1st oil change 3.5

Jglow

My wife's Edge is do for her first oil change. I crawled under tonight to look at it as I like to do my own maintainance when possible. Anybody do an oil change yet on the 2015 3.5l engine? I assume the "splash guard" has to come down? No way around that? Is it just 4 bolts?

Edited by Jglow

Oil change at my Ford store is $42.95. Plus they only use synthetic blend oil. I prefer Mobil 1 full synthetic.

And yes, the stupid splash shield gets in the way of draining the oil on the 3.5L. I think they just used the 2.0L EB shield on the 3.5's. SHAME ON FORD!

Still the best EVER Ford for oil change servicabilty I have ever had is my half-breed truck! 1996 F-250 with the Navistar International built PowerStroke turbo-diesel. All three and a half gallons of oil from the oil pan and oil filter drain into a five gallon bucket at the same time.

My '88 Mustang GT5.0L HO had two drain plugs, front one drained right on the sway bar. '87 F-150 4x4 300-6 was better than most, but oil ran out of horizontal oiol filter all over engine & shop floor. '93 F-150 Lightning the filter snaked up thru front frame cross member, reduced mess from removing filter but prevented pre-filling filter.

And yes, the stupid splash shield gets in the way of draining the oil on the 3.5L. I think they just used the 2.0L EB shield on the 3.5's. SHAME ON FORD!

The shield on my Fusion, Focus and Escape are solid and have to be removed to change the oil period. I don't think they used the wrong shield.

The shield on my Fusion, Focus and Escape are solid and have to be removed to change the oil period. I don't think they used the wrong shield.[/months

My S40 has a solid shield. No cut-outs for access to drain plug. Filter on it is accessed from above. But removing the shield with it's seven screws is a PITA.

The splash shield on the 3.5L V-6 had a cut-out or knotch that was about a half inch from getting a good grip on the drain plug with either a GearWrench or socket & extension, but not quite. Plus oil drained out on the shield. I was in a hurry, wife wanted to leave on a road trip that afternoon. Plan was for next oil change to trim the shield with tin snips for access, it's just pressed fiberglass, cheap, light, flexible. I haven't even peeked under the front bumper of our new Edge with the 2.0L EB yet but I would hope it fits better allowing access to drain plug and filter. If not it will get cut to allow access. I also saw where Ford used a quarter turn molded plastic drain plug like they tried to use on the early 6.7L PowerStroke diesel engines on the 2.7L EB V-6. They lasted about six to nine months on the 6.7L PSD and Ford went to a stamped steel oil pan with o-ring sealed machined steel drain plug as opposed to the molded plastic pan with molded plastic drain plug that tended to leak. What's the saying? It's the heigth of stupidity to try the same thing again the exact same way and expect different results!?!?

A cutout would be nice if it worked. Was there also a cutout for the oil filter?

On the 3.5L the oil filter was easy to remove/install. Just a little piece of the splash shield would need to be trimmed to get access to the drain plug, like maybe an inch by 2-3 inches. May not even require removing the splash shield to trim.

The splash shield on my S-40 Volvo is made from molded fiber reinforced plastic and it's within 6 inches of being the full width of the car and about 3 to 3-1/2 feet front to back, kinda unwieldy holding it up with one hand and starting one of the seven screws to hold it up.

• 6 months later...

POWERSTROKE / anyone else who knows; I just crawled under my Edge to survey what it was going to take to change the oil. I see the shield and wondered how much cutting it will take to be able to do the oil change without making a mess (will a 1" 3" cut-out really be enough?) or having to take that shield off every time. Can anyone snap a picture of their reshaped splash shield and post it here? Also, I forgot to check out what size that drain plug was.

• 2 years later...

I recently purchased a 2016 3.5L SEL AWD.  Shortly after I got it I looked underneath to see if my PTU had the drain plug.  A bit shocked on all the covering under there.  I couldn't tell where things were at just a glance.

I have owned a 2009 for 8+ years now and never had to raise it to do oil/transmission fluid/antifreeze changes.  My guess is I will have to raise my 2016 to do these things to mainly get the shield off, right???  Also, can anyone confirm if my PTU has the drain plug.  I read some posts here about it and it seemed to depend?