2015 Ford Edge SE Front bumper OEM/aftermarket light install

edmonton.guy

You just want the "signature" led light thay the titanium/sport have? There is absolutely nk advantage to having it. I'd honestly wait till a "cool" after market one becomes available. Myself, i'd ditch the LED for an actual fog light.

Ya, the LED lights. I understand that they are probably not useful, but the black plastic covering in place of those LED's look very ugly. So I was wondering if the SE trim would have the wiring in place for those lights or I have to run wires. I am thinking of installing those for the time being until there are cool ones available.

Id give it a few months and wait for Dan at daytimebrightlites.com to come out wit h fog/drl lights for the new model Edge.

I put his headlights and drl's on my 2014 and could not be more pleased.

Im sure Dan is working on them....drop him a line on his website and ask.

Edited by rwf78155

Id give it a few months and wait for Dan at daytimebrightlites.com to come out wit h fog/drl lights for the new model Edge.

I put his headlights and drl's on my 2014 and could not be more pleased.

Im sure Dan is working on them....drop him a line on his website and ask.

Right, I checked with them. Nothing yet for 2015. But my question is, if I get the OEM LED's, is my SE trim prewired for those and I will just plug the connector to the lights or I will have to run new wiring?

Yes, these are the lights I want to hook up for now. Thanks Vadimus :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok... Replying to my own post about removing the OEM DRL (signature LED) lights/bezels. Well, after investigating this on my own, I decided to take my 2016 Edge Titanium to a local body shop. The end result was that they had to remove the whole front fascia (dozens of screws, clips, etc.) to get to the screws and clips that held the OEM bezels in place. I replaced the OEM bezels with "direct fit" or so they said, Chinese bezels with LED fog lights for about $120. Warning... they were not a "direct fit," at least not on a 2016 U.S. version Edge. While they did pretty much fit in the fascia openings, the clips on the Chinese bezels did not line up with the former OEM clip locations. In additional, we had to "think outside the box" and trim some of the interior plastic to allow for the fog lights to fit properly. We were able to hold the new bezels in with 3 screws each from the inside. In the end, as you can see, it worked out and they look great, but it took more work than anticipated. The body shop guys were great and only charged me $150 to do the work.

post-39941-0-99828000-1460429457_thumb.jpg

Edited by bvroeg
  • Like 4

Follow-up to my previous post... Phase 2a - Connecting the halo LEDs on the fog light completed. Removed the headlights to access the wiring and simply attached the positive and negative wires from the LEDs to the respective wires on the OEM signature light harness and they work! Phase 2b will be to connect the fog lights, which will require a bit more work. I purchased a fog light wiring kit with a relay, wired switch, and all the necessary cabling. I have to find a way through the firewall though. Any ideas are welcomed! Another thought would be to find a wiring kit with a remote (wireless) switch, but not sure if one exists.

post-39941-0-99113300-1460839357_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great thought; however, it looks like the ones you linked to are for the Focus/Mustang and the ones in the Edge are different (see photo). I will check to see if the Chinese Edge OEM controller is available somewhere. Thanks though!

post-39941-0-99001100-1461357665_thumb.jpg

Edited by bvroeg

Phase 2b complete... I found a grommet for the hood release and was able to slip the switch wires along side; not easy, but I used a clothes hanger to get through, slid a Bic pen casing over the clothes hanger and through the grommet, then pulled the wire through with the hanger, after removing the harness clip (to be re-attached later). It took a couple of tries and the grommet cannot be seen in the engine compartment (the white clothes hanger found its way to a visible location. So, I wired the whole thing as directed, found the headlight power wire on the headlight harness, and after having to change the order of the wires (removed earlier to pass through the firewall) from the switch to the relay unit, it all works!!! They are very bright straight on... probably too bright to use all the time.

post-39941-0-50555400-1461958887_thumb.jpg

post-39941-0-92876000-1461961674_thumb.jpg

Edited by bvroeg
  • Like 1

Next project: Change the "brushed aluminum" - looking parts on the grille of my 2016 Edge Titanium to gloss black to match the new chrome/gloss black fog light bezels. The photo prototype is below. My plan is to use gloss black automotive vinyl wrap, leaving the chrome parts exposed. Cost is expected to be around $20. Will have to evaluate whether I can do it with the grille installed or if I have to remove the grille, which will be more complicated. Hoping this will give my Edge a more aggressive look, without changing it to the Sport grille ($600+).

post-39941-0-43976000-1462378303_thumb.jpg

Edited by bvroeg
  • Like 1

Hi Barry, Looks real Nice! Just like a Chinese Edge. Did you change the dim low beam headlights from the stock Halogens. I put the Silver Star Ultras in because I was going to drive it on vacation before I got my HID’s installed. The ultras were much better than stock bulbs, but Sylvania says the average life is 150 hours. The HID’s worked out pretty well in the stock projector style housings. They are cut off nice and clean for the height, and pose no problems for drivers in front of you. The light is a bit scattered and not as defined as the Ultra's, but a small price to pay to see Very Well. If I had the fogs done maybe I wouldn’t have changed them. I called Ford to see if they offered a different bulb, and they said no. They told me they get $60.00 a frikin OEM dim Halogen.

I will wait and see what Dan offer’s.
Werbs
  • Like 1

Next project: Change the "brushed aluminum" - looking parts on the grille of my 2016 Edge Titanium to gloss black to match the new chrome/gloss black fog light bezels. The photo prototype is below. My plan is to use gloss black automotive vinyl wrap, leaving the chrome parts exposed. Cost is expected to be around $20. Will have to evaluate whether I can do it with the grille installed or if I have to remove the grille, which will be more complicated. Hoping this will give my Edge a more aggressive look, without changing it to the Sport grille ($600+).

so you already bought the fog light bezels from China? Mine should be here soon, though I wont finish my build till after August due to traveling throughout the asian pacific region from mid june-august.

Hi Barry, Looks real Nice! Just like a Chinese Edge. Did you change the dim low beam headlights from the stock Halogens. I put the Silver Star Ultras in because I was going to drive it on vacation before I got my HID’s installed. The ultras were much better than stock bulbs, but Sylvania says the average life is 150 hours. The HID’s worked out pretty well in the stock projector style housings. They are cut off nice and clean for the height, and pose no problems for drivers in front of you. The light is a bit scattered and not as defined as the Ultra's, but a small price to pay to see Very Well. If I had the fogs done maybe I wouldn’t have changed them. I called Ford to see if they offered a different bulb, and they said no. They told me they get $60.00 a frikin OEM dim Halogen.

I will wait and see what Dan offer’s.
Werbs

well I could tell you why the light isn't as refined with the HID but that's just going to open the flood gates for everybody else too. Silver Stars are HORRIBLE halogen bulbs. They have a short life span due to being engineered to run at their peak at all times. kinda like over clocking a computer.

actually answered my question going back looking through the thread. I see you bought the generic projectors with the halos on them. What size are the projectors? I have the Fog Light Bezel en route and I'm trying to figure out which xb led or jw speaker fog light set to go with depending upon size.

Hi Werbs... The Titanium already has HIDs, so no changes necessary. Mine also has auto-hi beams, so once set, the hi beams will come on where there is no oncoming traffic and go out when traffic approaches or when there is a car ahead (I think). Not crazy about that feature. I guess it would be good on country roads with very little light and visibility.

Hi Nick... Yes I purchased the bezels from China. I was a bit skeptical, but they were delivered in under a week. If you didn't do so already, read my warning about the fit; they fit in the bumper/fascia openings, but the clips on the Chinese bezels will not latch to anything inside. I have to take my headlights out again to finalize the wiring (wrap in plastic loom), so I will take some photos of what I had to cut out (yes, cut out) to make the fogs fit and where I attached the Chinese bezels to the fascia. You will have to remove the whole bumper/fascia to remove the OEM signature lights. Also, depending on the fog lights you select, you may have trouble mounting them to anything in the fascia. I mounted mine to the bezel with double-sided 3M automotive tape and silicone adhesive, and electrical tape to seal the gap between the "3-inch" Chinese fog light lens and the "3-inch" opening in the Chinese bezel. Not exact, to say the least. Ideally, a slightly larger fog light (3 1/4") would be better and preferably one that can be aimed. I did mine more for the looks, but if you plan on using them regularly, you may want to spend more time getting the perfect lights. Just my 2 cents!

post-39941-0-94973600-1462486919_thumb.jpg

Edited by bvroeg
  • Like 1

Took the right (driver's side) headlight to finish up some wiring (photos posted below). Cannot see where the bezels are attached to fascia, unfortunately, without pulling the fascia back (off)... Sorry Nick. Now that I know how to do it, it isn't a big deal. If you're interested in doing that, remove the wheel well screws and a few screws and bolts under the fascia. There is a clip that holds the grille and fascia that is easily unlatched, then you can pull the fascia forward to see the back of the fascia where the bezel is attached. On the OEM bezel, there are 2 screws that can be reached that way, but I could not reach the clips that hold the bezel in place (had to remove the whole bumper/fascia to get to those. Anyway, the wiring photos are below.

post-39941-0-16823100-1462463591_thumb.jpg

post-39941-0-70382300-1462463605_thumb.jpg

Ok...that makes me want to wait now. I hate my signature LEDs and already have an idea for a custom sequential led drl/turn signal. Ive also been searching for the brackets needed to hold the fogs with my search of the bezels. Member of FEWW that works in the plant building the edges keeps telling me to wait patiently to do my fog light conversation so I guess I will take his advice.