Engine has gotten louder at higher mileage

dagall

When we first bought the car the engine was quiet, you could just barely here it and the exhaust note. Now with 123,000 miles the engine is very loud and I can barely hear the exhaust note anymore. Most recently I replaced the plugs and pvc. Of course, had to remove the intake. Oil is regularly changed and tranny fluid was also changed. Could I have missed something on the intake that may cause the excessive noise? I also cleaned the throttle body. Could the catalytic converters be a little plugged causing more engine noise than exhaust? Seems a little sluggish when accelerating.

Could be the air filter, if an aftermarket "performance" type. What oil & filter do you run in the Edge (brand, weight, etc)? High quality oil is essential for a quiet running engine. How often do you change the oil/filter, does the oil look sludgy or just dark at oil change? Plugged cats will show up as lost power, are you seeing that? More likely there are leaks in the exhaust system, whether in the manifolds or in the piping. Those are prone to rusting over time.

Very possible that the noise is coming from elsewhere (wheel bearings, PTU if AWD, etc.). Those items are known to be problematic and are within the area of the "engine bay". If you can, use a mechanic's stethescope to try and isolate the location while the Edge is parked with the engine running, hood open, and wheels chocked. Check at idle, and check while someone revs to, say, 2000-2500 rpm momentarily. No loose clothing or jewelry of course.