Edge Limited vs SEL

droth33

I just used Edmunds.com to price out a loaded Edge Limited as well as an SEL with very similar equipment. The main reason for this is to get an SEL with the Premium Painted Alum wheels rather than the fake "Chrome Clad" wheels on the Limited.

The SEL comes in about $500 less than the Limited.

If I'm happy with the configuration of the SEL am I forgetting something else that I might regret once I get the SEL?

You did remember to add SYNC, right? As this comes standard on the Limited. Also, you may want to ask your dealer to special order your Edge with the Painted Aluminum wheels. Someone else on this forum did that and saved the $750 that the Chrome Clad wheels usually run off the base price of the Limited (since they are standard). I do think however you are missing some items or else it would be quite a bit more of a difference when comparing exact builds of SEL's to the Limited. Show us what you've got and we can do some research for you.

I just used Edmunds.com to price out a loaded Edge Limited as well as an SEL with very similar equipment. The main reason for this is to get an SEL with the Premium Painted Alum wheels rather than the fake "Chrome Clad" wheels on the Limited.

If I'm happy with the configuration of the SEL am I forgetting something else that I might regret once I get the SEL?

Hi droth33. :D Your best bet might be to go to the link for the Edge website I included below, and compare the features included in each model.

LINK - Ford Edge

Be sure and click on all the tabs (Interior Features, Exterior Features, Power and Handling, etc etc), to see all of the differences in features.

In this way, you can see exactly what each model has, and whether you feel the need to move up to the Limited.

Also, referring to "jmitchell's" above reply: You cannot "Special Order" the Edge Limited, from the Factory, with the "Premium Painted Alum wheels". It comes with the Chrome Clad, no choice.

As "Lex Talionis" (the forum member I believe "jmitchell" is referring to) discovered, all you can do is ask the Dealer if they would be willing to swap them out for the SEL wheels when your vehicle arrives, and give you a credit for the difference.

Many Dealers will perform this service for a customer. If yours will not let them know nicely that you will take your business to a Dealer who will (if you decide to order a Limited and really want the other wheels). That will probably change their minds.

Or of course, you can also purchase them separately from the Dealer, EBay, etc etc, but then you will have an extra set of wheels you do not want, and are either stuck with them, or need to sell them. Always a pain.

But again, at this time, you cannot Factory Order the Premium Painted Wheels on the Limited.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

hey.. I am the dude that had the limited built BUT with the agreement to get the Premium Painted Wheels (64P) and get a $489 credit (invoice price diff). I feel the same way about those clad wheels.. icky - so, yeah, just ask and see what comes of it...

Also, I tried to build a loaded SEL but one of the set of features I wanted CANNOT be done on the SEL, and I wanted it, so I ended up having to do the Limited to get just what I want. That is, you cannot get the Premium Package and the Seating Flexibility Package in the SEL - to have both... need the Limited.

hey.. I am the dude that had the limited built BUT with the agreement to get the Premium Painted Wheels (64P) and get a $489 credit (invoice price diff). I feel the same way about those clad wheels.. icky - so, yeah, just ask and see what comes of it...

Also, I tried to build a loaded SEL but one of the set of features I wanted CANNOT be done on the SEL, and I wanted it, so I ended up having to do the Limited to get just what I want. That is, you cannot get the Premium Package and the Seating Flexibility Package in the SEL - to have both... need the Limited.

:D Lex, old buddy old pal, your answer could be confusing to the original poster ("droth"). Would you please point out to "droth" that your "agreement" was with the Dealer to switch the wheels after it came from the factory. Not an agreement to have it ordered from the Factory with the SEL wheels.

Someone unfamiliar with your situation, could confuse what you said to mean you were able to "Factory Order" the SEL wheels on the Limited.

That is the point I was trying to get across to "droth", that he cannot "Factory Order" them.

Thanks. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the thoughts so far, everyone.

Here are the lists of optional equipment I used for the Limited vs SEL:

Limited: 58Q: Navigation, 60E: Interior Appearance 85B Sirius 16W All Weather Mats

Edmunds says my buying price would be $31,302

SEL: 58Q Navigation 65L Premium Interior 64P Premium Painted Wheels 66B Sync 916 Audiophile System

85B Sirius 16W All Weather Mats

Edmunds says my buying price would be $30,804

Question: Will I be happy with the SEL?

Edited by droth33

I would have been just fine with the SEL if I could have gotten those 2 packages I wanted - they are valuable to me. Not being able get them both was the only reason I had to go to a Limited.

From my research, there are 4 things you get in the Limited that do not come on SEL - and none mattered to me but #4..

1 - you get the Limited badge on the rear

2 - you get the 'nicer' chrome clad wheels

3 - the 'beltline molding' (the trim piece under the length of the side windows) is chrome on the Limited and black on SEL

4 - you can do both Premium Package and the Seating Flexibility Package

So, if you can get the key pieces/options you want in the SEL - which is seems you can - I see no reason to not go for it and save a little coin - same car minus these things

Now that I look at the Seating Flexibility Package, I may want that, so that would push me to the Limited and accepting the Chrome Clad wheels I'm trying to avaoid......

I guess I'm in the same boat you were, Lex..............

Thanks again.....

Dave

same boat exactly.

for me, I needed those 2 options. Bummer that sent me into the Limited.. but it was the only way.

Then, you will have to try to get the dealer to change out the wheels and credit you the coin back. which is funny in a way as it is a downgrade in wheels to them and an upgrade to me :)

good luck... report back what you do and how the dealer handles it..

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't care for any of the OEM wheels that come on the Edge, but I looked around eBay and found that the 20's are selling for quite a bit more than the other OEM Edge wheels, so I figured that it will be a wash once we replace them and sell the stock wheels. Plus we get the "sport tuned" suspension. (I have no idea what that entails.) Maybe the Flex wheels will be a direct replacement for the Edge wheels when the Flex comes out in several months.