No driver climate option on right 4.2¨ display

So push the media button on your steering wheel, say "climate" and "increase fan" or whatever the commands are in the 2016. No need to take your eyes off the road. So simple, an IT professional can do it.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

It does not make it easier, at all. I want to control thermostat and fan speed, without killing everyone in the car by taking my eyes off the road.

Did Ford ever explain why they removed the functionality from their cars?

Don't they have UX experts? Did they have a bug? Don't they have developers to fix it?

I'm an IT engineer so, it is mind boggling for me to see Ford remove functionality and make things dangerous for users.

Because scrolling through the menus in the cluster is actually more distracting and dangerous than using the buttons on the center stack. Ironically it was only after Ford took more of a UX approach instead of letting the IT guys design the system did they realize they needed to get rid of the feature. IT guys are the only ones for whom the cluster menu made sense.

I'm with akirby on one thing, you really don't ever need to adjust BOTH the temp and fan speed. But it's much more logical to just adjust the fan speed manually if it's too loud and leave the temp alone.

BTW the new Continental actually has a "3 mode" auto system, Auto setting 1 minimizes the noise while auto setting 3 brings the temperature to the set point as fast as possible.

Edited by Waldo

Why was such a useful feature removed?

This is how I must change climate now:

• Look down
  • Search for the temperature button
  • Look up
  • Search for the temperature information
  • Click buttons
  • Look down
  • Search for the fan speed button
  • Look up
  • Search for the fan speed information
  • Click buttons

Up to THREE SECONDS can pass while not looking on the road!

Why?

P.S.

What are the voice commands to say "one more/one less centigrade" and "faster" or "slower" fan speed?

Hi again,

The feature was found to be redundant to the option on the screen. You can use the voice command to set the temperature. Say CLIMATE SET TEMPERATURE <60 – 85>.

Joy

Hi again,

The feature was found to be redundant to the option on the screen. You can use the voice command to set the temperature. Say CLIMATE SET TEMPERATURE <60 – 85>.

Joy

If climate is redundant then multimedia, phone and navigation are also redundant!

It makes no sense.

Ford removed a very very important feature from the car.

They should put it back with the next update.

How do we even update the 4.2" screens?

By the way, I never know what temperature I want, I want it colder or hotter with more or less fan noise.

Because scrolling through the menus in the cluster is actually more distracting and dangerous than using the buttons on the center stack. Ironically it was only after Ford took more of a UX approach instead of letting the IT guys design the system did they realize they needed to get rid of the feature. IT guys are the only ones for whom the cluster menu made sense.

I'm with akirby on one thing, you really don't ever need to adjust BOTH the temp and fan speed. But it's much more logical to just adjust the fan speed manually if it's too loud and leave the temp alone.

BTW the new Continental actually has a "3 mode" auto system, Auto setting 1 minimizes the noise while auto setting 3 brings the temperature to the set point as fast as possible.

You are wrong. They got rid of the non tactile buttons.

But they replaced them with tactile buttons that are badly positioned (both temperature and fan speed share the same horizontal orientation).

The cluster menu is perfect, your eyes are always partly on road.

Edited by Damir Čolak

It makes perfect sense. Perhaps you don't understand how auto climate control works.

When in auto mode you set the temperature that you want and it controls the temp and fan speed. As you get closer to your set temp it slows down the fans. If you're at the set temperature the fans are either off or on very low.

Try it - put it on auto and adjust the temp up and down and see what happens.

Thank you!!! I wish my wife would understand this. People have no idea how to use auto climate features. The fan will come on full blast if the temp differential from the setpoint is great. Once you achieve temp (or close the gap a bit) the fan will slow down to accommodate the smaller differential and finally stop blowing. I only ever change the temp and never the fan.

Concerning the lack of temp control on the dash display, can you not still use sync voice commands to change the temperature?

• Like 1

Thank you!!! I wish my wife would understand this. People have no idea how to use auto climate features. The fan will come on full blast if the temp differential from the setpoint is great. Once you achieve temp (or close the gap a bit) the fan will slow down to accommodate the smaller differential and finally stop blowing. I only ever change the temp and never the fan.

Concerning the lack of temp control on the dash display, can you not still use sync voice commands to change the temperature?

Yes you can use voice control.

I share your pain. My daughter (21) refuses to use the auto climate control. I've tried to show her how to adjust the temperature but she simply refuses to even listen to my explanation of how it works and how to use it. At least she only adjusts the fan speed.

At least the wife uses it correctly.

I also noticed that our 2016 MKX is super quiet even on high fan speed whereas my 2013 Fusion is very loud. That makes it easier but I do like the 3 levels that Waldo described for the Continental.

If climate is redundant then multimedia, phone and navigation are also redundant!

It makes no sense.

Ford removed a very very important feature from the car.

They should put it back with the next update.

How do we even update the 4.2" screens?

By the way, I never know what temperature I want, I want it colder or hotter with more or less fan noise.

It's not coming back. You can jump up and down and gripe all day long but it's not coming back.

You could always trade it for one with manual A/C.

• Like 1

How do you know it's not coming back?

I just tried using auto and only temperature and of course it simply does not work.

The car itself can control the temperature of the air put into the cabin together with the speed of fans.

It's not always the same temperature of the air the car is putting into the cabin, it controls the manifold opening.

Such a useful feature removed.

Why don't Ford remove also all other options, like navigation (redundant), multimedia (redundant) and phone (redundant)?

Why was such a useful feature removed?

This is how I must change climate now:

• Look down
  • Search for the temperature button
  • Look up
  • Search for the temperature information
  • Click buttons
  • Look down
  • Search for the fan speed button
  • Look up
  • Search for the fan speed information
  • Click buttons

Up to THREE SECONDS can pass while not looking on the road!

Why?

P.S.

What are the voice commands to say "one more/one less centigrade" and "faster" or "slower" fan speed?

I'm confused... if you never know what temperature you want then why do you include steps to look up and find the temperature information and again the same thing for the fan information? The steps should be look for temperature button, press plus if I'm cold or minus if I'm hot, find fan button, press plus if too slow or minus if too loud.

And the buttons are in a straight line but they have a distinct trim between them so they are not particularly difficult to distinguish once you're accustomed to their location... the left one is your temperature, the middle one the fan speed and a passenger can take care of their own temperature on the right switch.

I have found that the voice commands work well for climate control when needed - far better than they work for phone control. You can say "climate temperature increase" (or decrease) and "climate fan increase" (or decrease) along with "climate max AC on" (or off). If you say "climate temperature x degrees" and x is between 15 and 29 it will be Celsius; between 60 and 85 it will be Fahrenheit.

But really, the automatic climate control does a very good job of handling heating and cooling functions so once you find a comfortable setting you should be able to leave it alone almost all the time. I can't remember the last time I changed either the temperature or the fan speed.

How do you know it's not coming back?

I just tried using auto and only temperature and of course it simply does not work.

The car itself can control the temperature of the air put into the cabin together with the speed of fans.

It's not always the same temperature of the air the car is putting into the cabin, it controls the manifold opening.

Such a useful feature removed.

Why don't Ford remove also all other options, like navigation (redundant), multimedia (redundant) and phone (redundant)?

It would seem as though any response we offer you will not be satisfactory.

Why don't you use voice control?

What exactly is occurring when you use auto? What is the outside temp vs. your temp set point?

I just want to control thermostat temperature and fan speed without killing myself. That is all.

I used to be able to control climate via 4.2" screen and then Ford removed it, for no good reason at all.

It is a BUG, which Ford should fix.

Someone broke the build of the app and deployed it without a very important feature.

Yes it does. You just don't want to use it that way.

I guarantee if you set the temp to 72 and just change the fan speed it will work just fine.

There is no NEED to change the temp constantly.

Full automatic mode works fine, too. Unless I'm making a hands free phone call I never need to adjust the temp more than a degree or two.

• Like 1

Car Accident Caused By Driving Distraction

Driving distraction causes lack of concentration and attention for brief period. Distraction often occurs while playing with radio to search for a song or favorite station. Other causes of distraction while driving are eating or drinking while driving, talking to fellow passenger and talking on phone. Sometimes, driver is distracted by a spectacular scene and tries to watch the landscape or a panoramic view while driving, leading to accident.

As I posted a while back, the feature was removed specifically because of distraction. Customers complained that the vehicle as a whole was too confusing and so Ford decided to reduce the number of features to avoid confusion and thereby avoid distraction. It's not a bug, it was removed intentionally because customers were complaining.

As I mentioned before, I don't use the climate adjustments in the cluster because I find them too distracting, it's far easier and faster for me to just reach over and push the button on the rare occasions when I want to adjust it. Everyone has their preferences, but the majority has spoken and so the feature was removed. Unfortunately for you, you're in the minority.

• Like 1

As I posted a while back, the feature was removed specifically because of distraction. Customers complained that the vehicle as a whole was too confusing and so Ford decided to reduce the number of features to avoid confusion and thereby avoid distraction. It's not a bug, it was removed intentionally because customers were complaining.

As I mentioned before, I don't use the climate adjustments in the cluster because I find them too distracting, it's far easier and faster for me to just reach over and push the button on the rare occasions when I want to adjust it. Everyone has their preferences, but the majority has spoken and so the feature was removed. Unfortunately for you, you're in the minority.

Really?!

Let's remove then both 4.2" screens, they are too distracting!!!!

I would like to see where you are getting your information from.

Edited by Damir Čolak