How does the Moon Roof work on my 2015?

Hi. I just bought a 2015 Edge Platinum and have figured out almost all of it except for the moon roof. I want to open the sunshade and stop it where I want to and then open the moon roof to the spot that the sunshade is opened but it does not work that way. Do you really have to open the sunshade all the way to the back seats before the moon roof will open at all? Even the Dealership does not know? That is what keeps happening. Thanks.

The problem is the sunshade isn't strong enough to withstand the airflow from the moonroof. If it was allowed to open only halfway, the air from the opening would get caught between the glass and the shade and it would inflate like a big balloon until it "pops" or comes out of the track. That's why Ford forces you to open the shade all the way before opening the glass.

• Like 1

For information, the Explorer's Panoramic Sunroof allows for the sunroof to open with the shade only partially open (rear seats remain under the shade). Granted, the Explorer's portion of the roof that opens is sized similar to normal sunroof & it open between the rear glass panel & headliner. The Edge on the other hand has the larger portion that opens & it opens to above the roof.

I wondered this also, kind of defeats the reason I wanted the sun roof for. I have a small dog and would like to open the sunroof for air flow in the spring and fall. the way it is it just make the car a bake oven. I guess just another of fords better ideas. you would think they could let the back edge of the roof tip up you would get air flow coming int the car that way or are fords engineers smart enough figure that out.

I wondered this also, kind of defeats the reason I wanted the sun roof for. I have a small dog and would like to open the sunroof for air flow in the spring and fall. the way it is it just make the car a bake oven. I guess just another of fords better ideas. you would think they could let the back edge of the roof tip up you would get air flow coming int the car that way or are fords engineers smart enough figure that out.

The way it is there is really no reason to have the sun roof, it is just a liability (danger of breakage from rocks or stress.)

If you can figure out a way to make a sunshade soft enough that it will roll up while being strong enough to withstand the wind at highway speeds, then yes, you would be smarter than Ford engineers.

Sure you could program it to keep the shade closed and the glass vented when the car's not moving, but then what do you do when you start to move? Do you automatically open the shade or close the roof? That just gets even more complaints.