Click/pop noise

PhillyB87

My wife's 08 FWD Edge has recently started making a clicking/popping noise from the driver side front end. It does it when taking off from a dead stop and periodically when letting off the gas (slight weight transfer). Turning does not cause the noise. I cannot get it to make the noise when the front end is on jack stands. Cv boots, ball joints all look good. No excessive play in the tire/wheel when checking for bad ball joints. Car just turned 100k miles last week. I've had a few people say bad cv joint but I'm not 100% sold as it's the noise isn't caused by turning. Seems to be caused by weight transfer. Any suggestions? Hoping it's a quick/cheap fix. Wanting to sell and upgrade to a newer Edge.

Edited by PhillyB87

Does the sound vary with speed?

FWD or AWD?

Does the click or pop occur for only a few seconds (just when acceleration starts) or does it continue for a period of time?

Is it poss that this is a body panel making a clicking sound as the center of gravity changes, or more related to drive train?

Car is front wheel drive. Pop isn't constant, sound doesn't change with speed. Usually does 2-3 quick clicks/pops when taking off. It does a pop/click sometimes when letting off the gas . Bumps and turning do not cause the noise. I replaced the torque strut mount last week as it had a fair amount of slop. Motor mounts appear to be fine, No excessive movement from the motor. I wouldn't think it's a body panel. it was involved in a very light front end collision over 2 years ago but haven't had any sort of issue from that. I will go over the sway bar/sub frame bushings this week. I had it at a shop last weekend and they couldn't find the issue, then again they said they weren't able to hear the noise. If need be, I can post a video of the noise.

Edited by PhillyB87

I'll try to post a video tomorrow night. Not too sure how to do it but I'll figure it out. I hadn't heard of the Chassis Ear. That things is pretty cool and would be very useful. I do a lot of my own work and man would there of been times that thing would have been useful!

Edited by PhillyB87

They make them in wired and wireless versions.

http://www.steelmantools.com/wireless-chassisear.html

http://www.steelmantools.com/diagnostics/listening-devices/chassisear.html

The full lineup:

http://www.steelmantools.com/diagnostics/listening-devices.html

Any shock/strut/spring work done recently? Shock mounts/bearings can cause all kinds of noises. Especially evident when you hit a rough patch on the road.

Very strange. The sound is clearly heard, but does not provide hints as to the cause at all! Can you make it happen simply by rowing through the gears while parked?

Sometimes it will if I go from park to drive then to reverse or vice-versa if I let the car roll slightly (lite pressure on brake pedal). I'm hoping to getting around to looking everything over again tomorrow night. I'm hoping it's something simple that I'm over looking/thinking. The noise started about 2 weeks ago. I put new brakes on all the way around in March but don't think this noise is related to that since it just recently started. I went ahead and replaced the hardware and cleaned/regressed everything on the driver side just to make sure about a week and half ago, followed by replacing the torque strut mount. Figured I'd start off small and work my way up.

Broken sway bar link....I would say. Jack it up and tug on them. Most likely broken at the weld and you may not of noticed it. check out this video and listen to the noises about 3- 4 minutes into it when I am going forward and reverse. The noise is a broken sway bar link. Transmission torque mount was wasted also but you can hear the sway bar link clanking.

• Like 1

Broken sway bar link....I would say. Jack it up and tug on them. Most likely broken at the weld and you may not of noticed it. check out this video and listen to the noises about 3- 4 minutes into it when I am going forward and reverse. The noise is a broken sway bar link. Transmission torque mount was wasted also but you can hear the sway bar link clanking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qowFw8lzgig

I actually came across your video when I decided to replace the torque strut mount. Is the sway bar end link difficult to replace?

Edit: just jacked it up and crawled under it while I had the wife make the car make the noise . Wish it were the sway bar end link as it looks like a piece of cake to swap out. However, I'm 99% certain it's a bad cv joint. I can feel the pop/creek in the axle and boot when the noise occurs. Looks like I know what one of my chores is this weekend

Edited by PhillyB87

Generally the sway bar link is not difficult. Be very careful when removing it or it will strip out the hex insert. If that happens then you get to break out the saws all or cut off wheel and go to town on it. I recommend the Moog problem solver sway links. I did a review on it on my channel. These links are made to be removed easily and then reinstalled along with grease fittings for longer life. My LCA removal and install video shows what happens when they strip out. As i understand it WWWPerfA ZNOW has to replace his about every six months due to him running canyon walls with his Edge.

I actually came across your video when I decided to replace the torque strut mount. Is the sway bar end link difficult to replace?

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1