Lowering springs for the Sport

s4tom3

I have removed my custom air filter because after a very long test day of over 150 miles it failed. The filter became heat soaked as some here have said it would. And performance did suffer, It lost so much power it was not funny . It was so bad that I could tell very easy power was way down. So I stopped at a gas station for a fill up and switched it back to stock. When I got back on the road the power came back to the car instantly. Up until now I had only used this filter on short tryout errands and it did give a small improvement in performance. They were just to short to heat things up completely. I think it would be good for a drag race to cut your time a little as long as things don't get to hot under the hood, but as for using it for everyday driving I now know it will never do.

• Like 1

I have removed my custom air filter because after a very long test day of over 150 miles it failed. The filter became heat soaked as some here have said it would. And performance did suffer, It lost so much power it was not funny . It was so bad that I could tell very easy power was way down. So I stopped at a gas station for a fill up and switched it back to stock. When I got back on the road the power came back to the car instantly. Up until now I had only used this filter on short tryout errands and it did give a small improvement in performance. They were just to short to heat things up completely. I think it would be good for a drag race to cut your time a little as long as things don't get to hot under the hood, but as for using it for everyday driving I now know it will never do.

did you do any datalogging? or just seat of the pants. I monitored my temps on my weekend drives for Lyft (5-9 hours of straight driving) running an open setup with stock air filter ziptied to the top of stock airbox and rest removed to allow more air to flow into the area. (snorkel and bottom of intake removed) and my idle temps were higher, but my driving temps weren't exactly alarming over stock setup after driving for hours upon hours. granted I'm also tuned.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So whats the verdict on the 21inch wheels/tires and the H and R springs? Does it ride like crap? I just ordered the springs and have the factory 21 inch wheels.

I have the factory 21 wheels with 265/40 tires and H&R springs installed . The ride is good the handling is vastly improved. The travel is less so over speed bumps it is not as good as stock also sharp dips in the road are more pronounced. The ride on average streets is fine just a we bit softer than stock. I love mine, if you live on dirt roads or need snow chains I not sure if I would do it.

Any one else want to chime in.

Edited by Xtra

Thanks for the feedback. We have shitty roads here in PA, but I am very good at dodging the bumps/cracks. No dirt roads, no chains. If anything, I was thinking of smaller wheels / fatter tires for a winter set. Don't care about an occasional speed bump, etc. I was worried mostly about the look, spirited driving performance, and initial takeup on normal streets. Hope I don't make a mistake in installing these. I don't want a harsh ride.

I have the factory 21 wheels with 265/40 tires and H&R springs installed . The ride is good the handling is vastly improved. The travel is less so over speed bumps it is not as good as stock also sharp dips in the road are more pronounced. The ride on average streets is fine just a we bit softer than stock. I love mine, if you live on dirt roads or need snow chains I not sure if I would do it.

Any one else want to chime in.

I disagree with most of the guys here about the H&R ride. I didn't think it was any softer on normal roads. It is definitely firmer all the way around. When my brother came to town (never riding in it before) the first thing he said was, "kind of a harsh ride isn't it?". He didn't know I lowered it, so that tells you something.

For handling it is great. for looks, I was initially unimpressed, but once they settled in I definitely love them. Also there have been instances of rear strut failure, and seems to be directly related to the springs being installed. Though if you are mechanically inclined, they are about $60 to replace them in your driveway in less than an hour.

• Like 2