"Real-World" Fuel Economy Tests

tweakfreak88

I haven't had the vehicle long enough to even measure the fuel economy. What are you folks getting right now. Please list the following.

Year(2007 for now, heh)

2WD or 4WD

Outside Temp.

AVG trip distance

Driving conditions(city/freeway).

Odometer mileage

Anything you do that change the results such as driving style or vehicle modifcations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
FWD SE, 19 MPG, mostly city, 22 MPG, highway @ ~ 75 MPH with 1300 miles on it.

UPDATE, colder weather now, 16 MPG City, 22 MPG highway. Got 12.5 MPG once in extremly cold weather, all city, and filled up at half a tank. Not really representative of the norm.

Filled up yesterday. Mileage dropped to 14.5, mostly city driving. The MPG is headed the wrong direction. The temperatures are warmer now, up to 50's during the day. All things considered, you would think my MPG would be getting better. :banghead:

Still getting good numbers down here, however when the heat comes and the AC goes on, who knows what will happen. Hopefully the roads will clear up a little when the snowbirds go home and i can get a little more speed in the city/stop-go traffic on the highway.

Started with 176 on the clock when i bought my Edge.

So far it was 17mpg on the first fill up, 100 miles or so of city traffic, just under 6 gallons.

Road trip 22.5mpg on second fill up, approx 350 miles highway and 50 city (although that was really slow) - 400 miles on the tank and then some still in reserve as i only topped off at 18.3 gallons.

Third fill up to come this weekend after another week of city driving, numbers on the guage say i am getting just over 19mpg for the same driving as the first week, again just over 100 miles and still more than 3/4 full, probably around 6-7 gallons tomorrow for around 120-130 miles.

Fourth fill up likely at the end of the week after we take another road trip to go camping.

Didn't see this posted yet. The EPA will adopt more realistic fuel economy ratings for the 2008 model year. Here is a calculator that will help you estimate the new ratings:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp

2007 Ford Edge 2WD

current ratings 18 city 25 highway 21 combined

new ratings 16 city 23 highway 19 combined

2007 Ford Edge AWD

current ratings 17 city 24 highway 20 combined

new ratings 16 city 22 highway 18 combined

If the 3.5L is anything like the 3.0L it will take at least 3K miles to reach maximum fuel economy. And winter fuel mixes will also make it worse.

Didn't see this posted yet. The EPA will adopt more realistic fuel economy ratings for the 2008 model year. Here is a calculator that will help you estimate the new ratings:

2007 Ford Edge 2WD

2007 Ford Edge AWD

If the 3.5L is anything like the 3.0L it will take at least 3K miles to reach maximum fuel economy. And winter fuel mixes will also make it worse.

Thanks that is helpful. I am going to buy an edge this summer and fuel is a big decision with the prices going up so high.

2007 Ford Edge 2WD

2007 Ford Edge AWD

So if i am beating the EPA now, in the future i'll beat it by more.

I only had one fill up this weekend, did 405 miles on 20.5 gallons (1 of those was a quick top up in an expensive area to get me home for a cheaper full fill up) which is about 19.7mpg. This was about 150 miles in the city, 100 miles highway, 50 miles slow going around campsites and off road and another 100 on country roads through small towns. Half of the highway and country road driving was my wife as well, she has a heavier foot than me though in all the cars we have driven together. ;)

The overall so far in the 917 miles in 44.85 gals ~ 20.4mpg with about 60/40 split highway/city, its still going up every week it seems for the same commute. Hoping its still being broken in if 3k miles is the estimate.

lmao, well if fuel is a decision in what you buy....STOP looking at the EDGE!

Although my mpg's have been all over the place, the best was 17mpg and the worst was 12.3mpg. Here are my mpg's over the last 5 fill-ups.

12.3, 13.4, 17, 15.3 and 14.8. I believe I have about 1700 miles on it now? I am almost empty and will be filling up tomorrow. I have about 280 miles on this tank and I will drive it until I hit 300 or more if it means I run out on the side of the road!!!!

I can not believe I do not get over 300 miles per tank! RIDICULOUS!

lmao, well if fuel is a decision in what you buy....STOP looking at the EDGE!

Although my mpg's have been all over the place, the best was 17mpg and the worst was 12.3mpg. Here are my mpg's over the last 5 fill-ups.

12.3, 13.4, 17, 15.3 and 14.8. I believe I have about 1700 miles on it now? I am almost empty and will be filling up tomorrow. I have about 280 miles on this tank and I will drive it until I hit 300 or more if it means I run out on the side of the road!!!!

I can not believe I do not get over 300 miles per tank! RIDICULOUS!

Wow that does seem like alot.

I've had my Edge SEL+ FWD for 10 days now. It is equipped with 18"wheels and trailer towing package.

After I picked the vehicle up from the dealer I drove 30 mi. and then topped the tank off to accurately

measure the fuel economy. After ten days of driving and 200mi. this is my result.

All of the driving was in town with several short interstate trips of 10 miles or less.

The trip computer at the time of fill up was registering 19.0mpg. Total fuel used was 11.5 gals. total cost of $26.50, 201 miles traveled for a 17.5mpg average actual calculated. My previous vehicle was an 05 F150 5.4l 2wd. Driving it in a similar fashion my average mpg was 13.5.

I also checked the accuracy of the speedometer with my Garmin 2610 GPS. I found the speedo to be spot on up to 65mph. At 70 and 80mph the speedo was 1mph fast.

Overall, I am very pleased. I'm also recording my findings with www. fueleconomy.gov

capnkirk52, maybe you should continue reading the forums. and some of the other Edge forums. I am definitely not in the minority...That is great that you got 24.8 on the highway. What are your local driving numbers? (I have yet to actually do a full highway trip.)

Here are a few other sites, read what other people are getting for mpg on their Edge's. I think you will find that you may be in the MINORITY.

http://www.fordedge.org/

http://www.myfordedge.com/

and I use this one to record my mpg every tank. I wish everyone would

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?Fill...30892#addAnchor

Did you not see the numbers just in this thread that Edgy and ug.mac posted?

Well, I truly would hope I bought the worst Edge ever if I continue to get poor mpg. I just think it should be better. I am closing in on the 3000 mile mark. Whats up with the suggested 7500 mile oil change? I was thinking about 5000 miles, but correct me if I am wrong the book said every 7500 miles?

Oh well....Keep living on the Edge (of the gas stations, lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new...paint barely dry (forgot the green tint on mine) Edge SEL+, FWD

Mileage now at 21.5 with the miles at only 292. :happy feet: Sure didn't expect this!

Talked to another Edge owner yesterday, and he has hit 28 MPG. Oddly enough, he has the type of personality that I think would have a lead foot.

Edit: I should add that when I picked up the car, it had 180 miles on it - it was ordered from another TX dealer, and driven to mine.

The mpg was 17.5 at the time of pick-up.

I reset it, and the remaining miles are "mine"...and it's steadily increasing. I'm not a granny annie driver, but not a pedal-to-the-metal one either.

Yeah me too!

I thought that they were....After that 14.8 in my previous post, here are my next 3 fill ups.

16.2, 16.6 and 15mpg. These mpg's are pretty much all local driving, not a whole lot of highway. I too am not a heavy footed driver. The only time I might really get on the gas is when pulling out and it looks like I need a little extra. Other than that, I am a pretty steady calm driver....

@ pinemeadows - 21.5mpg? How about not using the computer. Fill it up. Set tripodometer to 0, drive until next fill up. Re-fill. Then take the miles you drove and divide the gallons you refilled. Then give me numbers.

I really do not want to sound like I am calling people Liars....But 15-16mpg for me, and others are getting 19-22 city/local driving? That just doesnt sound right to me.

I guess maybe location has a lot to do with it. I live in a more hilly area and it is colder right now? So you folks who live in flat areas probably would get better mpg than us that live in mountainous areas?

Jimmerz

Don't worry, you are not alone. I am still getting poor gas mileage. We had a warm up here and I didn't have to use my heater or heated seats at all. I actually broke the 16 MPG mark. That was a first. I have owned my edge since December 30, 2006. It is cold again and my mileage is dropping fast. From what I can tell, I will be getting 14 MPG during the winter and summer months when I need the heater and the air conditioner. If I am lucky, I wll get 16 MPG during the few months of the year when the temperature is good. I don't see how anyone can get 18, 19, 20 MPG in town. Maybe we have the batch of Edges that Ford forgot to put the better MPG regulator on (ha!). See you at the gas pump!!

Hubby towed a small tractor on Friday - brought the mileage down to the 15's...

It sounds like you're pretty upset with your mileage - what does your dealer say?

Ours is now up to 23+....

I'd have to say it's somewhat hilly around here...and also very cold as evidenced by the SNOW we had (in Texas!) on Saturday.

Checking it manually is a good idea; will have to remember this the next time we fill up.

Yeah me too!

@ pinemeadows - 21.5mpg? How about not using the computer. Fill it up. Set tripodometer to 0, drive until next fill up. Re-fill. Then take the miles you drove and divide the gallons you refilled. Then give me numbers.

I guess maybe location has a lot to do with it. I live in a more hilly area and it is colder right now? So you folks who live in flat areas probably would get better mpg than us that live in mountainous areas?

I havent filled up since the last time i reported, 3/29, however the gas gauge is just a touch under 1/4, probably another 80+/- miles left on it, which would make 360 miles overall for this tank (probably reach that by about Wednesday i reckon given my general commute). The general fill up to the pump clicking off from <5 miles remaining on the computer is around mid-18gal which would again make the mileage for the last two weeks around 19.4mpg. Its still a mix of 80% commuting (local roads plenty of lights, neighbourhoods and literally two miles on the interstate one way - i dont take it home as its a parking lot at that time) the rest being off-peak driving - about 50/50 interstate and city driving without much traffic.

My overall average to the last tankful is 19.3mpg (1515 miles with 78.27 gals) for a split of 38/62 city/hwy - basically my 80/20 regular weekly with a couple of modest trips (again a bit of highway, some country roads, some backroads, some city) in there on weekends during March. My regular weekly increased from 17.0 to 18.1 early to mid March with better mileage on the trips and now whatever this week is going to be.

I will concur the computer is a little optimistic, but its still in the ballpark and can certainly give you an idea of whether you are driving conservatively or aggressively.

Florida hasnt changed much, its still flat and warmish (been 70-85 the past month). Sorry again if you dont believe me or arent able to get the stated mileage from your Edge's, but i am happy with my Edge's performance to date and it still seems to be improving as i close in on the 2000mile mark (BTW if you are checking my math, the first 176 miles on the car when i bought it arent counted in my mileage calcs - last fill up at 1691 miles, only 1515 of them were mine) as i am right around 1970 right now. I hope it will continue to improve as it breaks in the last 1000 miles of the 3000 someone had suggested earlier. It definitely seems like i might be in the minority when it comes to better mileage - but that has always been the case even amongst people who drive the same car in the same area doing the same trips on all the cars i have used (i worked out the other day that its around 60 cars used to date).

• 3 months later...

Ya know, folks, the fuel mileage we all get is inversely proportional to the throttle-foot pressure. Getting high fuel mileage requires restraint and SKILL.

SKILL? Yup. Some of us pump the throttle and are hardly aware of it. Some of us are paranoid and brake and then accelerate at EVERY LITTLE change of speed of cars ahead of us.

So be easy, smooth, and steady on the throttle and watch your fuel mileage go up.

BTW, I have a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I drove it about 300 miles a couple weekends ago, level freeway, about 70MPH (which definitely was in the bottom thirdtile of speeds), used the cruise control most of the time, and got just 17.0MPG, and that's using premium, too. I'll be buying my Edge soon.