What is leaking in these pictures?

This article shows you how to approximate remaining usable tread.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=51

Tire mfrs typically build in wear "bars" also, not sure what your particular tire is set up for.

Tires CAN last that long, but are they safe ... Whole 'nother story. A typical life span is 5-7 years from manufacture to discard. If you do a lot of highway driving, you can rack up a good many miles in a short time, but wear out the tread quickly, for example. When tires start to crack or dryrot, best to start looking for replacements.

An alignment will be necessary to maximize the new tires' life. Also have the TPMS checked to make sure the sensors have good battery remaining.

The truth on your tires. When you get to the point you show in your photograph your tire have a higher potential for failure due to punctures. You will also have a higher potential for hydroplaning. If those were my tires I would be replacing them. Alignments are always separate from tire purchases. Do the struts first then buy tires and have the alignment done at the same time. Then you will be good to go. Never put new tires on with old worn struts or other worn suspension components.

Shuddering could be many things, but the PTU jumps out at me first. WWW?

Thanks again you two.

Does the steering fluid ever need to be flushed/changed on the Edge or does it last the life of the vehicle?

When I buy new tires I plan to keep 1 of the old tires and mount it a steelie to use as a full size spare. Is there a good place to buy a steelie? It always looked like the first generation Limited Edge came with a steelie with a chrome wheel cover glued to it.

Finally, when the tires are off, is it a good time to change the tire pressure monitor sensor batteries or replace all the sensors?

Yes, steering fluid should be changed/flushed periodically. Any hydraulic system will get clogged with debris from weasr and tear over time. There is no set interval for power steering fluid, butdoing it at the same time as a trans fluid change would be a good idea. And I don't mean 150,000 miles either. 60,000 is the latest I'd wait.

Good time to check the tpms sensors is when new tires asre being installed. Your installer should be able to advise you on keeping or replacing them.

In other words do not wait until 260K miles to change the power steering fluid out like some people on this forum. LOL

Yes, steering fluid should be changed/flushed periodically. Any hydraulic system will get clogged with debris from weasr and tear over time. There is no set interval for power steering fluid, butdoing it at the same time as a trans fluid change would be a good idea. And I don't mean 150,000 miles either. 60,000 is the latest I'd wait.

Good time to check the tpms sensors is when new tires asre being installed. Your installer should be able to advise you on keeping or replacing them.

You have a long list of items to address, starting with the struts. The power steering fluid can wait and it will be fine until you take care of the other items. Just put it on your todo list. The color is a clearish amber I believe. Also note if you turn out to have a power steering leak then when that is repaired the fluid change will happen.

Back story on power steering. It had 260K miles on it and the hose broke or leaked so bad I was adding a bottle everyother day. When the tech replaced the hose he asked me if I wanted the power steering fluid flushed and changed out. Told him I already did it after six bottles of fluid had leaked out.

I won't wait until 260K to do it, haha. Is there a particular color the steering fluid becomes that lets you know it's time to change it?

The trans and power steering fluids are one and the same for your Edge, Dune. Both use Mercon V spec fluid. So should be pink-red when "healthy". If you take a sample of the PS fluid shortly after you are done driving it and feel it with your fingers/put it through a coffee filter and it is dirty/gritty, it is a good time for a change/flush.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

That's good to know, the teams fluid is nice and red and the power steering fluid is brown. I'll pull some out and see what it feels like.

I have many parts on order, in the mean time I attempted to get an alignment but the passenger wheel rocked so much they said there was no point to an getting an alignment. Now I've ordered new tie-mood ends.

Could the wetness in the pictures in the first post be power steering fluid or does the consistency look more like oil? I bumped a curb at 5mph a few months ago and maybe that caused damage/misalignment.

• Like 1

Tie rods are easy and can be done in the driveway. Just remember to have the alignment done right after you finish. Again do the work with all the suspension stuff first then get the tires mounted and alignment done. Then you should be good to go.

I am hoping about late August to install new rear shocks and front struts and will of course make the video on this topic.

There is no real "good" way to do this and the connections have sensitivities to the seals and cross threading that make it difficult to actually do. If you drain it using a baster then refill it will be like taking and draining your transmission then refilling. Won't get it all but will refresh. Let it cycle for a few hundred miles then do it again.

New outer tie-rods are on and the car is aligned! I needed a MAP torch for the driver side. The front end feels much better although not perfect.

In your spark plug video macbwt you're cleaning the engine before doing the spark plugs. This seems like a good idea to avoid debris falling into the engine. For those without access to compressed air, is there a liquid cleaner for safe use in the engine bay than can be sprayed to the engine bay and then wiped?

Not really. I took a can of compressed air (like they use for computers) and cleaned the vicinity of the coils. You really don't have to worry about much after that, as the boots on the coils are bolted down and are designed to keep the spark plug wells clean. If you doing this work in a garage or covered area, you should be fine.

Good to know that cleaning isn't essential. Acorns are how you roll- haha!

Just to confirm, use throttle body cleaner when cleaning the throttle body and use carb cleaner to clean gunk out of the intake ports once they are exposed? Or can throttle body cleaner be used for both? Does it matter which is used to clean out the existing PCV if the original still looks useable?

• Like 1

Throttle body cleaner will work for all applications you mentioned. No point using carb cleaner at all really.

Just remember not to let any liquid pool when you address the intake manifold or the intake valves. Don't want the engine getting hydrolocked. Drain everything with a pipette or a turkey baster. If in doubt, leave the intake manifold/ports alone.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Throttle body cleaner will work for all applications you mentioned. No point using carb cleaner at all really.

Just remember not to let any liquid pool when you address the intake manifold or the intake valves. Don't want the engine getting hydrolocked. Drain everything with a pipette or a turkey baster. If in doubt, leave the intake manifold/ports alone.

Just make them snug. Do not over tighten since you are working with aluminum that would make for a bad day. I worked slowly with my change out because the engine was HOT. Cooler engine is a better choice. I have not had one issue and did not used a torque wrench on the plugs. I did use a torque wrench on the intake and followed the pattern and torque specs. Not to mention the 45 degree turn after you hit the torque point on the intake. OH make sure you regrease the boots on the coils with dielectric grease. Unless you plan on selling it then the next guy that buys it can call you names.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1