Potential 2008 Edge Owners

Mike&Sara

We have been browsing this forum and appreciate all of the information. We are looking at getting a 2008 Vapor Silver SEL FWD with BAMR, charcoal fabric, reverse sensing and cargo mgmt. This is apparently an oddball/minimalist set of options (we hate leather and don't want SYNC/NAV, premium wheels, etc...we like aftermarket).

Considering we may have to order to get what we want, what are the approximate real-world wait times you guys have had with the 08's (with BAMR installed)? If it is insanely long, we might try to compromise on a lot vehicle.

-Mike & Sara

We have been browsing this forum and appreciate all of the information. We are looking at getting a 2008 Vapor Silver SEL FWD with BAMR, charcoal fabric, reverse sensing and cargo mgmt. This is apparently an oddball/minimalist set of options (we hate leather and don't want SYNC/NAV, premium wheels, etc...we like aftermarket).

Considering we may have to order to get what we want, what are the approximate real-world wait times you guys have had with the 08's (with BAMR installed)? If it is insanely long, we might try to compromise on a lot vehicle.

-Mike & Sara

Hi Mike&Sara. :D What does your Dealer say in response to that question?

Well, assuming your Dealer is competent, and assuming there are no Holiday or other plant shut downs (as there just was over the Christmas/New Year Holidays), and averaging the variable of where you live (distance the vehicle needs to be shipped), you can figure on a 6-8 week wait.

To help avoid added anxiety, plan on 8 weeks, but hope for 6! :happy feet:

Keep in mind that you may be told other (well intentioned) wait times that will not take into account that they were affected by one or more of these extenuating circumstances.

Have to add that I agree with your choice, as I always Factory Order my cars (will not buy off the lot, even if they have or can trade for exactly what I want). In this way, not only do you get exactly what you want, no compromises, but you don't need to wonder how long the vehicle has been sitting there being handled and test driven by God knows who. :shades:

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I am assuming you can instruct the dealer that you will only accept a factory build but two questions pop to mind.

- If one is sitting on a local lot with exactly what you want and NO test drive miles on it, why not take it?

- How would you know if they pulled it from a area dealers stock other than having it show up in under 3-4 weeks?

If they have what you want or can get it sooner thats all good isn't it?

Discounting variables including where you live relative to the Oakville Ontario plant 6-8 weeks would be realistic for an order built unit. Mine showed up in 4 weeks but that was likely the absolute low end you wil ever see for a order built unit. RED SEL with cloth (black) back up sensor/navi/6 disc CD and standard wheels.

Thank you for all of the input everyone! We went to the dealer today and they found a nearly exact match one state away, so no need to order. Slightly more than we wanted as far as options, but they gave us the same price as the minimally-equipped vehicle we originally wanted to build, so we did a dealer trade and will pick the new vehicle up this week!

They advised possibly longer than 8 weeks to build a vehicle as the plant backlog is approximately 400 vehicles. High demand for the 2008 models, but we were very lucky.

-Mike & Sara

I am assuming you can instruct the dealer that you will only accept a factory build but two questions pop to mind.

- If one is sitting on a local lot with exactly what you want and NO test drive miles on it, why not take it?

- How would you know if they pulled it from a area dealers stock other than having it show up in under 3-4 weeks?

If they have what you want or can get it sooner thats all good isn't it?

Congratulations Mike&Sara! :D Glad you were able to get what you wanted. :yahoo:

Hi CorporateEdge, since I was the one who championed "Factory Ordering" I assume your questions were asked of me.

Let me state up front that I certainly hold nothing against anyone who buys off the lot, if that suits their needs.

In my case, it's just a personal preference. Kind of like "Coke or Pepsi". Some people like one, some the other. Me, I buy the one on sale!

In my case, I purchase my vehicles on the Ford Employee Purchase Plans. When I order a car, it is ordered in my name, and when the vehicle comes in, my name is printed right on the MSRP Window Sticker. :shades: No way for the Dealer to fake it or pull one off another Dealers lot. In addition, even if I did not have the advantage of the Employee Purchase Plan, it is a simple thing to find out the exact build date of a vehicle and extrapolate that out to whether it was already an in-stock vehicle.

I guess that answer sort of also answers your first question. I like knowing that my car came in for me and me alone. The Dealer calls me as it is coming off the truck. When it is driven off the car carrier, it is driven straight into the prep building and cleaned and prepped. It does not sit in the lot. A minimum of Dealer employees touch it, and no other customers touch it. No sticky fingered kids, no chain smokers, no sweaty cab drivers with B.O :hysterical: (no offense to cab drivers etc etc).

Again, just my personal preference. I will let anyone know my preference if they ask, and then I will wish them luck, whatever they decide to do! :grouphug:

America is a great country (and Canada too, for our Canadian cousins), huh! :happy feet:

Good luck! :beerchug:

EDIT - Thanks for reminding me! I also request and have it noted on the Order paperwork: No Dealer stickers, badges, medallions, etc etc, on my car. I don't mind the Dealer license plate frames, since I replace them with nice frames anyway, as soon as I am home with my new car. :redcard:

Edited by bbf2530

That's my preference tooo!!!

My Edge came the same way - and yes, name printed on the window sticker as it was also an Employee Plan Purchase - that car was mine and mine alone.

I grew up in a house that when dad bought a car - one the first thing he checks is odometer - and his usual comment to the salesperson - How many people been in that car and I don't want it played with while its been prepped. So he checks the odometer again on delivery pick up.

The second he commands - no dealer badging on the vehicle.

That reminds me - I need to take the dealer license plate of my Edge.

Enjoy the ride - everyone who gets in my Edge for a "ride" loves it. They are all very impressed.

thanks, didn't know you can get one to the point your name is on the factory paperwork. Everything I have ever bought is off the lot or a company car. As you say, personal preference.

The comment about dealer badging is a hot button with me. Took delivery and had the plate surround off the van 10 minutes after that. One of my coworkers picked his Edge up (small town dealer) and got the worst scenario. Plate surround AND a huge dealer sticker on the rear door. I would have freaked and had them pull that off before I signed one piece of paperwork.

I understand why the do it. Ultra low cost and really effective advertising. All your neighbours see the car and where you got it. My problems are it looks tacky and I am not being paid to advertise their dealership thank you very much. If I wanted to use my car to advertise a business I would let one of those firms who put the huge car sized peel and stick ads on cars and pay their owners 400-500 per month for the priviledge to do it (I would really need the money for this to happen).

My wife is looking at an Edge and we are going X Plan for ours. I am insistent that my car is built so that the only miles put on it are ours. Additionally, I am not allowing the dealer to detail our Edge because I don't want to have to pull a DMX if I see one single swirlmark they put on it.

Additionnally, I won't even allow them to put their protectant on it because I have enough Klasse to polish and glaze a Kenworth W900 with a 53' trailer...seriously.