Power Steering Failure (2.0 Ecoboost)

grumzy

I have a 2013 Edge SEL Ecoboost with 43.000 Km and yesterday the power steering just stopped working on my way into work. I took it to the dealer which is luckily next door to my office but they cant fit me in before next week.

They suggested I check the power steering fluid levels and top it up to get me through till Wednesday, but it's an ecoboost so uses electronic power steering, there isn't any fluid. very helpful.

Anyhow, I was checking on the issue online and I can't see any problems on Edges, but it appears there is a recall for other models announced a few days ago and the issue looks similar.

I have no warning message, no check engine light, power steering is just gone. Trust me, the Edge without power steering is a beast to try and turn at low speeds.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue. I've found similar issues reported on Explorers and Fusions, nothing on Edges, but I think 2013 was the first ecoboost year for the Edge and maybe they'll just start showing now.

Up to this point the car has been amazing, best I've ever had, but this is making me a little scared. I'm not using the car again until I can take it to the dealer, it's just not safe as I cant guarantee I can get round a corner without drifting wide.

I think some signals are still getting through, because sometimes halfway through a turn it seems to kick in, which means I'm suddenly way overlocked, it's dangerous.

Make a complaint to NHTSA to document it then ford will be forced to address the defect. On a lighter note install a 1949 IH truck steering wheel it will provide you with plenty of leverage. Might be hard to get into the car though it is a pretty big steering wheel.

Does the recent recall affect you, grumzy? That might just be the ticket to getting the power steering issue fixed. Since you have EPAS, I won't suggest the possibility of a fluid line leak either, as the dealer already warned of that LOL.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-recalls-452k-vehicles-to-fix-power-steering-overheating-88604.html#ixzz3bMTJnCKT

Even if the Edge is not included, worth pointing this issue out to Ford and the dealer to see if it can be included.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W