Snow Chains on 2015 Ford Edge with 245/50-R20 tires?

Kevin Su

I have 245/50-R20 tires on my Ford Edge Titanium FWD. The user manual seems to suggest NOT to use snow chains or any external traction control devices on anything other than 235/60-R18 tires.

Does anyone know the reason why? I need a good story to tell my wife why I can't take our new SUV out for a snow day with the kid on the mountains.

If the information on the user manual is misleading, has anyone installed snow chains on their 2015 Ford Edge with 20" wheels - Both 2WD and 4WD models? Which one do you have and what's your impression / recommendation?

Thanks.

Search the net for low-profile chains. There are plenty of options from $70 on up. The Thule k-summit looks good, though expensive. It's less than a new set of tires/wheels though.

A couple months ago, I went to a Thule dealer and he said that they don't have a k-summit that will fit my 245/55/19. They even emailed Thule company rep.

A couple months ago, I went to a Thule dealer and he said that they don't have a k-summit that will fit my 245/55/19. They even emailed Thule company rep.

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/thule-xb-16-tire-chains

They have 245/50/20 for the stock Edge sport

and I was just thinking of a trip to Mammoth Mtn in February