MFT/Sync wont save any changes to settings...?

We've had this 2011 Edge Sport since last summer, and man has figuring out MFT/Sync been a challenge. Last fall sometime, I "upgraded" to the "latest" software which seemed to fix some of the issues, but brought up a hand full of new ones. Through my searching/reading, this isn't uncommon, unfortunately.

One big thing that really bugs me though is this: The system doesn't save many of the customizations/changes we make to the settings. It seems to constantly default back to "factory settings" for everything from ambient lighting, to screen brightness, to navigation/map preferences, and so on. For example, no matter how many times I turn ambient lighting ON, and change it to dark blue; it's always back to the "default" greenish-blue the next time we get in it. Another example is the screen brightness. I always put it on "auto", and also change the automatic brightness to OFF because it often goes so dark that I we can't see anything on it in daylight. The next time we come back to the car, these settings are usually back to "default" as well. A third annoying example is that it doesn't even let me change the units of measure in the nav settings to KM. The "button" is there, and I get the audio feedback when I touch it, but it will not change from Miles. There are more, but these are examples off the top of my head.

I will mention that not EVERYTHING completely resets when the car isn't in use. It DOES save radio presets, bluetooth devices/phones, HVAC settings, etc though. There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to what's being saved and what isn't.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behaviour? If so, is there a resolution? What I'd really like to do is re-install this latest software again, just to see if that patches anything up. Problem there is that I can't find the file to download anywhere (the Ford site says I'm already up to date, and thus doesn't allow me to download anything), and I'm not sure there's an option for re-installing software.
Does anyone have any input or suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.

Make sure your on the latest version, should be 3.6.2, then there was a TSB to fix the Ambient light resetting issue. But did not hear of a fix for the others. I also have the screen brightness issue in addition to the call & message ringtones resetting to default every week or so.

Make sure your on the latest version, should be 3.6.2, then there was a TSB to fix the Ambient light resetting issue. But did not hear of a fix for the others. I also have the screen brightness issue in addition to the call & message ringtones resetting to default every week or so.

According to the Ford site, I have the latest software; which is why it wont allow me to download the file again (to attempt re-installation). Interesting to hear about the TSB for the ambient lighting. I'd like to get the details on it and see if there's something I can do myself, since the dealership will likely charge an arm and a leg since it's out of warranty and TSB's aren't like recalls where they cover the cost of fixing.

I haven't noticed ringtone issues, but I never change the settings of this. The screen brightness is a real issue though. Even when cycling through the different brightness settings on the dash buttons (left of the steering wheel), it randomly jumps around from super bright to very dim. There's no "scale" to it.

• Like 1

The MFT has an extended warranty for 5 years unlimited mileage.

Oooh now there's a useful little nugget!!! To the dealership we go. Unfortunately the only one I have around is the same one that I had to argue with that there was an option for them to use their scan tool to change the DRLs from the headlight to the signal markers. I showed them how. lol

It's me again! I just want to clarify a few things:

According to the Ford site, I have the latest software; which is why it wont allow me to download the file again (to attempt re-installation). Interesting to hear about the TSB for the ambient lighting. I'd like to get the details on it and see if there's something I can do myself, since the dealership will likely charge an arm and a leg since it's out of warranty and TSB's aren't like recalls where they cover the cost of fixing.

I haven't noticed ringtone issues, but I never change the settings of this. The screen brightness is a real issue though. Even when cycling through the different brightness settings on the dash buttons (left of the steering wheel), it randomly jumps around from super bright to very dim. There's no "scale" to it.

I don't have all of the details on what the fix entails, but this is something only your dealership can do. Please check with them before you have anything done to see if there will be a charge for this.

Isn't the original downloaded file still on your harddrive?

MyFord Touch will not allow you to re-install software, but a dealership can re-install updates. The system is designed to see that you have the latest software and not go any further with the update.

The MFT has an extended warranty for 5 years unlimited mileage.

The limited extended warranty covers the MyFord Touch module (APIM) and software updates; this issue may not be covered under that and it's always best to check with your dealer before having any work performed.

Rebecca

• 11 months later...

Well, 2 years and a lot of wasted time spent fighting with my local dealership and Ford Customer Service, but these issues have finally been fixed by the latest MFT/Sync update that I found on the myford website the other day. I installed the update without any issues and most, if not all, of the aforementioned issues have been rectified. I'm ecstatic! Now I'm just crossing my fingers that the new update doesn't come with too many of it's own issues.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just bought a used 2011 Edge Limited. I use the owner.ford.com website (or syncmyride.com) to find out what version of software I have. All it says is my software is up to date. On another topic here, someone pointed out that the way to find out what version I have is MAIN SCREEN>SYSTEM>HELP>SYSTEM INFORMATION. When I display that screen, there is no data displayed. So I don't know what version of the software I have.

@wes8398 - where did you find this update? What version was it?

Does anyone know how to get the system information screen populated again? (I just did a health report but that was pretty useless - especially when the email provides a link to see full report - there is nothing there!)

Any help is appreciated

I just bought a used 2011 Edge Limited. I use the owner.ford.com website (or syncmyride.com) to find out what version of software I have. All it says is my software is up to date. On another topic here, someone pointed out that the way to find out what version I have is MAIN SCREEN>SYSTEM>HELP>SYSTEM INFORMATION. When I display that screen, there is no data displayed. So I don't know what version of the software I have.

@wes8398 - where did you find this update? What version was it?

Does anyone know how to get the system information screen populated again? (I just did a health report but that was pretty useless - especially when the email provides a link to see full report - there is nothing there!)

Any help is appreciated

Send me your VIN. I can look up the reported software version as Ford has it. If its not up to date I will send you info on how to get the update.

Hi bb56,

I recommend trying a master reset to fix the missing info: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/settings/how-to-perform-a-master-reset.html

On the SYNC update page, you should be able to view the full history: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html Select FULL SYNC HISTORY under the picture of your vehicle. You can also send a private message with your VIN; I can look into the software.

Shaay

Edited by FordIVTteam