Just bought my first Ford (Edge)

Scott Bowers

I finally decided to look at American cars for the first time in my 40-something year life. I wanted a mid-size SUV with enough space for the family to travel, good gas mileage, and lots of features. After Consumer Reports recommended it, I decided to test-drive the Edge.

I was very impressed with EcoBoost. (It had better pickup than my 2012 V4 Camry which was also pretty good.) I had heard terrible things about Sync, but that Sync 3 was a significant improvement. And I also understand that CarPlay is coming "soon" to the 2016 Edge with Sync 3 for a small hardware fee, and that was a clincher for me. If that's not true, I'll probably never look at a Ford again.

So I sent an email to seven Ford dealerships in the area with my requirements and asked for an itemized final walk-out price. Five responded with offers. (A couple didn't want to give an exact price or said they didn't have anything close.) The "winner" sold me a grey exterior / black interior (you know the real color names) Titanium with the 301A option and nothing else. According to TrueCar.com, my price was "exceptional." :)

- The ride is very comfortable

- The "details" are very good

- It fits easily in my garage

- Good space for luggage

- The voice recognition is good and let's me control a lot of things

- Exterior has a good "look"

- I think my favorite feature so far is the cooled seats!

Dislikes:

- Not a fan of Sync 3 for audio. It's too hard to switch between presets. Why does it try to emulate "old fashion" presets with a limited number of choices in banks for AM, FM, and Satellite? And who needs 12 AM presets anyway? With a big screen like that in 2016, it should allow an "unlimited" number of independent presets all available on one screen. Even my Camry had 36 independent presets that I could easily switch between using my thumb.

- The printed manual is terrible. Not well written, not well organized, and several typos. (Yes, I read the manuals!) You'd think after spending hundreds of millions on development, Ford could create a decent manual. And while I'm on it, there aren't that many options. Why can't Ford give me a manual specific to the vehicle without all the "if equipped" asterisks? The online version should at least know what I have, right? The videos are pretty good, however.

So overall, I'm very happy with my decision!

Edited by Scott Bowers
  • Like 1

Why would anyone in their right mind buy a Brand New Edge anyway.

Like Brand New vs Used? Or Brand new as in first model year/re-design?

If the first one, I can tell you why:

Apparently once you go the highest trim with all the options, it's very hard to find a used (2-3 years old) vehicle, at least one that was $45-48k to start with.

Especially one within driving distance (and there's no way I'd buy a used car, sight unseen without being able to take it to a mechanic or for a test drive--unless they had something like 3-30 day 100% money back refund policy).

For example, the 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport is out now. I cannot, for the life of me, find a 2014 (which is 3 models old) used Hyunda Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo AWD WITH Ultimate Package within a 500 mile radius of where I live. Or a 2015, let alone a 2016. There are some out there, but they will either be sans Ultimate Package, or lower trim level.

So I'll probably have to go new (wouldn't mind saving 15-20k, but not if I'm going to have to drop down trim levels or lose options).

Heck, I can't even find a NEW ford Edge Titanium AWD, Turbo with 302A package, and Adaptive Steering option, and Winter Package with 19" wheels. The closest is one with the white pearl (extra $400) AWD, Turbo with 302A, 19" wheels, but no Adaptive Steering or Winter Package.

Edited by mjonis

Heck, I can't even find a NEW ford Edge Titanium AWD, Turbo with 302A package, and Adaptive Steering option, and Winter Package with 19" wheels. The closest is one with the white pearl (extra $400) AWD, Turbo with 302A, 19" wheels, but no Adaptive Steering or Winter Package.

This one is quite close (20" wheels instead of 19". Available at Romano Ford, 5431 N Burdick Street, Fayetteville, NY, 13066) :

http://www.inventory.ford.com/dealer/Romano-Ford-00693/model/2016-Edge/vin/2FMPK4K98GBB81753?zipcode=13066&segment=Crossover&inventoryType=Radius&ownerPACode=00693

This one is quite close (20" wheels instead of 19". Available at Romano Ford, 5431 N Burdick Street, Fayetteville, NY, 13066) :

http://www.inventory.ford.com/dealer/Romano-Ford-00693/model/2016-Edge/vin/2FMPK4K98GBB81753?zipcode=13066&segment=Crossover&inventoryType=Radius&ownerPACode=00693

Yeah, but I don't want the 20" wheels. Otherwise there's one over at Jack Byrne (everybody loves) that's closer.

Call me picky.

:)