Automatic transmission fluid...when do you change it?

Jackman5000

Hello

Looking for opinions/advice

2012 fwd edge limited

63,500 miles

Dealer says ATF should be changed....manual states fluid change should be done at 150,000

Fluid isn't perfect, but not bad....just less pink than new.

Normal driving....no towing and no long stop and go driving.

What do you guys think? They just trying to make a sale or go ahead and get it done? It's $170.00

Maybe worth it for peace of mind?

Thanx!!!!

You have great timing for this question. I just finished changing my fluid out and will be posting the video very soon. My fluid had about 95K on it 97 percent highway miles. This video may help you decide on when to change it. I paid 149.00

Hello
Looking for opinions/advice

2012 fwd edge limited
63,500 miles

Dealer says ATF should be changed....manual states fluid change should be done at 150,000

Fluid isn't perfect, but not bad....just less pink than new.

Normal driving....no towing and no long stop and go driving.

What do you guys think? They just trying to make a sale or go ahead and get it done? It's $170.00

Maybe worth it for peace of mind?

Thanx!!!!

Edited by macbwt

What is your driving style, Jackman? Mostly city, mostly highway, ... You can go longer on a mostly highway style as there is less stress on the trans. The more city/rushhour/stopngo driving you do, the more frequent the fluid changes should be. Look at the SEVERE DUTY schedules in the OM to get an idea. If you have significant city driving and you want to keep it in tiptop shape, perform changes at the SEVERE DUTY intervals. Don't know if a flush is really needed if you do frequent changes, but flush is SAFER when you do frequent changes, oddly enough. A multiple drain/fill process will do a good enough job.

Hello

Apologies for delayed response.

Thanks for input!

I watched the video, and while the process doesn't look too difficult, I simply don't have the time, so I think I will just take the edge to ford house on Wednesday to have the process done.

In regard to driving style; no towing and no hard city driving....but we do have a half mile dirt road driveway (live on a farm). I suppose this may be dumb question, but will that dust find its way into the AT fluid?

As of now, I am leaning towards getting it done just to be safe.

Even the manual says I am not even halfway to it being due, and that color change is normal and doesn't necessarily mean the fluid needs to be changed, but better safe than sorry I supposse.

Hey, I am sure I could search around online, but dies anybody know the exact ATFluid type, and capacity of the 2012 transmission? Curious how much materials would cost me if I did the process myself. IE exactly what kind of margin is the ford house gaining in the deal? Lol.

Sharing what I do. I bought a 2009 Limited AWD (3.5L Engine) in Sept. 2010 with 62,000 miles on it. This year/transmission uses Mercon V and has a drain plug in the transmission. I can do this process without jacking the car up or driving it up on ramps. I simply drain out what I can (~5.5 quarts). I refill through the dipstick. The car now has 160,000 miles on it. The transmission still works great and the fluid looks good each time it is drained. I use Castrol Mercon V and it costs about $34 annually.

• Like 1