Not sure what the issue is

montyvox

I was driving home from work and I got off the highway and all of a sudden I was getting this bad rumbling sound like I either have a flat or I'm driving on a rumble strip. The tire is not flat and when I hit 25/30mph is when the rumble happens again.

I think it might be a total PTU failure but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Could certainly be a PTU issue, usually you will hear gear whine, and if bad enough, grinding. Did you smell and gear oil or oily smells prior to this event? It is more likely there is wheel bearing failure though, given the symptoms.

How many miles on your Edge, and when were the spark plugs and PCV valve changed last? Any codes stored in the PCM? Is the Edge under load when the symptoms occur, such as accelerating while driving uphill or carrying extra passengers etc.?

I didn't hear a whine or any grinding sound- just the vibration and like I was driving on a rumble strip.

The plugs were changed last summer- the PCV valve hasn't been changed yet- should that be done? My edge has 145K miles on it.

This occurred when I would drive and start up the faster I went.

I don't know if the PCV valve change would help or not, but it is easiest to do when the spark plugs are done, as it sits on the firewall side valve cover. It SHOULD be changed though, because if it is gunked up, pressure will build up inside the engine until it finds an outlet, typically through engine seals.

Is there any "location" to the sound? Does it seem to come from the engine bay, the passenger compartment, driver side, passenger side, etc.? Is the rumbling only between 25-30 mph? Or does it continue from then on as speed increases? Any loss of power?