Transmission Fluid Replace?

solas989

I've done two oil changes and trans fluid drain and fills starting at 30K when the dealer service plan ended....SO EASY to do. Takes me about an hour, all said and done, and that includes lugging out all the gear, jacking up car, draining and replacing fluid, and cleaning up.

Edited by Mirage52
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I used coronan's method below also. I broke the cooler apart in the same place as shown in his post. I thought maybe if the flow was going in a full loop, that I would take the other fitting apart, and would seem like I was getting the fluid from the cooler rather than right out of the transmission. However, when I tried that, fluid came out of the block from the front hose in that coupler, just the same as it comes out of the back fitting in the instructions below. So regardless of where you take it apart, you're going to get fluid coming out of that little block. I put mine back together and used coronan's method since he seemed to describe getting most of the old fluid out.

Ā 

As someone suggested, I tried the elevated reservoir method, and that still would not pull a suction. I tied a large funnel up to a ladder, attached it with clear hose and clamps to the open hose taken off the back of the block, and filled it up with fresh fluid. Even with that, it would not pull a suction and take the new fluid.

Ā 

I pumped 6.5 qts out, and as described it starts to cavitate. I put two fresh qts in the dipstick. Pumped out another 3 qts of dirty fluid till it cavitated again. Then put two more fresh quarts in, pumped a little more out. At this point I had about 10 qts of fluid in my graduated bucket.

Ā 

Started with 10 qts in the transmission, and had put 4 back in so far. I put two more quarts in, them pumped more out until I got that translucent new red fluid in the hose. I went until my bucket read 12 qts before it got clean enough for my satisfaction.

Ā 

At this point, I put another 8 qts in, ran the car for a bit, and checked the levels once everything got up to temp.

Ā 

I would up wasting 2 qts of fluid, but at $6.50 each was a small price to pay considering my local Ford dealer wanted $225 for a flush service. I had used a pre-flush treatment, which my local dealer says they also use and they are told by Ford it will not harm the transmission, seals, or lifetime filter. I used a product called Lubegard Transmission Flush that I got from O'Reilly's.

Ā 

Thanks coronan for the great instructions. I gotta admit I was a little intimidated by this job, but it was pretty easy. Would have gone super fast if I hadn't screwed with trying the other fitting, and with trying the elevated reservoir to see if I could get a suction to take new fluid in at the same spot. Without that trial and error, maybe 1.5 hr job including cleanup. The longest part is screwing with the snaps that hold the fender well in in addition to the 5.5mm screws.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I Attempted the 2 bucket method. It does not work.

Ā 

The transmission fails to suction from the Transmission cooler hose.

Ā 

It will pump out old fluid.

Ā 

Here is my setup.

Call me lazy but the bumper looked like to time consuming to remove to get to the trany cooler. So i went after it at # 3 in Hacker's drawing. Just a few screws to remove the fender liner. Its a silly 5.5mm. WTF Ford? Who uses a 5.5mm head screw???

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

gallery_26463_710_549123.jpg

Ā 

The pressure side is in the back. A ~ 0.625" OD hose fits in the hole and helps direct the mess into the pan.

If i had to do this again I'd use a graduated bucket, so i know how much has been removed.

Ā 

gallery_26463_710_2248045.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This blue hose is connects to the hose going to the cooler. I submersed it in fluid but it failed to suction. A more elaborate method would be to run a longer hose to a elevated reservoir so it might gravity flow in. But That's more complicated and asking for a messy spill.

Ā 

gallery_26463_710_45462.jpg

Ā 

The Transmission will dump its guts in just over a minute. Increased flow while in drive.

With the GF at the Helm. We spent about 15 sec in park, 20 sec in Reverse, 30 sec in drive.

Ā 

Then the outflow got foamy. (cavitation) And we shut the engine off.

I measured 6.5 liters in the pan. Added 7 liters via the dip stick.

Ran another 20 sec in drive and 20sec In low. Then Clean red fluid was being discharged and we shut it off.

Ā 

About 3 more liters came out. That's 95%!

Ā 

No wasted fluid doing 6.5 liter fluid change 3 times.

At $12 / liter thats an extra $70 saved.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

some time ago, when I reached 118228 kilometers, I so asked questions here how to replace liquid in transmission. Then I wanted to make full replacement, the same method, but I couldn't remove hoses and plastic clip-on earrings, it seemed complex work for all who was near, there are no such cars here and to receive the help difficult, also difficult to find spare parts. Having considered and having got support at this forum, I made all works as method of partial replacement three times (especially I filled in unknown liquid of yellow color from the USA, and I shipped for priming of ATF Valvoline MaxLife, red color). Further on 136800 km I steles one more partial replacement. It seems to me, now, it more simply and not less effectively to do it through 20 000-25000 km. But also your mode as alternative good, but more responsible and difficult. Thank you for a photo, it is very important for those who will want to make replacement thus. It would be remarkable to see video how to remove plastic clip-on earrings).

Edited by EDST777
  • Like 2

Wow Dyost

You figured out the hardest way to skin that cat. I will stick with the drain and fill. Much easier in the long run and the fluid still gets changed. Drain and fill or machine exchange has worked and have not had any issues regarding transmission fluid problems with the Edge transmission.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ā 

Well, you have to remember I am in AZ which does get hotter than hell itself. I have no intention on walking home when it's 100+ outside.

Ā 

I used to live in Mesa and I will gladly trade you a short walk in 110 degree heat for a 85 degree one in Mississippi humidity.

Ā 

I used to live in Mesa and I will gladly trade you a short walk in 110 degree heat for a 85 degree one in Mississippi humidity.

Ā 

I was in MS over Memorial Day weekend and.....yeah........I can understand where you are coming from. Can't forget the skeeters, though.

Indiana. Was in the upper 60's here last week. Back up to 81Ā° here today.

Ā 

Wish you fellows from Mississippi would stop sending your mosquitoes up here. We seem to have enough. Send them to the folks in Arizona, believe they could use some more. Course you won't find any in California. They routinely burn the state down to get rid of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...