicle recognize two different drivers (and have been made aware of the error in the owners manual so have the new instructions). Why could this be part of the problem? That is what this option is for. Worked perfectly in our previous Lincoln. They have replaced the key fabs, a module but thus far, no solutions to the problems. Again, I understand the frustration of the dealership and they recognize our frustration as well. But that pretty much leaves us at an impasse until someone figures this out! I have offered to leave the vehicle for a month as long as I am supplies with a "like vehicle" but this is the problem. They don't have "like vehicles" for loaner cars as Lexus or other higher end dealerships do.

As far as the control arm,I am just going by what I was told by the dealership(s) and is on their repair information. As I understand it, the metal control arms were crimped too tightly in the manufacturing process causing them to leak. I will agree, I am far from technical when it comes to autos so am relying on what I am being told by the 2 dealerships that have worked on this problem. Shortly after this was originally diagnosed, Ford acknowledge the problem with many other vehicles but they didn't have a replacement part for almost a year. Therefore, we went through one additional replacement before the new part was finally available.

Hi ILMKXOWNR. :D Concerning the "Control Arms": To try and explain again, there is nothing in a control arm to leak, even if it is "crimped too tightly". Also, there are no recognized problems with control arms. Simply put, a control arm is just a suspension component made out of a hunk of metal. It contains no oil or fluids. It can not leak anything because it has nothing in it. It is just a piece of metal. So whatever is leaking is not coming from the control arms in your vehicle. The Dealer Tech either described the problem incorrectly, or there was some miscommunication when he/she spoke to you.

That being understood, there is a recognized problem with leaking PTU units (or boxes, cases, however one may describe it). This has to do with a bad seal in the unit. I have feeling that is your leaking part.

As far as the "memory seats", I was only taking a wild stab at the problem and surmising that if you had purchased used the previous owner may have programmed the fobs, so therefore when you and your wife were using them, it was changing the settings without you realizing. But since you purchased new, this will not be the case. We are back to having to replicate the problem for the Dealership.

Hope they find the cause soon.

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

I have had it happen at least three times. The only time it happened is when I opened the door before the seat moved fully back. To remedy it ... I moved the seat forward a slight bit and then hit seat 1 button. It started to go back to the correct settings when the key is put in the ignition and position 1 is selected. I end up doing this once in a few months so it's not really a big issue for me.