Sport mode in Canadian 13/14 SEL AWD

normcloutier

I wasn't having any luck with replies in the other post so I thought I would start fresh.

I am looking for confirmation that the transmission will automatically shift while in Sport mode without using the selective shift button.

I have an early 2013 build which apparently has issues with Sport mode (won't shift). I spoke to a nice gentleman at Ford Canada. He ran the VIN and said my vehicle is equipped with Sport mode.

I just want a bit more ammo when going to the dealer.

Can anyone confirm it shifts automatically while in Sport mode?

• 2 weeks later...

So here is what I was told.

The transmission has adaptive learning and will develop a shift pattern according to your driving. Since I didn't even know I had Sport mode in my SEL when I took delivery (I thought it was only available on Sport model), I instantly started using selective shift and always used selective shift never letting the tranny shift in Sport mode. After time, the adaptive learning thinks I only want to use selective shift and actually disabled Sport mode.

When I would shift into Sport mode, the S and gear number would appear beside the tach signalling that the tranny was in selective shift mode even though I hadn't touched the thumb selector. Now, I don't know if it was like that from the beginning as I didn't really notice. I took delivery in May 2013 so I had an early year build. It may have came that way and Sport mode never worked from day 1.

The dealer had to reset the adaptive learning and now Sport mode works. It will stay in Sport mode until I shift to drive or use the selective shift lever. Once you move to selective shift, it will stay in that mode until you shift out. I was also told that if I only ever used selective shift, that the Sport mode would probably disable itself again over time. But with the increased throttle response and acceleration, that isn't going to happen.

• Like 2

That doesn't sound right. Adaptive strategy is what the tranny uses to compensate for physical changes over the life of the tranny - it just adjusts shift pressures to keep shifts within factory spec. It doesn't really adapt to how you drive although that seems to be a common misperception among salespeople and service mgrs.

My guess is they just reset a module with IDS or just disconnected the battery and it started working.

Sorry, yes they did reset/reflash something.

Service did mention that if it locked onto selective shift again to try disconnecting battery to reset it. I have had the battery previously disconnected a few times and that never brought back sport mode which makes me think it never worked from day 1.

Regardless, if you have a 13/14 Edge and your Sport mode doesn't work, have it looked at. Lots of fun to drive now.

So here is what I was told.

The transmission has adaptive learning and will develop a shift pattern according to your driving. Since I didn't even know I had Sport mode in my SEL when I took delivery (I thought it was only available on Sport model), I instantly started using selective shift and always used selective shift never letting the tranny shift in Sport mode. After time, the adaptive learning thinks I only want to use selective shift and actually disabled Sport mode.

As akirby implied, this is 100% false. The transmission would never "learn" how you use Sport mode, so obviously it was the reset/reflash that did the trick. So no need to worry about "use it or lose it" when it comes to the Sport mode.

Edited by Waldo

• 2 weeks later...

I found the service order for this repair. Here is what is written in it.

"Performed clear keep alive memory (KAM), clear adaptive learning information. Performed solenoid body strategy drive cycle. Reprogrammed PCM".

This fixed the issue whatever the origin of it was.

"Performed clear keep alive memory (KAM), clear adaptive learning information. Performed solenoid body strategy drive cycle."

This achieved by simply disconnecting the battery for a while.

"Reprogrammed PCM".

must be the real fix.

Edited by omar302

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been a month since Ford re-flashed the PCM and what a difference. The throttle response and performance has greatly improved even in normal D mode. It felt like I was always pulling a small trailer. Always having to depress the accelerator really far to get any acceleration or to downshift.

I always suspected something since I had driven a loaner edge when mine was in the shop and could tell the difference. Someone said it was because I had the 20" wheels on a SEL model. Didn't understand what difference that would make. The 18's and 20's are the same circumference.

Regardless, if you have an edge with this issue, get it fixed. Well worth it. Too bad I spent 3 years driving it before doing something about it.

• Like 2

The difference between 18" & 20" is the weight. The wheel is heavier, obviously because it's bigger, but also the tire. Even though one might think that the wheel should be lighter having the same outer diameter but with a smaller hight (larger inner diameter), but checking tire specs, 20" wheels are either the same weight or slightly heavier than 18" wheels.