Edge/MKX Key

nsap

I thought the keyless entry (number pad) was a standalone option. whatever happened to that? so it's a key fob instead??

EDIT: nevermind, I see the entry pad is part of the convenience package that comes with SEL / SEL-Plus trim. anyway I'd like to know if it's a number pad or a key fob since I haven't seen one yet. but I should be able to go look at the dealer in a day or two

The fob is that hunk of plastic attached to the keychain. Has the lock/unlock/alarm buttons on it.

Ford has been moving away from that. Since they have a fairly large key end with the PATS security chip in it, they've been putting the lock/alarm buttons integrated right into the key itself.

I like the idea, but I live in the frigid north and put remote starters in my cars. I don't think they've put car starters into the keys yet.

• 4 months later...
Here's a picture of the key. The Edge belongs to Ford. :)

edge_key.jpg

I tried to get a new extra key today. I was told it will come right from Ford already cut for a mere $130 and then you need to have the stealer program it for another $90. what happened to going to the hardware store and getting a key made for a buck 99 :doh:

I tried to get a new extra key today. I was told it will come right from Ford already cut for a mere $130 and then you need to have the stealer program it for another $90. what happened to going to the hardware store and getting a key made for a buck 99 :doh:

Go to another "stealership". Most parts departments can cut the key (standard Ford chipped blank- "Valet Key" no buttons) or provide the full button package key, and you can program it yourself...IF... you have BOTH of the original keys. If you don't then the dealer must do the programming.

It's nice when the dealer thinks so highly of their customers.

i also live up north and have a key fob with a starter and lock and unlock on so I had a valet key cut by the dealer for $ 25.. For those who are going to do something similar - I had the trunk opener button linked to the electric seats, now the edge will be remotely started and the heated seats will also be on when I get to the car.