Dash Camera Wiring

Kitulu

I bought a dashcam last year for my PCS across the country. I was reluctant to leave it plugged into the power port all the time, as I was worried that it would drain the battery. I purchased a harness to hardwire the camera into switched power, and mostly succeeded. However, with the ground wire going to the chassis, it cut out almost all FM radio reception.

Has anybody else had this issue? If so, how did you fix it, or where did you run the wires for your camera?

• 2 months later...

Where did you connect the power lead to connect to delayed power?

Reason I ask, I'm thinking that it's not the negative connection thats causing the problem (simply completing the circuit), rather the pos lead is shorting the radio signal.

Does this just happen on FM or on AM as well?

I ran it down to behind the passenger kick panel. I am not sure what the wire goes to, but it is switched power. I fixed the issue last month by moving the ground from the stereo ground lug to a smaller ground wire that is attached to the stereo ground lug. Makes no sense to me, but it fixed the issue.

I was just thinking about making this same thread.

Presently I have mine mounted under the rear view mirror, wire running down into the 12V port in the passenger footwell.

Wondering if there is an ignition power source in the rear view mirror/dome lights cluster.

Or if anyone with the service manual has the wiring diagram for it.

Having the wire hanging down looks bad, and is obstructing windshield vision. Certainly something that could get me pulled over and ticketed.

I run the cord from the dashcam to under the visor then press the cord under the rubber molding down to the floor board then under the floor mat and into the 12v plug. Nothing is in the way and I can move it pretty quickly to another vehicle like a rental should that have to be done.

just Wondering if there is an ignition power source in the rear view mirror/dome lights cluster.

Or if anyone with the service manual hais the wiring diagram for it.

I wired my radar detector to the mirror wiring with a commercial wiring harness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006074LT8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They make them to fit different vehicles and years, to fit specific equipment.

Is simple and easy, you just push the harness wires into specific locations the back of the mirrors wI ring connector, and use the two wire ties provided to anchor the harness to the mirror.

(With microphone):

(+) is pin #1, blue with orange stripe, (-) is pin #10. Wire color is black. Pos is on the accessory delay circuit, fuse #41.

When looking a face of connector with release tab down, pin 1 is lower left, pin 10 is upper right. (Reverse of looking at back of connector).

Without microphone:

(+) is pin #1 (blue with orange stripe,

(-) is pin #2 (without lighted sunvisors) or pin #3 (with lighted visors).

Connector has 7 wires and is numbered 1-7 starting from left when viewed face on and release tab is on bottom.

You can find the correct harness at their website:

http://www.mirrortap.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwwpm3BRDuh5awn4qJpLwBEiQAATTAQef_byFHwAnKPSE7fz0phXDuO8319hy0IWvpk3PUhBIaAht48P8HAQ

Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX use .080" taps for 2007-2009 and .050" for 2010+.

If your mounting something other than one of the current detectors, you could either modify an existing harness with a dofferent connector or make your own (not hard, two wires & a connector). You could also contact Mirror Tap and see if they would be willing to make you a special harness (perhaps if you furnished the correct connector).

Need to use a stiff wire or solder wires to a pin of the right diameter to be able to push into connector next to existing wires.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2