We are buying an Edge today, I have a few questions.

freekyFX4

Well, like the title says, we are buying an edge today. We went in and spoke to them on Wednesday, and my wife picked out a Creme Brulee Limited with every option except navigation, rear DVD, and AWD. They have the same exact car in stock WITH AWD for $1800 more.

1. Would you recommend going with AWD or not? Here in Tennessee, it really isn't necessary, but I always said that I would never own an SUV without it.

2. We get X-plan price on Ford vehicles. The MSRP is $34,515 and X-plan price is $32,614. Can I realistically do better than this price?

She is going to take the $500 bonus cash and the 3.9% financing for 60 months. We are not trading in her 2003 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Ford Explorer, as that will become our kids' vehicle. Total amount financed, if she does not put anything but the $500 bonus cash, will be a little over $35,000 and monthly payment will be right at $630. That payment will be a real relief after 5 years of paying $750 a month for our Explorer, which was financed at 0% for 60 months. The only things I am not sure about are the AWD and the X-plan price. Any comments are welcome and don't worry about hurting my feelings. I'm pretty tough. Thanks in advance!

John

Edited by freekyFX4

Well, like the title says, my wife is buying an edge today. We went in and spoke to them on Wednesday, and she picked out a Creme Brulee Limited with every option except navigation, rear DVD, and AWD. They have the same exact car WITH AWD for $1800 more.

1. Would you recommend going with AWD or not? Here in Tennessee, it really isn't necessary, but I always said that I would never own an SUV without it.

2. We get X-plan price on Ford vehicles. The MSRP is $34,515 and X-plan price is $32,614. Can I realistically do better than this price?

She is going to take the $500 bonus cash and the 3.9% financing for 60 months. We are not trading in her 2003 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Ford Explorer, as that will become our kids' vehicle. Total amount financed, if she does not put anything but the $500 bonus cash, will be a little over $35,000 and monthly payment will be right at $630. That payment will be a real relief after 5 years of paying $750 a month for our Explorer, which was financed at 0% for 60 months. The only things I am not sure about are the AWD and the X-plan price. Any comments are welcome and don't worry about hurting my feelings. I'm pretty tough. Thanks in advance!

John

Hi John. :D Well, maybe everyone who viewed so far is having a bad day, and waiting until they feel better? :hysterical:

Here is my opinion on the FWD/AWD question: While the vehicle will handle better in inclement weather, there does seem to be a sizable MPG penalty, according to most accounts.

I have a 2007 Lincoln MKZ, and decided against the AWD option, as I felt the advantages were outweighed by the added cost, complexity and MPG penalty for where I live. I live in NJ, and obviously realize the situation of others will differ.

While we do sometimes get heavy snow/blizzards here, I do not have to leave the house if the weather is that bad, do not live in a remote area, etc.

I know that there are others who do need it, and feel the AWD is worth it. I respect their decision, and for them, it is worth it. Take your personal situation into account, weigh the pros and cons and decide what is best for you.

As to the X-Plan question. Yes, the X-Plan price will almost certainly give you a better deal than negotiating on your own. Keep in mind that you are also entitled to all publicly available Cash Incentives when you purchase using the X-Plan. So your actual price would be the X-Plan minus any available Incentives.

If you still have doubts that it will give you the best pricing, I would recommend this: Go here LINK: Ford Direct. Use the "Search Inventory" function to find a vehicle, at a Dealership other than the one you would normally purchase. Go there and try to negotiate your own price, not letting them know you already know the X-Plan price. Be sure you get the bottom line price, including all fees, charges, taxes, etc etc. If you can get a price which is below X-Plan, buy it.

The vast majority of times, that will not be the case. Then, you can go back to the Dealer you would normally purchase from, and order/purchase with the X-Plan (once you have a PIN).

However, essentially X-Plan will give you the best price, unless you are looking to buy a vehicle that the Dealership is really desperate to unload (i.e. older models, demos etc.). So I would recommend just narrowing your focus to getting an X-Plan PIN and using it.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi John. :D Well, maybe everyone who viewed so far is having a bad day, and waiting until they feel better? :hysterical:

Here is my opinion on the FWD/AWD question: While the vehicle will handle better in inclement weather, there does seem to be a sizable MPG penalty, according to most accounts.

I have a 2007 Lincoln MKZ, and decided against the AWD option, as I felt the advantages were outweighed by the added cost, complexity and MPG penalty (I live in NJ).

While we do sometimes get heavy snow/blizzards here, I do not have to leave the house if the weather is that bad, do not live in a remote area, etc.

I know that there are others who do need it, and feel the AWD is worth it. I respect their decision, and for them, it is worth it. Take your personal situation into account, weigh the pros and cons and decide what is best for you.

As to the X-Plan question. Yes, the X-Plan price will almost certainly give you a better deal than negotiating on your own. Keep in mind that you are also entitled to all publicly available Cash Incentives when you purchase using the X-Plan. So your actual price would be the X-Plan minus any available Incentives.

I would recommend this: Go here LINK: Ford Direct. Use the "Search Inventory" function to find a vehicle, at a Dealership other than the one you would normally purchase. Go there and try to negotiate your own price, not letting them know you already know the X-Plan price. Be sure you get the bottom line price, including all fees, charges, taxes, etc etc. If you can get a price which is below X-Plan, buy it.

The vast majority of times, that will not be the case. Then, you can go back to the Delaer you would normally purchase from, and order/purchase with the X-Plan (once you have a PIN).

Ok, now I am confused. We have our pin nimber. The dealer told us that we would need to choose one incentive or the other. Our choices were to take either the $1500 cash back OR the $500 bonus cash and the 3.9% APR. Are you saying that we should get BOTH? If that is the case, then our dealer is screwing us over.

And just a reminder about X plan - the dealer can only charge you up to $75 documentation fee. Without X plan the normal doc fee is typically $300-$500. So the dealer may give you the X plan price without a PIN but you'll end up paying up to $500 more just because of the doc fees. Make sure those are included in any calculations.

The dealer also gets a spiff check from Ford for each plan sale. So if the dealer sold you the vehicle for X plan price plus $75 doc fee (without a pin) they're actually losing that $400 (est.) spiff check from Ford.

I seriously doubt that you'd do better than X plan (all costs considered) without a PIN unless you had compromising pictures of the sales manager.

Ok, now I am confused. We have our pin nimber. The dealer told us that we would need to choose one incentive or the other. Our choices were to take either the $1500 cash back OR the $500 bonus cash and the 3.9% APR. Are you saying that we should get BOTH? If that is the case, then our dealer is screwing us over.

No, they are not "screwing you". That is the same choice which Retail (non-Plan) buyers must make. It is one or the other for everyone.

In other words, if you were purchasing retail, you would only be able to get "$1500 cash back OR the $500 bonus cash and the 3.9% APR".

When you purchase on the X-Plan, the rules are the same.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the info. I called the Ford Marketing people and they confirmed that it is an "either/or" situation. I wish the choice to get AWD was mine to make...but alas, my wife must make that choice. I just wish I had a better reason to give her for getting it than just the fact that I want it. I will let you guys know what happens after we get home from the stealership.

Thanks for the info. I called the Ford Marketing people and they confirmed that it is an "either/or" situation. I wish the choice to get AWD was mine to make...but alas, my wife must make that choice. I just wish I had a better reason to give her for getting it than just the fact that I want it. I will let you guys know what happens after we get home from the stealership.

Hi freeky. :D Well, if you really want it, the best way to pitch it to your wife would probably be emphasizing the safety aspects of AWD.

:redcard: Just do us a favor, don't complain about the lower MPG figures you are getting afterwards. We already know. :hysterical:

Let us know how you do with the little woman, and good luck! :beerchug:

PS - I hope it is obvious to anyone reading this, that I am kidding! :shades:

Edited by bbf2530

AWD costs about $1,600 more than FWD - gets less fuel economy and in Atlanta will bring about $1,000 or less at resale. I'll pass, as do most Atlantans.

If you lived in Reno Nevada, it would be difficult to find or resell a FWD Edge.

Consider the need, cost and resale value.

Well, dang it! This is why I hate selling my old cars personally. I have to vent. Anyway, this woman calls us up on Wednesday night and asks if we still have the 1993 BMW 740iL for sale. I tell her yes and we work out the details for her to come by my wife's work on Thursday to see/test drive the car. On Thursday morning, she gets to where the car is and calls my wife from the parking lot and tells her that she is there, but that she does not want to drive it or anything, but that she will come and test drive it later that night. Well, the weather got bad on Thursday night, so she changed it to friday afternoon and wanted us to drive the car over to Enterprise Car Rental, where she had to turn in her rental car. Now, keep in mind, she has already seen the car in person and says that she is very serious about buying the car but wants a carfax report on the car. My wife agrees and pays $25 for the Carfax report on the car and we meet her at Enterprise this afternoon. After driving the car, which runs great for a 15 year old car, she says she will think about it and will get back to us before the end of the weekend. Angrily, my wife and I leave in our separate cars to go back to work. My wife calls the dealer and talks to the salesman, telling him that it may be a while before we sell the BMW and not to hold it for us. He asks what it will take to make the deal work and my wife told him that we would trade the BMW in if he would give us $3000 for it. He agreed, so now we will be financing $3000 less but will have to pay the $2800 payoff on the Explorer so we don't have to carry full coverage insurance on it (since our insurance company will not insure the kids in a car with comprehensive coverage).

I had already made my mind up that I was not going to go out of my way for any more prospective buyers...now I don't have to!

As far as the AWD goes, I'm still trying, but I don't think we're going to get the AWD. She just won't go for it. It must be a guy thing! We're going to the dealership in about an hour. Wish me luck.

Edited by freekyFX4

if you have not purchased yet...

I live in socal and have no need for AWD so passed... sometimes it would be nice, but in real day to day driving, just not a realistic need. I ordered FWD and feel 100% confident with that. I think it totally comes down to the climate you live in. If you have a snowy season like the midwest, which is what I spent 18 years growing up in, AWD would be a go for me, but where I live, no real reason for the 5 times I 'might' need it a year.

I would base my decision on that.

if you have not purchased yet...

I live in socal and have no need for AWD so passed... sometimes it would be nice, but in real day to day driving, just not a realistic need. I ordered FWD and feel 100% confident with that. I think it totally comes down to the climate you live in. If you have a snowy season like the midwest, which is what I spent 18 years growing up in, AWD would be a go for me, but where I live, no real reason for the 5 times I 'might' need it a year.

I would base my decision on that.

We got the AWD and it drives like a dream. More later, including pics.

YOU MUST get the AWD, it is amazing.

We are having a lot of snow here in Vancouver and I had to pull a FWD Edge out of the snow last weekend

at one of local ski resorts.

The extra $1800 is well woth it.

We got the AWD...Creme Brulee Limited with every option except navigation and DVD. My wife is in heaven.

Well, like the title says, we are buying an edge today. We went in and spoke to them on Wednesday, and my wife picked out a Creme Brulee Limited with every option except navigation, rear DVD, and AWD. They have the same exact car in stock WITH AWD for $1800 more.

John

Get AWD for better resale value. For pricing go to edmunds.com ...you shoud be able to get the vehicle at invoice, I did ! JR

Get AWD for better resale value. For pricing go to edmunds.com ...you shoud be able to get the vehicle at invoice, I did ! JR

X-plan is within ~$30 of invoice(base models a few bucks over, loaded ones a few bucks under), with no processing fee so another $200-500 less. They already bought it btw.

Congrats on the new Edge! After 1000 miles or so the power will get up a bit, transmission will shift smarter and faster, and the MPG will go up, not to mention the exhaust will break in. You'll love it. I am a die hard hot rod fan and yet can't get over how quiet and smooth this damn thing is.... Even driving new $70+K MB's and the like, the Edge is just as quiet and the transmission at least as good.

Thanks Kevin. I think it was one of your posts that helped me convince my wife that the AWD was not just for people who lived in cold climates. There seems to be a lot of confusion by car buyers about AWD, and it is only made worse by the fact that most car salemen don't know the difference between AWD and 4WD. Ford really needs to train their salesmen a little better when it comes to AWD. Our salesmen tried his best to talk my wife out of getting the AWD, saying it was heavier, more complex, got lower gas mileage, and was not needed in our climate. He was also the Truck Manager at the dealership, which would explain the fact that they had 33 Edge's on the lot and only one of them was an AWD.