Hood Deflector

Hi all! Just wondering how many of you have the original Ford hood deflector on your Edge. I have had my Ice Blue Edge on order for 2 weeks now and am thinking on whether or not to put one on when it comes in. I have always had one on for my Freestar van, Sport Trac before that and Aerostar before that. Are any of you getting paint chips coming off on the front of your hoods? Thanks in advance.

Dave

I was going to skip getting one for the Edge but I have already picked up a rock chip so I will be buying one after all. The olny thing that concerns me is putting the rubber bumpers on the paint. On our 2006 Explorer the dealer put them on the back side of the deflector instead of on the hood so I will see if they can do the same for the Edge.

I am not a big fan and would not likely do one... I do understand their value.... but this what you mean?

edgebugshield.jpg

On eBay there are these clear vinyl type kits that are see thru and go on critical parts of the car - like hood - for protection. kind of interesting.

d96d_1.JPG

I had the 3M kit on my Grand Prix and it did a great job at keeping the rock chips out of the paint. For the rockers, 18" up the hood and front fascia/bumper and the lower door panel it cost $670 installed. Not cheap but very good product. Not easy to see either when the car was clean, being that the car was black you could see the lines at times but a small price to pay for protecting the paint.

The olny thing that concerns me is putting the rubber bumpers on the paint. On our 2006 Explorer the dealer put them on the back side of the deflector instead of on the hood so I will see if they can do the same for the Edge.

I used to work for Deflecta-Shield, the original manufacturer of these. You NEVER want to stick the bumper to the shield. When you stick it to the shield it will inevitably start moving around with the movement of the shield. Invisible road grit will get between the bumper and your paint, and sand the paint off. We supplied expensive 3M 'Bump-On' bumpers with our shields, and never had a report of the adhesive harming the paint. We had MANY people try to blame us for paint damage, and in every case they stuck the bumper to the shield instead of the hood.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the acrylic or polycarbonate plastic in the shield will be attacked by the solvents in paste or liquid car wax. If you wax the shield it will turn dull and craze in short order...

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a note, these are not meant to protect the paint from stone chips. A lot of times the stone can't be deflected by the air foil that the shield creates. They are more for bugs and bug juice which can harm the paint just as bad if not washed off regularly. They also keep your windshield cleaner at higher speeds when the air foil can effectively draw a bug away from your windshield. Not that it won't also protect from some stones if they hit the shield directly.

I have one on my Avalanche and it also doesn't require any bumpers and is ridgid enough by itself and am contemplating putting one on the Edge. Maybe some manufacturers require them and some don't???

Edited by TN-EdgeSEL

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to skip getting one for the Edge but I have already picked up a rock chip so I will be buying one after all. The olny thing that concerns me is putting the rubber bumpers on the paint. On our 2006 Explorer the dealer put them on the back side of the deflector instead of on the hood so I will see if they can do the same for the Edge.

I believe that you're better off with the bumpers stuck to the paint......they will easily peel off and any adhesive residue will come off easily with WD-40 and a paper towel. If you put them on the back of the deflector, the paint could get worn off from the vibration of the deflector at high speeds.......at least, that's my take on it and that's how I"ve always done it on my vehicles with good results.

Jim

PS........I now see that KCFlyer beat me to the punch........aha! I was right!

Edited by jmichon1

My hood just got reapinted from the dealer due to a contamination under the paint that was causing serval spider craks to appear from under the paint.

My hood have 6-8 nice stone chip marks previously and I'm thinking about installing the Weathertech bug shield instead of the Ford shield.

Has anyone installed the Weathertec?

I don't want anymore chips, but I know that cleaning between the shield and the hood can be a pain in the A.

Anyone else have chipping problems? maybe soft paint?

• 2 weeks later...

I put the ford one on our 07 a couple week ago before a road trip. When we retuned I was looking at it at it has has cracked around some of the screw holes. Anyone else have this issue?

caborocker; When the weather warmed up around here some undercoating ran out over the grill, when I raised the hood to clean it up I found every mounting hole was cracked. Not just a small crack but real bad to the point where most of the bottom of the mounting tabs have fallen off. I plan on taking it back to see what Ford will do.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all! Just wondering how many of you have the original Ford hood deflector on your Edge. I have had my Ice Blue Edge on order for 2 weeks now and am thinking on whether or not to put one on when it comes in. I have always had one on for my Freestar van, Sport Trac before that and Aerostar before that. Are any of you getting paint chips coming off on the front of your hoods? Thanks in advance.

Dave

I put my own on after I bought My edge ck out my pics "I Like it!"

I put my own on after I bought My edge ck out my pics "I Like it!"

I just checked -- NO cracks About three months since I installed it. I was afraid if the dealer installed it, the guy's might use neumatic tools ( flat rate it ) and crack the plastic

I just checked -- NO cracks About three months since I installed it. I was afraid if the dealer installed it, the guy's might use neumatic tools ( flat rate it ) and crack the plastic

I had the dealer put one on my 08 Edge Ltd. Redfire, when we picked it up. It really makes the Edge look sporty to me. Definitely adds to it.