HID or LED for headlight replacement - function over aesthetics

I've scoured the posts, and have found that generally diode dynamics and retrofit source are recommended, so I've found some quality manufacturers.

Now the question is which of the two will work best in my 2011 edge for driving at night, including the rare occasion i'll need to kick on the high beams.

The LED XML2 @ approx 1400lm http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs/listed-by-size/9005/9005-xml2-pair

or the HID 50w at 6500k http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs/listed-by-size/9005/9005-xml2-pair

I am trusting the projectors to take the massive amount of lighting and put it away from people's eyes. I think I want 50w over 35w, because I'd rather have more than less light. I don't know anything about the HID options, so if you feel that is better please help explain which options I should go with.

I hope this is a new discussion, as I didn't really see any previous posts asking this.

My $0.02:

LED: http://www.vleds.com/shop-products/lmz/lmz-4500lm/9006-lmz.html

HID: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-9012.html#.Vp7elYo8KnM

I've had the TRS morimotos in for almost 4 years and couldn't be happier. Plenty of light at night, rain and anything in between. Just keep it to 4300k or 5000k.

Edited by candurin

My $0.02:

LED: http://www.vleds.com/shop-products/lmz/lmz-4500lm/9006-lmz.html

HID: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-9012.html#.Vp7elYo8KnM

I've had the TRS morimotos in for almost 4 years and couldn't be happier. Plenty of light at night, rain and anything in between. Just keep it to 4300k or 5000k.

Thank you! From what I'm seeing you were going with 9012 and 9006, any reason? Also, any suggestions on led v.s. hid? Are yours 35 or 50w? And why not higher than 5000k? For some reason I am drawn to the white with a tint of blue.

Sorry for the 20 questions!

I think you answered your own question. If you want to be the cool guy who can say "I have LED headlights" to your friends who know nothing about aiming light and etc, then yeah, get the LEDS, otherwise go with the HIDs but if your true to function, you would do a proper retrofit and then you could either swap in a bad ass HID projector or take it one step further and swap in the LED corolla projector/LED

just personal preference, but if you have noticed, EDGEs have an issue with even regular brake bulbs melting the brake light housing. 35W is plenty enough and you should know if you've been looking at articles on HIDplanet, 55watts is just a washed out brightness

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

I think you answered your own question. If you want to be the cool guy who can say "I have LED headlights" to your friends who know nothing about aiming light and etc, then yeah, get the LEDS, otherwise go with the HIDs but if your true to function, you would do a proper retrofit and then you could either swap in a bad ass HID projector or take it one step further and swap in the LED corolla projector/LED

just personal preference, but if you have noticed, EDGEs have an issue with even regular brake bulbs melting the brake light housing. 35W is plenty enough and you should know if you've been looking at articles on HIDplanet, 55watts is just a washed out brightness

What do you mean by the retrofit.. does that mean get new headlights? Do the halogen projectors not suffice?

I've had a 35/5000 DDM kit in my 2011 Edge for 4 years now. Other then 1 bad ballast that they replaced under the lifetime warranty they have been perfect. Nice thing about going with a 35 watt kit is that you can run it as a true Plug-N-Play without wiring in a harness. I did build a harness for mine. A good 35 watt kit installed properly is way way brighter then the stock bulbs and the beam pattern stays about the same. Still the best mod I've ever done to the old Edge!!!

• Like 1

I've had a 35/5000 DDM kit in my 2011 Edge for 4 years now. Other then 1 bad ballast that they replaced under the lifetime warranty they have been perfect. Nice thing about going with a 35 watt kit is that you can run it as a true Plug-N-Play without wiring in a harness. I did build a harness for mine. A good 35 watt kit installed properly is way way brighter then the stock bulbs and the beam pattern stays about the same. Still the best mod I've ever done to the old Edge!!!

oh boy...get ready for a light projection lesson ..lol jk nick. yes he means get new fixtures..ones that are intended for hid or led. the guy knows his s%$t about lighting. i just thought id stick my nose in here..i knw it didnt belong but i have to give nick a hard time :)

• Like 2

I will not attempt to answer that. Simply because... IDK. Now if you want advice on audio lol. I'd be happy to throw advice at you :-)

I have some good audio experience :) After blowing out my hearing in highschool with 140db, I just kept it simple in the edge. 10" under-the-seat SSL, upgraded door speakers and dynomat. Sounds great, and my neighbors can't hear!

I'll wait for nick to jump back on. My car does have stock projectors, and from what I read they are not 'tuned' properly for HID. Can I get away with them, however?

what year is your edge ? it came with factory projectors? if you have the correct projectors i dont think you will need 55w. but again..what the heck do i know?? lol

Edited by fit1446

what year is your edge ? it came with factory projectors? if you have the correct projectors i dont think you will need 55w. but again..what the heck do i know?? lol

I think I'm set on 35w, I talked to a few people that sell them and as nick mentioned it just puts the bulbs on overdrive killing the life of the bulbs.

I have an 11

- 2011_ford_edge_headlight.jpg

a retrofit is when you completely open up the headlight housings and install LED projector housings or HID projector Housings. Your halogen projectors will work with HIDs, to break it all down in a school grade system kind of way. A retrofit is that kid that always went above and beyond. The guy who scored 110% when you didn't even know there was even a bonus question. putting HIDs in Halogen Projectors will get you a C in class, it works and it passes the test and the glare is minimal but it's still there. HIDs in regular halogen lights, Will get you an F, that kid that just shows up to class and sleeps the whole time and doesn't care about school. I think that's about as simply as I can put it. info on a retrofit? Just google HIDplanet retrofit, all kinds of things will come up. If you got money to spare or you are a good DIY kind of person you can do a retrofit for $300-$2,000. depending on the pieces you pick and if you are building them or someone else.

• Like 3

a retrofit is when you completely open up the headlight housings and install LED projector housings or HID projector Housings. Your halogen projectors will work with HIDs, to break it all down in a school grade system kind of way. A retrofit is that kid that always went above and beyond. The guy who scored 110% when you didn't even know there was even a bonus question. putting HIDs in Halogen Projectors will get you a C in class, it works and it passes the test and the glare is minimal but it's still there. HIDs in regular halogen lights, Will get you an F, that kid that just shows up to class and sleeps the whole time and doesn't care about school. I think that's about as simply as I can put it. info on a retrofit? Just google HIDplanet retrofit, all kinds of things will come up. If you got money to spare or you are a good DIY kind of person you can do a retrofit for $300-$2,000. depending on the pieces you pick and if you are building them or someone else.

Thank you! I was really looking for the "it works, and won't blind people like non projectors". I can handle a C, especially if the visibility is better than halogens. I certainly don't think I have the money to spare for the fine tuning, as it were.

My apologies for the delay, I was out on business all week.

I've always gone with the 55W in my cars because I like the additional lumens. Yes, 35W and 55W use the same bulbs, but the 55W ballast drive them "harder". As a result, you get a hotspot in the center of your beam pattern. This isn't a bad thing, but keep in mind it will add some washout to your color selection. A 5000K kit will the appearance of a 4300K, 6000K appears to look closer to 5000K, etc. I would have used a wire harness, regardless, so I figured I might as well go 55W

I have a 4300K bulb in my car and couldn't be happier with the color.

There was a post on here not too long ago (Nick had commented in there as well) showing the differences between a true Edge HID projector and the halogen version (the one with the dimpled lens projector). You will get a sharper cutoff without the dimpled projector but, to be honest, the HID retrofit looks just like HID OEM (to me) and absolutely lights up the road (SAFELY!)

Why 9006 vs 9012? The OEM bulb is an HIR2 bulb, which is a 9012 bulb. For a long time, aftermarket HID's only came in 9006 size, which have the same tab layout (almost, the 12 o'clock position tab is taller and wider on a 9012 than a 90060 and fit in the 9012 housing (I am using a 9006 kit for almost 4 years now). Now that the aftermarket manufacturer's are building 9012 size kits, you can just as easily use that one (9012 bulbs need modding in order to fit in a 9006 housing but not the other way around, so we are fortunate). I really doesn't make a difference.

Thank you! From what I'm seeing you were going with 9012 and 9006, any reason? Also, any suggestions on led v.s. hid? Are yours 35 or 50w? And why not higher than 5000k? For some reason I am drawn to the white with a tint of blue.

Sorry for the 20 questions!

Edited by candurin

They are labled correctly 99% of oem HID/LED do not come with a defined cutoff. Some oem setups can achieve a nice more defined cutoff with only swapping to a clear lens (swapping the actually projector lens you see when you look at a projector from outside). Though majority of oem projectors can be out performed by $40. Projectors from morimoto.

Thats just a cutoff I googled on the bottom. The first 2 pics are my actual car.

Edited by Nick Halstead