Oil Changer Reminder??

vsutton

Does anyone know if the 2007 Edge SEL + comes with an oil changer reminder? I know on my 1999 Windstar it was a feature. Just assumed that Ford implemented that feature on all of their vehicles.

Hi vsutton. :D Have you checked your Owners Manual? The answer is there.

Good luck with your Edge! :beerchug:

Could you just give us the answer or do we have to dig out the manual :wacko:

Why shouldn't you dig out the manual? Why would someone post something to a website and wait hours for a reply when the answer can be found in 5 minutes just by opening a book that they should have already read?

And in case you're away from the vehicle, the OMs are available online somewhere on this website and for all Ford products here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/default.asp

I'm sorry but it's irritating when some people ask to be spoonfed.

what is the harm on just giving the dude the answer? :unsure: you take the time to type a response and yet didn't just give the answer... that is irritating if anything is. people come here for all kinds of info that is available elsewhere - other websites, manuals, dealer... so what.

did it ever dawn on you that vsutton does not have the car or the manual and is just asking or that others just browsing the site might find this bit of info good to know?

Why shouldn't you dig out the manual? Why would someone post something to a website and wait hours for a reply when the answer can be found in 5 minutes just by opening a book that they should have already read?

And in case you're away from the vehicle, the OMs are available online somewhere on this website and for all Ford products here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/default.asp

I'm sorry but it's irritating when some people ask to be spoonfed.

you can tell someone their shoe is untied but WHY?? they will eventually trip over it and find out for themselves. I guess it comes down to courtesy

what is the harm on just giving the dude the answer? :unsure: you take the time to type a response and yet didn't just give the answer... that is irritating if anything is. people come here for all kinds of info that is available elsewhere - other websites, manuals, dealer... so what.

did it ever dawn on you that vsutton does not have the car or the manual and is just asking or that others just browsing the site might find this bit of info good to know?

Neither bbf2530 or I own an Edge (yet) so we don't know the answer. We would have to go look in the owner's manual. Nobody else has volunteered the answer so apparently they don't know either.

The manuals are available here on this website and online (I provided the link) therefore if you have the ability to log in here and ask a question then you have the ability to look up the answer.

I'm sorry if anyone is offended, but I consider it rude to ask someone to do something for me that I can just as easily do myself (in less time). Besides, there is a plethora of information in the owner's manual that an owner needs to know.

I guess it comes down to courtesy

I thought it was very courteous of bbf2530 to kindly suggest reading the OM since he did not know the answer and was simply trying to help the original poster get a quick answer. Just saying RTFM would have been the discourteous answer.

To me it's like someone sitting at their desk with a dictionary and asking someone else how to spell something.

Hello to both "tpm" and "Lex". :D I am going to be very polite about this, as I hope you will. As akirby stated, we do not own Edge's. We come here to help with what questions we can (as you well know Lex), and assist in looking up information when possible.

"Tpm", with all due respect, your shoe tying analogy is faulty. You say, "You can tell someone their shoe is untied but WHY?? they will eventually trip over it and find out for themselves." In this case the correct analogy would be that you already know your shoe is untied and you asked us how to tie it. When we told you where you could learn how to tie it, you asked us to tie it for you! Then, you got mad because we wouldn't tie it for you!

Or as "akirby" also correctly stated, "it's like someone sitting at their desk with a dictionary and asking someone else how to spell something." Except in this case, they are even going online to ask someone else to spell it. Now doesn't that seem silly?

"Vsutton" first posted this question in another Edge Forum on the 28th, and has received no reply. He then posted it again this morning, in this Forum and another one. This means he has been waiting almost three days now for an answer with no luck. To be honest, it is most likely because others do not feel like answering a question that can easily be answered by the person asking it, if they would just open their Owners Manual.

Instead of not replying at all, I politely replied today, asking if he had checked his Owners Manual, because the answer is in there. What exactly is wrong with that reply? I do not have an Edge Owners Manual. I can look it up online, but doesn't it make more sense for the person needing the answer to do that? Especially when all they have to do is open the Owners Manual, which they already own?

In addition, as "akirby" stated, I did not just say "RTFM" (Read the F*****g Manual), as many others normally would, and I did not bring up the fact that there are Forum rules against posting the same question in multiple forums (in this case three different forums).

We are just regular Joe's like you guys. We have no special library of answers. If we do not happen to know an answer off the top of our heads, we have to look it up. So, if we have to look it up, why can't others help answer their own questions once in a while by looking it up themselves? Seems reasonable, right?

In addition, did it occur to either of you that you could have looked the answer up, just as easily as us? Why haven't you looked up the answer and given it to "vsutton"? Probably because it's not as easy to answer the questions as it is to ask them.

Sometimes, the answer is going to be that you should look it up in the Owners Manual, or else you will have to wait for someone else to maybe answer, or possibly not get an answer, as "vsutton" has not for three days since his first post. He sure would have had his question answered if he had looked it up himself, right?.

In addition, we are not asking anything more of others than what we do ourselves. I will always try to find the answer on my own first, before I post in a forum to be given the answer. Let's face it , it makes sense. "Vsutton" could have had the answer three day ago, if he just looked it up the first time.

All I ask is that people treat me/us as politely as I/we treat them, and at least put in a minimum of effort to help themselves. If you feel the need to drag this on further, at least keep it polite.

And to Allen ("akirby"), thank you for the kind words.

Again, as we have been doing for sometime now, we will continue to try and help others with information. Just keep in mind we are not paid to do this, and sometimes the correct answer will be to let you know where you can find the information.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

boy... that is a heck of a diatribe.... :reading: I can only say, as a simple answer as I simply cannot respond to every point, just do not even post up if you are not going to help. that is the crux of this issue. why waste your time and others time and taunt a guy by posting up about "looking for the answer yourself"??? it implies to others that you think the guy is so dumb, he did not think of that himself.... it is just rude and in the end, adds nothing. In the end virtually EVERYTHING talked about here could be looked up in a manual, found elsewhere on the web, or from some other source.... so why even have the forum then if that is one of your points? the forum is here for everyone of every level. period. no one - new or old - is better than anyone else. if someone asks a question and it is causing you angst... just stay out of it as normally someone here will step up with an answer - nicely. but don't waste the time posting up in an effort of trying to put a guy in his place. it just gets so petty here like that with the innuendo and insinuation, it gets old.

"All I ask is that people treat me/us as politely as I/we treat them"... yeah, this is a nice thought, but just make sure you expect that from everyone and hold everyone to that standard, even those that have been around... cause I do not see that happen much.

and be rest assured, it I knew the answer, I would have posted it rather than telling him to go look for it as I am not here to taunt people.

:beatdeadhorse: - lets move on

I just looked in my manual and there is a reference to it in the index refering to page 271, however, there is nothing on page 271 about the "change engine oil soon, message center". It tells you how to check it and add it, but nothing about the message center. Plus, if you go to the system warnings related to the message center, there is no mention of an oil change reminder.

So, I have checked the manual and the answer is not there!

I have an 08 MKX and as in carbonegde's response there is reference to "change oil soon warning" and the message centre in the manual but there is no such warning in the message centre. My '05 Freestyle had such a warning but the MKX ( and I guess the Edge) does not, despite what the manual says.

boy... that is a heck of a diatribe.... :reading: I can only say, as a simple answer as I simply cannot respond to every point, just do not even post up if you are not going to help. that is the crux of this issue. why waste your time and others time and taunt a guy by posting up about "looking for the answer yourself"??? it implies to others that you think the guy is so dumb, he did not think of that himself.... it is just rude and in the end, adds nothing. In the end virtually EVERYTHING talked about here could be looked up in a manual, found elsewhere on the web, or from some other source.... so why even have the forum then if that is one of your points? the forum is here for everyone of every level. period. no one - new or old - is better than anyone else. if someone asks a question and it is causing you angst... just stay out of it as normally someone here will step up with an answer - nicely. but don't waste the time posting up in an effort of trying to put a guy in his place. it just gets so petty here like that with the innuendo and insinuation, it gets old.

"All I ask is that people treat me/us as politely as I/we treat them"... yeah, this is a nice thought, but just make sure you expect that from everyone and hold everyone to that standard, even those that have been around... cause I do not see that happen much.

and be rest assured, it I knew the answer, I would have posted it rather than telling him to go look for it as I am not here to taunt people.

Oh please - if the OP knew that the answer was in the OM, don't you think he would have looked there instead of posting the SAME QUESTION a second time? A lot of people actually FORGET that they even have an owner's manual or that it might contain the answer to their question.

If we actually DID know the answer but chose not to give it then your response might make sense, but that's not the case.

And while I might be guilty of a few sarcastic remarks here and there I've seen nothing of the sort from bbf2530. IIRC we both went OUT OF OUR WAY to help you with your purchase, even though you kept asking the same questions over and over. And over and over.

Get over it. And RTFM.

:beatdeadhorse: - lets move on

Hi Lex. Before you even read past the next sentence, ask yourself truthfully: When have you ever seen one of my posts taunt someone? I, along with others like "akirby", supply answers to peoples questions. In fact, again, I have been nothing but polite and helpful to you, and others. In fact, I defended you when some forum members were expressing some pent up anger towards you. Perhaps you have forgotten.

As I stated, nobody including you, had answered "vsutton's" post from the 28th. He posted it again twice today. That would be three times, in three days. It was rather obvious that it would likely not get answered again. So, instead of having him wait days again for no answer, I told him where he could find the answer, since he obviously had not checked the Owners manual before.

My answer was helpful. It told him where to find the answer, as opposed to waiting days for no answer. Seems pretty clear.

Again, I did not know the answer since I do not own an Edge, so do not have an Edge Owners manual. I have an MKZ and a Cougar, so have had no need to download the online Edge Manual.

If I know the answer to a question, I will post it. If I do not know the answer, and do not have the time to look it up, I will let the person know where they can find the answer. If I do not know where to look it up either, I do not post.

You however, are expecting an Edge. Since, for some reason you saw fit to criticize how I answered the question, here is the link where you can download the Edge Owners Manual: LINK: Download Owners Manuals

Please go download the Edge Manual. In this way, you can join us in sometimes looking up information for other forum members, as I already often do.

Lead by example.

And please keep in mind I would not have needed to launch into a "heck of a diatribe", if my polite and helpful originally posted answer had not been incorrectly attacked as being rude.

Now, if you will stop beating the dead horse, we can get back to trying to help people.

I do not hold a grudge, so please let it end now.

Good luck Lex. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

How about back to topic and the fact that the answer is clearly not in the manual???

Well carbonedge, to try and help, I just downloaded the Online version of the Edge Owners Manual. My reading of the Manual would indicate that the answer to "vsutton's" question is no, there is no oil service indicator (or "oil changer reminder").

The Online Manual does not mention an "Oil Service Light" or anything resembling it, either in the oil change section, or the dashboard warning light/information center clusters. That, to me would indicate there is none, since the Manual will tell you what is there, but it will not tell you what is not there.

In the Index, under "O" for oil, it only lists "Oil (see Engine oil) ..................275" (referring to page 275).

Also, in the Driver Controls - Message Center Section (pages 98-107), it makes no mention of such a warning system.

Please understand that I am not saying the following to be a wiseguy: The answer in the Manual seems clear to me. Again, it makes no mention of any type of Oil Service Monitor, anywhere that I can find.

If that answer does not suffice, and unless/until someone has some reliable information otherwise, I would recommend asking the Dealers Service Department.

Edited by bbf2530

Well carbonedge, to try and help, I just downloaded the Edge Owners Manual. My reading of the Manual would indicate that the answer to "vsutton's" question is no, there is no oil service indicator (or "oil changer reminder").

The Online Manual does not mention an "Oil Service Light" or anything resembling it, either in the oil change section, or the dashboard warning light/information center clusters. That, to me would indicate there is none, since the Manual will tell you what is there, but it will not tell you what is not there.

In the Index, under "O" for oil, it only lists "Oil (see Engine oil) ..................275" (referring to page 275).

Please understand that I am not saying the following to be a wiseguy: The answer in the Manual seems clear to me. Again, it makes no mention of any type of Oil Service Monitor, anywhere that I can find.

If that answer does not suffice, and unless/until someone has some reliable information otherwise, I would recommend asking the Dealers Service Department.

Copy/Paste from the OM index:

Engine oil ..................................271

change oil soon warning,

message center .......................271

checking and adding ..............271

dipstick ....................................271

I'm not arguing either way with any of you, just trying to help out the original poster and these were my findings based on the subsequent postings. And I agree, if it were a major concern for me, I would be inquiring further with the dealer at this point.

And I don't take you as a wise guy at all; I haven't seen any of them here lately, but wish they would come back. They crack me up! That's what drew me to this forum and it's been getting a bit boring lately.

Copy/Paste from the OM index:

Engine oil ..................................271

change oil soon warning,

message center .......................271

checking and adding ..............271

dipstick ....................................271

I'm not arguing either way with any of you, just trying to help out the original poster and these were my findings based on the subsequent postings. And I agree, if it were a major concern for me, I would be inquiring further with the dealer at this point.

And I don't take you as a wise guy at all; I haven't seen any of them here lately, but wish they would come back. They crack me up! That's what drew me to this forum and it's been getting a bit boring lately.

Hi carbonedge+. :D That is actually why I recommended the original poster look in his Owners Manual, because I know these things are always confusing.

Under "Oil", the Online version of the 2007 Edge Owners Manual lists exactly what I copied and pasted in my last post. It makes no mention of the "change oil soon warning, message center".

EDIT: I see where you are saying that under "Engine Oil", it lists the following:

Engine oil ..................................275

change oil soon warning,

message center .......................275

checking and adding ..............275

dipstick ....................................275

I see what you are talking about, but as you said, there is no mention of the message on page 275. In fact, if you notice, the Online version even lists a different page than your hard copy (275 vs. 271).

Sometimes, these things happen, where a change is made to the actual production vehicle, after the manuals are printed. It seems like that may be the case here.

This may seem like a stupid question, but is your Edge a 2007, or 2008. It could make a difference in the Manual.

Anyway, at this point, unless someone has actually seen a "Change Oil Soon" warning light up on their dash, it looks as though there is none.

I think our advice about asking the Dealer would be the best bet.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi all. :D Changing gears for a moment. Just wanted to make mention of the Edge's oil change interval, since one or two of you have posts in this thread that lead me to believe you have not checked the "Maintenance Schedule".

The recommended oil change for the Edge's 3.5L engine is 7,500 miles (not the older 3,000 or 5,000 mile intervals). Of course, everyone is free to change it sooner if they like. However, I figured better safe than sorry, since this will be a longer interval than most are used to on older cars.

And not to preach, but this is just another reason why we (notice I say we, including me :shades: ) should all read our Owners Manuals and Maintenance Schedules.

Good luck! :beerchug:

PS - Carbonedge, I think I was editing my previous post (#21), while you were composing your last one (#22). I added some info, if you care to take a look.

Edited by bbf2530

my reply here is an example of solid well placed sarcasm with a twist of irony... yours, well.....

You know what's rude, Lex? Asking the same question over and over and over....in multiple places.......even after it's been answered by 2 different people. And it's not only rude, it's irritating. And you know what I'm talking about.