Any aftermarket brake pads?

paulmon

I think a good part of the bad braking performance with the Edge is the coefficient of friction (cf) of the brake pads Ford is using. My 04 Sienna had WAAAAAY better brakes than my new '08 Edge Limited. I don't think the pads in the edge have enough initial bite, and I find braking smoothly very difficult in this truck. I suspect that a pad with a higher cf at a lower temp will do wonders and allow one to modulate the braking better resulting in better braking but also smoother braking. I went through a similar change on my old race car (http://www.frankenmini.com if you're interested) and pads make all the difference. Too bad there is no way to get the cf graph of the OEM pads, I'd be curious as to what it looks like. Changing the pads should also improve pedal feel.

Bigger rotors won't help, rotors are giant heat sinks for dissipating the heat, and the brakes in the Edge suck all the time, not just when the rotors are hot. Bigger rotors don't help make the car stop any sooner unless the brakes are getting too hot. I would say the Edge brakes get mildly better as they warm up, which gives my theory on pads some plausibility.

For those that aren't aware a car doesn't stop because the caliper are trying squeeze the rotor so hard that it stops the car. The secret to brakes comes from the cf of the pad, higher the cf the more stopping power, while at the same time being harder on the rotors. In my race cars (new one is http://www.brutusv8.com/ if you're interested) I can adjust brake bias (how much front vs rear braking force there is) front to rear with pads by almost 10% by just changing the pads in either the front or rear or both.

Now, all this said, if the master cylinder isn't giving enough PSI to the calipers, and/or the piston size of the caliper is too small the pads won't be able to generate the friction they need to be truly effective. Fixing that would be very expensive, and virtually impossible due to stability control and anti-lock brake system control units.

So this msg is a round about way of me asking, do any aftermarket brake pad companies make pads for the Edge?

Paul

When I was asking about improving the Edge's stopping ability I received feedback about these pads from another forum member which I copied for future use---

"The best brake pads I've ever used on a vehicle are Porterfield's R-4 carbon/kevlar stuff... http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/"

If you have success with improvements on stopping distances, please keep us informed.

Edited by Rockfish

When I was asking about improving the Edge's stopping ability I received feedback about these pads from another forum member which I copied for future use---

"The best brake pads I've ever used on a vehicle are Porterfield's R-4 carbon/kevlar stuff... http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/"

If you have success with improvements on stopping distances, please keep us informed.

Porterfield doesn't make a brake pad for the Edge. I wish.

I'll email a few companies and see what I can find. I read somewhere that KVR had pads, but searching for the part numbers turned up nothing.

Paul

Porterfield doesn't make a brake pad for the Edge. I wish.

I'll email a few companies and see what I can find. I read somewhere that KVR had pads, but searching for the part numbers turned up nothing.

Paul

Paul, I copied this information from another forum member, I do not remember which one, when I was asking about braking improvement. I did not contact KVR so I can not verify the info.

For those who want to order from KVR Performance you'll need to give them the Ford Part Numbers to match up to their current parts, at least until they actually assign part numbers to the EDGE rotors and pads. So the Ford numbers are:

Front Rotors - 7T4Z1125A

Rear Rotors - 7T4Z2C026A

Front Pads - 7T4Z2001A

Rear Pads - 7T4Z2200A

Just quote those to the people at KVR and ask for the J-Hook, Slotted or Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon-Metallic Pads to suit the EDGE and you're off and running! I'm not sure if they have the 2-piece rotors available but you can ask. I ordered the J-Hook rotors cad plated and the carbon pads.

I still have not purchase the Edge but wanted to keep this info if and when I pull the trigger on the Edge. If you upgrade your brakes, please let us know what you did and the effect on stopping. Thanks

Paul, I copied this information from another forum member, I do not remember which one, when I was asking about braking improvement. I did not contact KVR so I can not verify the info.

For those who want to order from KVR Performance you'll need to give them the Ford Part Numbers to match up to their current parts, at least until they actually assign part numbers to the EDGE rotors and pads. So the Ford numbers are:

Front Rotors - 7T4Z1125A

Rear Rotors - 7T4Z2C026A

Front Pads - 7T4Z2001A

Rear Pads - 7T4Z2200A

Just quote those to the people at KVR and ask for the J-Hook, Slotted or Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon-Metallic Pads to suit the EDGE and you're off and running! I'm not sure if they have the 2-piece rotors available but you can ask. I ordered the J-Hook rotors cad plated and the carbon pads.

I still have not purchase the Edge but wanted to keep this info if and when I pull the trigger on the Edge. If you upgrade your brakes, please let us know what you did and the effect on stopping. Thanks

Those are the ford part numbers, correct?

Paul

Those are the ford part numbers, correct?

Paul

Paul, I copied the part numbers from a discussion on this forum when I was following the brake discussions

Go there and read what the original poster wrote. The topic

Replacement Rotors and Pads, A cure to the dust and poor braking?

was on page 6 of the Accessories and Modifications discussion with a last post of 8/14/07 in the

Ford Edge Forum > FORD EDGE & LINCOLN MKX MODIFICATIONS | TECHNICAL FORUM > Accessories and Modifications

Sorry, I have not figured out how to create a link to the topic

I had the Porterfield R4S pads on my 2000 Lincoln LS. They stopped like an anchor and had almost no dust, but they were a little squeaky (a few hard stops periodically fixes it) and not so great when they were stone cold. Call them and see if they have pads for the Edge if you're interested - they don't always have every vehicle listed on the charts. The LS pads were not listed but they had them.

braking is my biggest concern with the Edge as well - we're thinking about an Edge to replace my wife's jetta, now that there's a baby on the way, and I'm hoping there's something in the aftermarket to improve the 1960's-ish braking distances.

I'm thinking an upgrade to a 4pot/2pot system will do the trick, but that just means $$$$.

I too am interested in pad-only upgrade performance changes.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I have used Performance Friction pads on my other cars, and they do work well, albeit dustier and perhaps harder on the rotors.

http://www.performancefriction.com/parts-finder/pfc-catalog/aftermarket-catalog.aspx

They list pads for the 2007-2010 Edge:

Part Number Description Position Notes 1258.20 Carbon Metallic Brake Pad Front 1259.20 Carbon Metallic Brake Pad Rear

Carbotech's 1521/Bobcat pads also come recommended by many users in other forums, you can check them out here:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads.asp?Make=Ford-Trucks_%26_SUVs

Edge 2011-2011 1521 AX6 XP8 XP10 XP12 XP16 XP20 RP2 F: CT1258 $137 $151 $163 $176 $190 $205 $221 $205 R: CT1377 $130 $140 $152 $164 $177 $191 $206 $191 Edge 2007-2010 1521 AX6 XP8 XP10 XP12 XP16 XP20 RP2 F: CT1258 $137 $151 $163 $176 $190 $205 $221 $205 R: CT1259 $132 $143 $154 $166 $180 $194 $209 $194

Porterfield does now make their R4-S pads for the Edge: http://porterfield-b...Brake Pads.html

Total Record(s) - 2 ( page 1 of 1 ) [ 1 ] ap12582008_09_24_12_16_30.JPG AP1258 R4-S Click Here for Compound Information

Set of 4 Pieces

FRONT for FORD: 07-11 Edge // LINCOLN: 07-11 MKX // MAZDA: 07-11 CX-7, 07-11 CX-9

Click For Details ap12592011_03_04_02_57_42.jpg AP1259 R4-S Click Here for Compound Information

Set of 4 Pieces

REAR for FORD: 07-10 Edge // LINCOLN: 07-10 MKX // MAZDA: 07-11 CX-7, 07-11 CX-9

Click For Details

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I speak from experience here since my 07 Edge came with brakes that were not adequate.

With the changes made to my Edge it now has superb braking performance.

First; update the power booster to the latest version sold by the Ford Dealer. About $100 and a 1 hour self-service job. Search on this site for instructions and pictures.

Second: switch to a good semi-metalic pad set for the front. You know, the kind that gets your wheels dirty. If you go to NAPA ask if they have a police semi-metalic pad set that will fit. I am using a set from Bendix.

Ford also addressed the bad braking reputation of early Edges by installing stiffer rear shocks, but I did not find that change necessary in my case.

Edited by Feirstein

cold bite should be good I have Centric rotors and Bendix CT3 Ceramics on the front rated FF ,They are coming off for Motorcraft rotors and EBC Red Stuff,which comes coated with break in compound,Kevlar ,ceramic Low dust Long life,

My VW Touareg Has Brembo Pagid Pads With GG Rating ,Good bite hot or cold,Marty

• Like 1

I think a good part of the bad braking performance with the Edge is the coefficient of friction (cf) of the brake pads Ford is using. My 04 Sienna had WAAAAAY better brakes than my new '08 Edge Limited. I don't think the pads in the edge have enough initial bite, and I find braking smoothly very difficult in this truck. I suspect that a pad with a higher cf at a lower temp will do wonders and allow one to modulate the braking better resulting in better braking but also smoother braking. I went through a similar change on my old race car (http://www.frankenmini.com if you're interested) and pads make all the difference. Too bad there is no way to get the cf graph of the OEM pads, I'd be curious as to what it looks like. Changing the pads should also improve pedal feel.

Bigger rotors won't help, rotors are giant heat sinks for dissipating the heat, and the brakes in the Edge suck all the time, not just when the rotors are hot. Bigger rotors don't help make the car stop any sooner unless the brakes are getting too hot. I would say the Edge brakes get mildly better as they warm up, which gives my theory on pads some plausibility.

For those that aren't aware a car doesn't stop because the caliper are trying squeeze the rotor so hard that it stops the car. The secret to brakes comes from the cf of the pad, higher the cf the more stopping power, while at the same time being harder on the rotors. In my race cars (new one is http://www.brutusv8.com/ if you're interested) I can adjust brake bias (how much front vs rear braking force there is) front to rear with pads by almost 10% by just changing the pads in either the front or rear or both.

Now, all this said, if the master cylinder isn't giving enough PSI to the calipers, and/or the piston size of the caliper is too small the pads won't be able to generate the friction they need to be truly effective. Fixing that would be very expensive, and virtually impossible due to stability control and anti-lock brake system control units.

So this msg is a round about way of me asking, do any aftermarket brake pad companies make pads for the Edge?

Paul

does any one know the code letters on the pads EE.FF,GG??

I have the chart showing the CF's to the letters, but will be away until the 27th an could try to post then,Marty

EBC REAR BRAKE PAD SET - EBC REDSTUFF 3000 - CERAMIC

2010 FORD EDGE LIMITED 6 CYL 3.5L -- EBC REDSTUFF BRAKE PADS, CERAMIC, 2-WHEEL SET

Amazing stopping power is guaranteed with EBC Redstuff Brake Pad Set Series. Especially engineered for high-horse power imports, muscle cars, and prestige European cars, this product line has been proven to increase stopping power by a whopping 30 percent! Featuring a Kevlar-based compound that is enhanced with ceramic particles, Redstuff Pads have a higher-than-OEM heat threshold for resistance against brake fade, incredible bite from cold, a low dust rating, and long product life. All of these features make Redstuff Pads perfect for repeated heavy braking during fast street use. With EBC Redstuff Brake Pads, you have full confidence in the braking power of your vehicle.

Features:

• Asbestos-free
  • Made from a innovative blend of Kevlar fibers and enhanced ceramic particles
  • Produces 60-90 percent less dust than OE pads
  • Brake bite from cold is as good as OE or better
  • Brake performance only increases as the pads heat up
  • Built with shims, slots, and chamfers for silent braking
  • Coated with Brake-In compound for faster break-in and greater initial braking effect

Install these brake pads with the help of EBC's instructional video P/N E35DVD083 (sold separately).

Material: Ceramic

Series: EBC Redstuff 3000

Quantity Sold: 2-wheel set

Warranty: 12-month or 10,000-mile EBC warranty excluding wear and tear or race use

Part Number: E35DP31795C

Availability: In Stock

arrow-fits.gifThis Product Fits the Following Vehicles:

2010 Ford Edge Limited 6 Cyl 3.5L

The letters refer to cold/hot cf's

But what is considered cold? As much as I would like to improve braking performance I don't want to sacrifice braking distances in the winter. Especially since I live in a hilly area so it is very possible to have ice cold brake rotors and go down a large hill (25% grade for a mile). I have read posts on other forums where people had issues with winter performance but to be fair they were running full race pads. Maybe the best approach is to make sure the rating doesn't drop significantly between hot and cold...that way even if their cold is 70F the chances that the coefficient changes much for the delta T is pretty minimal.

My recommendation, posted above, came from a Ford engineer who had inside information. I followed his suggestions and they worked. Just changing out the front pads is not a complete solution for a 2008 Edge, in my opinion. All I can report is that my Bendix police rated pads and the upgraded power booster solved my lack of confidence in the Edge's brakes.

• 1 month later...

does any one know the code letters on the pads EE.FF,GG??

I have the chart showing the CF's to the letters, but will be away until the 27th an could try to post then,Marty

Sorry I hadn't been here in a couple years , our Edge has been very trouble free and I hang out on some Audi sites because I constantly work on our two quattros. .

The basics without getting into numbers is E ratings fade at a lower temp and as numbers go up to H these show almost no fade at any temp

EE pads mean the coefficent is so low the have less friction when cold 1st E and Hot 2nd E .

FF pads have decent friction cold and hot and should be the standard . When you buy a cheap pad you will see EE or FE ratings , skip either

FG is what I run on my Audi , found a Centric rear ceramic with that rating and front Posi-Quiets with . 45 stamped directly on them

GG are high performance and will seldom fade at lower temp or high temps

HH are race grade

All the following I copy and pasted from a Mustang Web site years ago into a word file:

Official D.O.T. Edge Code

Coefficient of Friction (C.F.)

@ 250 F and @ 600 F

EE

0.25 to 0.35 both temps

0-25% fade at 600 F possible

FE

0.25 to 0.35 @ 250 F

0.35 to 0.45 @ 600 F

2% to 44% fade at 600 F possible

FF

0.35 to 0.45 both temps

0-22% fade at 600 F possible

GG

0.45 to 0.55

Very Rare

HH

0.55 to 0.65

Carbon/Carbon only.

O.K. up to 3000 F where it glows

Edge codes are located on the edge of the friction material of every brake pad by government regulation, along with some other codes. The first letter is a grading of the C.F. at 250 F and the second letter is a grading of the material at 600 F. Each letter grade can actually have quite a range of C.F. But a difference in the letter grade from medium to hot temperature could be an indicator of fade. The letters can be in any order. Therefore FE pads fade when hot, and EF pads would not grab when cold.. Also, you should know that Steel on Steel has a C.F. of 0.25!! So EE pads have only marginally more torque than no pads at all! Therefore FF pads are usually considered the minimum for a high-performance pad.

I ordered Power Stop front pads this weekend . From my searching they must have around a .45 brake coefficient and be a high level FF , FG or GG pad . Have been looking around and for street these may be the higher friction alternative I've been looking for. At only 25k miles on our 2008 , it has about 6-7mm left on front pads and maybe 5-6mm on rears . All our factory rotors are dead smooth and I plan on scuffing them with a Roloc disc in my grinder before installing the pads . Doing fronts first to make sure these pads are more aggressive than the factory pads before I buy any for the rear . If I don't purchase a set of the these for th back end I'm leaning towards Centric premium ceramics or Posi-Quiet ceramics . In past 10-15 years I've also used on various cars Axxis Ultimates , EBC greens , Ceramicools , ATE , Ferodo and Performance Friction brakes . I think other than the choices that I'm looking at only Axxis Ultimate ceramics would be in the same range of higher friction , but would dust a bit more and are ever so slightly worse for rotor wear.

I had Akebono ceramics put on a car one time, didn't like the stopping power at all. Those pads came highly recommended, but my personal experience was meh. So I have stuck with Performance Friction Z-rated CM pads for other cars. Probably will wear down the rotors faster, they do dust quite a bit, but they have been there whenever I have needed them to be.

Would love to have a true high performance ceramic pad, something that doesn't dust, performs well, and minimizes enviro impact.

After I get some time on the pads on the Edge I'll update this thread . Ceramicool pads I had on my A4 were better than most , comparible to the Posi-Quiets I'm running now. The Ceramicool were a little more aggressive hot , squeeled when cold , but had almost NO dust . I nearly ordered Posi-Quiets for the Edge but the more I searched all over the WWW I found that it looked as if the Power Stops had a higher friction level . I know from having put Power Stops on both front and rear of a friends Passat that they are very grippy . His wife complained afterwards that they were TOO agressive cold . If I can get that from a set I'll be thrilled . A few reviews I saw said that cold they had less friction than when warmed up . I'm hoping thats true .

Being you've run PF carbons , you'll like that I had to drive a car 10-15 miles with a bad brake hose with those pads . It had the caliper locked . It was night and winter . When I got out of the car the rh front rotor was glowing red like a race car rotor . The excess heat cracked the back of one pad to plate surface . That pad was down to a few mm , but It made it home without it failing.

BTW , Posi-Quiets and StopTechs are owned by Centric now , so Centrics branded upper end products are benefiting from in the family type improvements . There is a cheap Centric product and premium that seem to stand up now against other industry products . I've had crappy EBC , Delco , Wagner and Raybestos products in the past , the bad EBCs being a pad failure I had just this year . I've given up on trusting any brand as a whole and have now gotten into shopping an exact product within a companies range of offerings . I work in a dealership and have started see hit and misses in all brands these days . Its getting hard to always trust products that I had in the past .

Edited by BLACK ICE
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thought of reviving this thread instead of creating a new one as I'm facing the same dilemma. I need to order brakepads for my Lincoln MKX 2009 as the stopping power sucks. However, I can only order from Amazon.com, as long as Amazon.com are the ones selling it and not some third party vendor. Therefore, I've narrowed it down to either the Centrics or Akebono:

Centric 105.1258 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims - USD 45.67
Centric 105.1259 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims - USD 31.47
Akebono ACT1259 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set - USD 64.30
Akebono ACT1258 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set - USD 65.31
Which model is better with the best bang for buck? I'm open to other brands/models too.
Cheers.